What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

the article says

They will boost the PAF’s AEW&C fleet, which is currently made up of three Erieyes serving 3 Squadron and four ZDK-03s with 4 Squadron.

Two of the PAF’s existing Erieyes were seriously damaged in a terrorist attack on PAF Base Minhas in August 2012, but have now been returned to service. Both were rebuilt by PAF personnel at PAC Kamra with support from Saab – the last aircraft returned to service in 2016.

It means paf will operate 6 Erieye's and 4 ZDK -03's, totaling 10 AEW&C's. That will be a formidable force multiplier for PAF.
I think it means one of our Erieyes got burnt to cinders in the Kamra Attack which is what Ex PAF people like Bilal Khan777 has been saying. There has been another plane which has been bought and PAF has procured/ordered another Erieye Radar. I thinl this will eventually return the numbers to 7.
The most inteeesting thing is the cost of the contract $120million. With PAC now known to have repaired the 2 other planes does this translate into PAC doing the integration work itself thereby saving a hell of a lot of money on labour costs. If this were to happen it would be a huge achievement for PAC.
A

It means paf will operate 6 Erieye's and 4 ZDK -03's, totaling 10 AEW&C's. That will be a formidable force multiplier for PAF.

Per modp even 4th one is being recovered for 130 or so million ? Not sure what it means in 2017 report

Bottomline paf will have it’s Saab 2k fleet as planned in the early phase 6 - 7 awacs plus transport before Chinese deal led to reduction in Saab 2k deal

Last edited:
The cat is out of the bag now cimpletely. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I want the relevant PAF staff who were lax to be punished for negligence. The other aspect which I understand was the need for secrecy as 3/4 of the Saab fleet down would have been demoralizing for the nation.

I think I told you all about this fiasco. Other than the written off bird, everything has been recovered and flying now, thanks to the brilliant work by Kamra.

I think I told you all about this fiasco. Other than the written off bird, everything has been recovered and flying now, thanks to the brilliant work by Kamra.
So the ploy worked . We got you to come out of self imposed retirement and put your input in. Welcome back. Your input has been missed.
Yes I remember our debate, my relative disbelief and your conviction. Now the question is what was aCtually acquired in the process of repairing the AWAC or was it true blue Pakistani habit of making a mole hill out of a grain of sand and some panel replacements. If you can answer that it would be informative.
A

Weren’t the new SAAB Erieyes suppose to start arriving before the end of the year? What’s the status?

So the ploy worked . We got you to come out of self imposed retirement and put your input in. Welcome back. Your input has been missed.
Yes I remember our debate, my relative disbelief and your conviction. Now the question is what was aCtually acquired in the process of repairing the AWAC or was it true blue Pakistani habit of making a mole hill out of a grain of sand and some panel replacements. If you can answer that it would be informative.
A

ha ha. Yes, i could not longer take it! Okay, one aircraft written off, two aircraft damaged, port and starboard side, all vertical services, radar air intakes, and outer panels, and vertical stabilizers and outer skins, such as in any high heat damage. Detailed surveys were done by PAC, those guys are very good. Most of these repairs were done by PAF. Most structure items were manufactured locally. Techniques developed to replicate SAAB's superior manufacturing skills. Two SAAB 2000 airline birds were taken from market, also some of the requirement parts. One come in complete pieces as were required, and was used to recover one aircraft. Other 02 flew in, one was used to recover the other bird, and now is a Christmas tree for support of fleet. One complete suite was procured from SAAB. A complete flying aircraft will now be fitted locally with the complete suite. This is the complete story. Now you can plug in the holes from public releases. Doubters will remain as doubters. As ACM Sohail Aman says, it is true. Over 200 Million USD were saved from SAAB's offer. Credit goes to him for his leadership in current and previous role. First SAAB refused to help, so PAF started working on their own. Then they came crying and sold the one complete ERIEYE system for pittance. Again Credit to ACM Sohail Aman. At the end, PAF has 04 SAAB again. A slap on the face of the enemy who uses cowardly asymmetric attacks against platforms that change the ORBAT in INDOPAK or AFPAK scenario. Cheers.

Last edited:
ha ha. Yes, i could not longer take it! Okay, one aircraft written off, two aircraft damaged, port and starboard side, all vertical services, radar intakes, and outer panels, and vertical stabilizers and out skins. Detailed surveys were done by PAC, those guys are very good. Two birds were taken from market, also all the parts. One come in complete pieces, and was used to recover one aircraft. Other 02 flew in, one was used to recover the other bird, and now is a Christmas tree for support of fleet. One complete suite was procured from SAAB. A complete flying aircraft will now be fitted locally with the complete suite. This is the complete story. Now you can plug in the holes from public releases. Doubters will remain as doubters. As ACM Sohail Aman says, it is true. Over 200 Million USD were saves from SAAB's offer. First they refused to help, so PAF started working on their own. Then they came crying and sold the one complete ERIEYE system for pittance. At the end, PAF has 04 SAAB again. A slap on the face of the enemy who uses cowardly asymmetric attacks against platforms that change the ORBAT in INDOPAK or AFPAK scenario. Cheers.
thank you. Great post. What about the 3 new ones. Do we have any part in the assembly which indicates the cost or are they being assembled and shifted to Pak.
A

ha ha. Yes, i could not longer take it! Okay, one aircraft written off, two aircraft damaged, port and starboard side, all vertical services, radar intakes, and outer panels, and vertical stabilizers and out skins. Detailed surveys were done by PAC, those guys are very good. Two birds were taken from market, also all the parts. One come in complete pieces, and was used to recover one aircraft. Other 02 flew in, one was used to recover the other bird, and now is a Christmas tree for support of fleet. One complete suite was procured from SAAB. A complete flying aircraft will now be fitted locally with the complete suite. This is the complete story. Now you can plug in the holes from public releases. Doubters will remain as doubters. As ACM Sohail Aman says, it is true. Over 200 Million USD were saves from SAAB's offer. First they refused to help, so PAF started working on their own. Then they came crying and sold the one complete ERIEYE system for pittance. At the end, PAF has 04 SAAB again. A slap on the face of the enemy who uses cowardly asymmetric attacks against platforms that change the ORBAT in INDOPAK or AFPAK scenario. Cheers.
but still its boil my blood why its happen first place

but still its boil my blood why its happen first place

I agree. That was sheer incompetence.

thank you. Great post. What about the 3 new ones. Do we have any part in the assembly which indicates the cost or are they being assembled and shifted to Pak.
A

New will come as new as contracted.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom