What's new

Pakistanis steal electricity worth Rs 380 billion every year

An easy solution is to fix the tariff like property tax. By square footage of property. That way, nobody can escape scot-free even if the billing is not exact. Our utility bills have two parts: fixed and metered. Pakistan can convert all residential billing to fixed.

Then how will the system of underhand sale of power be profitable to those who maintain the system? The proceeds are disseminated far and wide into the system. There are many more effective ways of curbing this theft, but, like so many other correct steps needing to be taken, Pakistan simply refuses to do anything to fix such problems. It is by choice.

An easy solution is to fix the tariff like property tax. By square footage of property. That way, nobody can escape scot-free even if the billing is not exact. Our utility bills have two parts: fixed and metered. Pakistan can convert all residential billing to fixed.

Under the 18th Amendment, the provinces too have been given the power to levy taxes on electricity consumption, and also the power to determine the tariff for electricity distribution within their boundaries. The Federation vs Province power struggle has further aggravated the situation and the federal government has more than once accused provinces (esp. Sindh) of doing nothing to curb electricity theft

the federal government has more than once accused provinces (esp. Sindh) of doing nothing to curb electricity theft

There we go. The Federal government has many similar things that it can do to meet its responsibilities better, but it fails to do so either. The whole damned system is all talk, no walk. By intent.

Last edited:
Under the 18th Amendment, the provinces too have been given the power to levy taxes on electricity consumption, and also the power to determine the tariff for electricity distribution within their boundaries. The Federation vs Province power struggle has further aggravated the situation and the federal government has more than once accused provinces (esp. Sindh) of doing nothing to curb electricity theft
Instead of 'giving power to levy taxes' or 'accusing provinces of doing nothing', the Parliament can pass a law rationalizing electricity tariff to fixed charge basis, based on the square footage of the residence. In one go, all problems are solved. Just adjust the tariff (Say, 10 Rupees per month per square foot of habitable area) to match the cost of production and distribution. That way, there is no need even for residential metering. That is how I pay my bill for internet. I pay about $60 a month for 70 Megabit per second line. My provider does not measure how many bits I receive. Same with my garbage collection and wastewater service. Flat rate of $45 per month (for each service) irrespective of how much trash or wastewater I put out. Even our post office uses a flat rate envelope. Put anything in it and send it anywhere in the country for $10. Like this:
flat-rate-envelope.jpg

Instead of 'giving power to levy taxes' or 'accusing provinces of doing nothing', the Parliament can pass a law rationalizing electricity tariff to fixed charge basis, based on the square footage of the residence. In one go, all problems are solved. Just adjust the tariff (Say, 10 Rupees per month per square foot of habitable area) to match the cost of production and distribution. That way, there is no need even for residential metering. That is how I pay my bill for internet. I pay about $60 a month for 70 Megabit per second line. My provider does not measure how many bits I receive. Same with my garbage collection and wastewater service. Flat rate of $45 per month (for each service) irrespective of how much trash or wastewater I put out. Even our post office uses a flat rate envelope. Put anything in it and send it anywhere in the country for $10. Like this:
flat-rate-envelope.jpg
Bad idea- you encourage consumption this way.

The best way to do this is to hand disco companies to private companies and let them figure out how to recover cost with a mixture of policy and required investment.

Bad idea- you encourage consumption this way.

The best way to do this is to hand disco companies to private companies and let them figure out how to recover cost with a mixture of policy and required investment.
The problem with complete privatization is cherry picking. Private company will not like to deal with poor people's problem and will simply turn off power quickly for nonpayment and make it very hard to get connection again based on past history of delinquency. Compare USPS with FedEx. USPS gives guaranteed universal access at affordable rates. FedEx will cut deals with likes of Amazon and Walmart and quote $30 to you to ship a package. Have you ever wondered how Walmart can ship an item costing $35 for free while it costs you $25 to ship the item? Because Walmart pays $5 to FedEx/UPS.

Have you ever wondered how Walmart can ship an item costing $35 for free while it costs you $25 to ship the item? Because Walmart pays $5 to FedEx/UPS.

