What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

As per H Khan

AFAIK, 004 is not delivered yet? 003 got delivered in June 0f 2013. But so far there are no indication of arrival of 004.

I know there were certain modification being performed on the last aircraft since PAF is planning to order 3 or 4 more of these aircrafts.

Some points about ZDK-03 and couple of other items of interest.

Y8P (formerly ZKD-08) has two antennas with horizontal mechanical scanning. Its range is 2m2 aerial targets is 300Km. It tracks 9 aircrafts simultaneously. It has a very good maritime search capability. PAF is developing their own data-link system able to integrate Y8P and Erieye. One of the main problems with Y8P is that it is so loud that even crew wearing headsets has to deal with engine/cabin loud noise. Pakistan is very happy with it intends to order three or four more aircrafts.

Klimov is offering RD93MA engine with 9,000kg reheat trust. Intended offer is for JF-17 and to install on J-31. But PAF/PAC has said that they have no plans to upgrade the trust on its JF-17.

CPMIEC is offering Pakistan FK3 SAM system in place of FD-2000 because the later is very expensive."

Why not take the Klimov offer and procure, say, 50 or so RD93MAs for BLK3? It's rumored to be having more physical changes, more thrust will help increase the overall payload/hardpoints on the JFT.

Why not take the Klimov offer and procure, say, 50 or so RD93MAs for BLK3? It's rumored to be having more physical changes, more thrust will help increase the overall payload/hardpoints on the JFT.
1. Bargaining
2. Stock
3. WS-13

It could be any of the above.

Hmm Y-8 I was hoping Y-9 would be the platform the stretched version of Y-8.

actually y8p is based on y8-f600 series which is in fact the y-9 initial platform with six blade propeller glass cockpit pressurised cabin solid nose and sttuctural improvements.

if what H Khan stated about range is true, than we have a very good platform in possession!

actually y8p is based on y8-f600 series which is in fact the y-9 initial platform with six blade propeller glass cockpit pressurised cabin solid nose and sttuctural improvements.

if what H Khan stated about range is true, than we have a very good platform in possession!

What about his comment on RD93MA?

As per H Khan

Y8P (formerly ZKD-08) has two antennas with horizontal mechanical scanning. Its range is 2m2 aerial targets is 300Km. It tracks 9 aircrafts simultaneously.

CPMIEC is offering Pakistan FK3 SAM system in place of FD-2000 because the later is very expensive."

How many does Erieye track and guide simultaneously ( 9 seems like a pretty low number in my opinion). Also any details on FK3 SAM's?

How many does Erieye track and guide simultaneously ( 9 seems like a pretty low number in my opinion). Also any details on FK3 SAM's?

9 in multitrack and engage mode is not bad at all

What about his comment on RD93MA?

we all have seen it being tested in china, whether paf goes for it or noy, its their choice

9 in multitrack and engage mode is not bad at all

What's the total track while scan capability? Lock / Engage mode reduces the number ofcourse but usually situational awareness / track while scan is a much larger number. How many PAF aircraft's it can guide simultaneously?

we all have seen it being tested in china, whether paf goes for it or noy, its their choice
Ok, thank you. I think Pakistan needed a long range / high altitude air defense system like last year so the sooner something credible is procured, the better it is.

What's the total track while scan capability? Lock / Engage mode reduces the number ofcourse but usually situational awareness / track while scan is a much larger number. How many PAF aircraft's it can guide simultaneously?

Ok, thank you. I think Pakistan needed a long range / high altitude air defense system like last year so the sooner something credible is procured, the better it is.
most welcome,

SAM story is a bit funny, china offered fd-2000 which was a cheaper version of hq-9, now fd2000 also has a cheaper version, we do make them work hard at times :D

i can confirm that no ZDK's were destroyed as.....
no 4 sqn is based at masroor-karachi and i know the OC quite well. all a/c are now dispersed at their respective airbases and not stored/parked together.

Was this being discussed seriously?

I think we all agreed that it was a typo...

I dont know why pakistan is not intrested in buying long range air defence missile systems.I dont think we ever had one in our history.Is there a reason behind this or pakistan does not need to buy these?

As per H Khan

I know there were certain modification being performed on the last aircraft since PAF is planning to order 3 or 4 more of these aircrafts.

in reply to that post I asked to H Khan the reason for additional ZDK, as I am not getting the logic behind this alleged possibility of additional order .... can someone help me to understand

7-8 ZDK for 150 JF-17 means 1 ZDK for every single squadron of JF-17, which appears to me such a lavish resource allocation as per PAF standards, secondly I don't think 7-8 squadron n of 17s would be stationed at 7-8 or different basses, so from the operational point of view I don't see any real need of additional orders, assuming that as of now it can only operable with JF-17s, for western fighters systems we are using SAAB 2000.

If this 'speculation' of HKhan is correct it be an indication of two different possibilities:
  • PAF has decided to increase the number of 17s or there is a strong possibility of induction of any other Chinese platform (again assuming that it is only operable with Chinese origin fighter)
  • PAF might has resolved the issue of direct link/DATA transfer b/w ZDK & F-16s
if someone can help .... or comment further ....???

Last edited:
in reply to that post I asked to H Khan the reason for additional ZDK, as I am not getting the logic behind this alleged possibility of additional order .... can someone help me to understand

7-8 ZDK for 150 JF-17 means 1 ZDK for every single squadron of JF-17, which appears to me such a lavish resource allocation as per PAF standards, secondly I don't think 7-8 square of 17s would be stationed at 7-8 or different basses, so from the operational point of view I don't see any real need of additional orders, assuming that as of now it can only operable with JF-17s, for western fighters systems we are using SAAB 2000.

If this 'speculation' of HKhan is correct it be an indication of two different possibilities:
  • PAF has decided to increase the number of 17s or there is a strong possibility of induction of any other Chinese platform (again assuming that it is only operable with Chinese origin fighter)
  • PAF might has resolved the issue of direct link/DATA transfer b/w ZDK & F-16s
if someone can help .... or comment further ....???

3-4 more would be based on KJ-500. Pakistan is building Navy bases in Balochistan. A permanent AWAC squadron ( First three or four with limited AESA scan) for navy is one of the possible scenarios why Pakistan would order more AWAC. Airborne radars for navy would fill the gaps that exist in surface ships long range detection capability while the latter 3-4 with true 360 degree capability would service Pakistan AF.

Tracking 9 targets seems pretty low. A small fighter sized radar can do that. Are we missing something here?
Piss poor actually, considering that the 20 year old E-2's APS-145 can track over 2000.
Perhaps the idea of tracking target means controlling interceptions. Even then , that figure is appalling if true.

Back
Top Bottom