What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Would it be possible to fit the Saab 2000s with aerial refuelling probes? Surely JF-17's extendable probe could be fitted in the nose cone of the Saabs?

In an interview with PAF's Chief, he said that JF17 FC20 and F16 would have data pods which would link it to SAAB2000 Erieye. So i guess we can put aside that notion that only F16's could link up with SAAB2000 and Chinese aircrafts could link up with Chinese AWACS.

In an interview with PAF's Chief, he said that JF17 FC20 and F16 would have data pods which would link it to SAAB2000 Erieye. So i guess we can put aside that notion that only F16's could link up with SAAB2000 and Chinese aircrafts could link up with Chinese AWACS.

Thanks for the info mate. Can you post a link?
Also, why would F-16s need external data-link pods? I thought their MLU upgrades would give them Link-16?

There is nothing new.

This article is about the capabilities of the platform but where does it say that Pakistan will get the platform with jamming capabilities?

Hold on let me get the classified documents that reveal the PAF's EXACT specs for their aircraft.........:rolleyes:

Read between the lines and guess that it is a AESA system on the Erieye with all the inherent capabilities

Mate in order for the system to work would require access to the J-10 by western engineers (for link 16 to work). China would not allow any such access. And vice versa.

Pakistan will most likely interlink and integrate western and chinese systems through ground-based systems. However, I wouldn't be surprised if our engineers managed to do the "impossible" and integrate western weapons systems with the chinese systems. We've already managed to do that with our ground radars-i.e chinese, european, american-in our C4i system.

Mate in order for the system to work would require access to the J-10 by western engineers (for link 16 to work). China would not allow any such access. And vice versa.

Key,

I think its doable. The Link 16 is a secured DL. While it is secured, it does not mean that encryption at the same level cannot be done by other aircraft before transmitting to the Erieye.

Call me overly optimistic, but I am sticking to the point that PAF will integrate all of her AEW assets onto a common data linked grid and will not run two separate and disparate DL networks for the Western and Chinese inventory aircraft.

I'm with blain2... I am no optimist, but PAF will find a way. If it can't be done by the aircraft only, use ground control assets - this will be a problem if operating over enemy territory, but in that case just send either Chinese or Western platforms for the strike mission.
PAF knows the Chinese have an AWACS almost ready for them. Why would they buy expensive Erieyes if they know it's impossible for both platforms to be integrated?

ASIA PACIFIC

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2009

Jane's Defence Weekly

Pakistan plans to continue Erieye AEW&C aircraft purchase

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent - Islamabad

Pakistan remains committed to buying Saab 2000 Erieye airborne early-warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft from Sweden despite agreeing in December to procure four air warning and control system aircraft from China, a senior government official has told Jane's .

The official said on 15 January that the USD278 million contract signed with Beijing would not affect the estimated USD1.2 billion Erieye deal, which was first signed in 2005 before being renegotiated in mid-2007.

In recent months, concern has mounted over Pakistan's ability to purchase new military hardware in the face of mounting economic difficulties. Some analysts have also questioned the logic behind purchasing airborne early-warning systems from both China and Sweden, especially given the credit crunch.

However, the government official told Jane's that the Swedish system "was far more advanced than the Chinese aircraft" and would therefore still be purchased.

"[Meanwhile], Pakistan was dedicated to broadening its defence relationship in every field with China," he said.

Pakistan signed an agreement with China in 2006 for long-term co-operation in defence production. Since then, Pakistan has become the first country to sign up for the Chinese airborne early-warning aircraft.

According to one Western defence official, Pakistan is pursuing Chinese defence systems because it believes in China's ability to bridge the gap between its own hardware and that of Western suppliers. "Ultimately, Pakistan sees its investment in China paying off in a very big way," he said.

The Western official also pointed out that China is likely to have offered Islamabad long-term credit with easy repayment terms.

In a related development, senior Pakistan Air Force officials briefed President Asif Ali Zardari on 14 January over the capability of the JF-17 fighter, jointly produced by Pakistan and China.

The briefing took place as tensions remain high between Pakistan and India, following the Mumbai terrorist attack in November 2008.

A press release issued by Pakistan's government after the meeting said: "The meeting was informed that the aircraft will have an edge over its contemporary aircraft - particularly [the] Indian light combat aircraft - in terms of cost, early availability and supportability."

© 2009 Jane's Information Group

Given the costs of raising necessary infrastructure, I think there is still room for PAF to order more Erieye AEW&C if has the requirement & funds. However the ZDK03 gives Pakistan the opportunity to not only work on improving on the technology, but ultimately produce it locally.

can anyone please guide us about the current status of this machine,

have they been inducted or are we still waiting.

i am talking about both systems that is Erieye and the awacs

is there any such thing in current service and what exactly are we going to get,

i will really appreciate your guaidance

thankyou

From what I have read/heard, we will be inducting 5 SAAB 2000s and 5 KJ-2000s evntually. AWACS can be extremely efficient force multipliers, but having two separate sets of AWACS systems will prevent us from using them to their fullest potential.

Therefore to answer some of the questions about their integration. I do not think its a question of if but how . Pakistan will certainly try to indigenously develop a way of ingtegrating the two systems, giving Pakistan supreme coverage and increased capability in warfare.

From what I have read/heard, we will be inducting 5 SAAB 2000s and 5 KJ-2000s evntually. AWACS can be extremely efficient force multipliers, but having two separate sets of AWACS systems will prevent us from using them to their fullest potential.

Therefore to answer some of the questions about their integration. I do not think its a question of if but how . Pakistan will certainly try to indigenously develop a way of ingtegrating the two systems, giving Pakistan supreme coverage and increased capability in warfare.

so you mean that currently we are not having them, any of them???

Back
Top Bottom