What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

The AWACS are kept in separate locations in separate squadrons, 3 planes per squadron I think. There was a reason why first Minhas and then the other base was attacked as that's where two squadrons were supposed to be located at.
One Erieye's airframe was destroyed totally but the Radar and majority of the internal systems (workstations, servers, sensors) were salvageable. So more than likely, these will be put on a new SAAB airframe, however, some damaged items will be replaced with OEM parts, all wiring, sensor connections and testing will have to be done as part of this work.

Another AWACS was destroyed beyond repair, that was one of the ZDK's along with Orion. Due to the fact that terrorists are using sophisticated google maps, etc. PAF has started to hide these assets / shift the locations with limited knowledge so that not everyone knows about their schedules and movements. I think they keep 1 ZDK at Minhas because it is going through extensive maritime training and flight testing for feature enhancements. Once that's done, they might start to shift that ZDK to other locations too. What PAF desperately needs is a 12 - 14 feet concrete security wall around these sensitive hangers. As soon as there is gun fire, you close the gate, so no visibility to attackers as it's hard to target something over a 14-16 feet wall that then has hangers inside. Once an attack is discovered, the crew can immediately start to close hanger doors, which would form the second security tier inside the concrete wall. Plenty of safety from RPG's. It'll give time to security forces to take the bad guys down.

Well, You are totally wrong on ZDK destruction, it was typo by alan warnes. It was 1 damaged SAAB, 1 Destroyed SAAB.

The AWACS are kept in separate locations in separate squadrons, 3 planes per squadron I think. There was a reason why first Minhas and then the other base was attacked as that's where two squadrons were supposed to be located at.
One Erieye's airframe was destroyed totally but the Radar and majority of the internal systems (workstations, servers, sensors) were salvageable. So more than likely, these will be put on a new SAAB airframe, however, some damaged items will be replaced with OEM parts, all wiring, sensor connections and testing will have to be done as part of this work.

Another AWACS was destroyed beyond repair, that was one of the ZDK's along with Orion. Due to the fact that terrorists are using sophisticated google maps, etc. PAF has started to hide these assets / shift the locations with limited knowledge so that not everyone knows about their schedules and movements. I think they keep 1 ZDK at Minhas because it is going through extensive maritime training and flight testing for feature enhancements. Once that's done, they might start to shift that ZDK to other locations too. What PAF desperately needs is a 12 - 14 feet concrete security wall around these sensitive hangers. As soon as there is gun fire, you close the gate, so no visibility to attackers as it's hard to target something over a 14-16 feet wall that then has hangers inside. Once an attack is discovered, the crew can immediately start to close hanger doors, which would form the second security tier inside the concrete wall. Plenty of safety from RPG's. It'll give time to security forces to take the bad guys down.
Maritime training in PAF base Minhas??:o::o:
_62308786_pakistan_kamra_aug12.gif

Well, You are totally wrong on ZDK destruction, it was typo by alan warnes. It was 1 damaged SAAB, 1 Destroyed SAAB.

Are you sure about it? One of the ZDK serial number delivered has never been seen since. If you have some pictures of all three taken recently, I'd love to see those.

Are you sure about it? One of the ZDK serial number delivered has never been seen since. If you have some pictures of all three taken recently, I'd love to see those.

Last one isn't delivered yet

2264988.jpg

ZDK-03.jpg

operational+paf+Chinese+ZDK-03+Airborne+Early+Warning+and+Control+System+%2528AEW%2526C%2529+Karakoram+Eagle+active+electronically+scanned+array+radar+aesa+Pakistan+Air+Force+new+flying+air+in+service+%25283%2529.jpg

@Oscar @Dazzler Why there is such a discrepancy in serial numbers of ZDK ?

2264988.jpg

ZDK-03_003.jpg

ZDK-03.jpg

operational+paf+Chinese+ZDK-03+Airborne+Early+Warning+and+Control+System+(AEW&C)+Karakoram+Eagle+active+electronically+scanned+array+radar+aesa+Pakistan+Air+Force+new+flying+air+in+service+(3).jpg

Last edited:

Why there is such a discrepancy in serial numbers of ZDK ?

Thank you. When were these taken? I was talking about since the attacks. Second, its not Discrepancy, its the naming convention, the 11,12,13 refers to the year delivered I believe.

Thank you. When were these taken? I was talking about since the attacks. Second, its not Discrepancy, its the naming convention, the 11,12,13 refers to the year delivered I believe.

No idea when they were taken. By discrepancy, why there serial number changed from 11 to 12 or from 12 to 13 ?

No idea when they were taken. By discrepancy, why there serial number changed from 11 to 12 or from 12 to 13 ?

Depends on the year of Induction. It is done sometimes for budgetary purposes, sometimes for logistical purposes.
The number to watch is the last three digits.

no zdk was ever destroyed, fourth one is not yet delivered due to systems and radar enhancement, rest will also be upgraded. saab officials in pk, work on saab 2000 conversion to erieye underway.

2264988.jpg

ZDK-03.jpg

operational+paf+Chinese+ZDK-03+Airborne+Early+Warning+and+Control+System+%2528AEW%2526C%2529+Karakoram+Eagle+active+electronically+scanned+array+radar+aesa+Pakistan+Air+Force+new+flying+air+in+service+%25283%2529.jpg

@Oscar @Dazzler Why there is such a discrepancy in serial numbers of ZDK ?

2264988.jpg

ZDK-03_003.jpg

ZDK-03.jpg

operational+paf+Chinese+ZDK-03+Airborne+Early+Warning+and+Control+System+(AEW&C)+Karakoram+Eagle+active+electronically+scanned+array+radar+aesa+Pakistan+Air+Force+new+flying+air+in+service+(3).jpg

due to delay in induction, they had to change serial numbers, originally all four were supposed to be in service by 2013.

Last edited:
no zdk was ever destroyed, fourth one is not yet delivered due to systems and radar enhancement, rest will also be upgraded. saab officials in pk, work on saab 2000 conversion to erieye underway.

Are upgrades based upon KJ-500?

Are upgrades based upon KJ-500?

As per H Khan

AFAIK, 004 is not delivered yet? 003 got delivered in June 0f 2013. But so far there are no indication of arrival of 004.

I know there were certain modification being performed on the last aircraft since PAF is planning to order 3 or 4 more of these aircrafts.

Some points about ZDK-03 and couple of other items of interest.

Y8P (formerly ZKD-08) has two antennas with horizontal mechanical scanning. Its range is 2m2 aerial targets is 300Km. It tracks 9 aircrafts simultaneously. It has a very good maritime search capability. PAF is developing their own data-link system able to integrate Y8P and Erieye. One of the main problems with Y8P is that it is so loud that even crew wearing headsets has to deal with engine/cabin loud noise. Pakistan is very happy with it intends to order three or four more aircrafts.

Klimov is offering RD93MA engine with 9,000kg reheat trust. Intended offer is for JF-17 and to install on J-31. But PAF/PAC has said that they have no plans to upgrade the trust on its JF-17.

CPMIEC is offering Pakistan FK3 SAM system in place of FD-2000 because the later is very expensive."

Last edited:
As per H Khan

AFAIK, 004 is not delivered yet? 003 got delivered in June 0f 2013. But so far there are no indication of arrival of 004.

I know there were certain modification being performed on the last aircraft since PAF is planning to order 3 or 4 more of these aircrafts.

Some points about ZDK-03 and couple of other items of interest.

Y8P (formerly ZKD-08) has two antennas with horizontal mechanical scanning. Its range is 2m2 aerial targets is 300Km. It tracks 9 aircrafts simultaneously. It has a very good maritime search capability. PAF is developing their own data-link system able to integrate Y8P and Erieye. One of the main problems with Y8P is that it is so loud that even crew wearing headsets has to deal with engine/cabin loud noise. Pakistan is very happy with it intends to order three or four more aircrafts.

Hmm Y-8 I was hoping Y-9 would be the platform the stretched version of Y-8.

i can confirm that no ZDK's were destroyed as.....
no 4 sqn is based at masroor-karachi and i know the OC quite well. all a/c are now dispersed at their respective airbases and not stored/parked together.

Back
Top Bottom