I think that is called a volume discount.

This is a common problem there. My distant relatives in Lahore do this. I’m pretty sure there was an incident where the electricity bill was close to $2k (which is pretty ridicules), they paid whoever and brought it down to a few hundred bucks. I hope the details are correct but that exactly what it was. Pakistan needs draconian laws to fix its problem in a quick, efficient way.

I’m starting to the problem from a Birds Eye view. It’s a loot-mar. A scheme to extract as much wealth from the country in the form of corruption and subsidies. I read somewhere the elites deliberately funded higher universities so their kids can attend free/inexpensive higher education. This came as the expense of whatever the equivalent is K-12 that we have here in the states. First order of business would be to form a national identity and consensus. They half-*** the Islamic one using the Saudi as a barometer. Once you get everyone on the same page, then it’s easier to push through laws to fix the major issues.

1971 should’ve a been great lesson in how not to make stupid decisions that can be undermine or taken advantage of by foreign enemies - cough cough Karachi 1990s

Last edited:
The problem with complete privatization is cherry picking. Private company will not like to deal with poor people's problem and will simply turn off power quickly for nonpayment and make it very hard to get connection again based on past history of delinquency. Compare USPS with FedEx. USPS gives guaranteed universal access at affordable rates. FedEx will cut deals with likes of Amazon and Walmart and quote $30 to you to ship a package. Have you ever wondered how Walmart can ship an item costing $35 for free while it costs you $25 to ship the item? Because Walmart pays $5 to FedEx/UPS.
Capitalism is brutal but as a principle, it’s a good idea. If you are poor and can’t afford to pay for a lot of electricity, you ought not to consume that much. It’s harsh but it seems right, doesn’t it?

Smart meters fix that in a second.

Have a metre on each pylon measuring the energy its receiving and sending out. Have a metre on each connected building measuring how much they've used.

If the usage between all the houses and the pylon doesn't add up - you've got a kundi.

Same if the amount transmitted and received between pylons doesn't add up.

What a country... shareef insaan ka pakistan may rehna should be made illegal, only criminals should be allowed to live in Pakistan.

Capitalism is brutal but as a principle, it’s a good idea. If you are poor and can’t afford to pay for a lot of electricity, you ought not to consume that much. It’s harsh but it seems right, doesn’t it?
The smart governance is being able to distinguish genuine need from criminality. A poor household with a few lightbulbs and may be a TV and computer is unlikely to be engaged in systematic theft. By charging a flat rate based on square footage, you are subsidizing them while providing a basic service. It can even be slabbed: First 500 sqft will be 1 rupee per sqft per month, next 500 sqft will be 10 rupees per sqft per month. After 1,000 sqft, it will be 100 rupees per sqft per month. After 10,000 sqft, it will be 1,000 rupees per sqft per month etc.,

Have a metre on each pylon measuring the energy its receiving and sending out. Have a metre on each connected building measuring how much they've used.

If the usage between all the houses and the pylon doesn't add up - you've got a kundi.

Problem is not measurement; everybody and his uncle knows how many kilowatt-hours have flown in a circuit but collecting it is the challenge.

What a country... shareef insaan ka pakistan may rehna should be made illegal, only criminals should be allowed to live in Pakistan.

Some would say that that goal has already been achieved, but not me. :D

Yeah but you have to invest it said pylons and have the political capital to go through with punishing whoever is guilty.
The smart governance is being able to distinguish genuine need from criminality. A poor household with a few lightbulbs and may be a TV and computer is unlikely to be engaged in systematic theft. By charging a flat rate based on square footage, you are subsidizing them while providing a basic service. It can even be slabbed: First 500 sqft will be 1 rupee per sqft per month, next 500 sqft will be 10 rupees per sqft per month. After 1,000 sqft, it will be 100 rupees per sqft per month. After 10,000 sqft, it will be 1,000 rupees per sqft per month etc.,

Problem is not measurement; everybody and his uncle knows how many kilowatt-hours have flown in a circuit but collecting it is the challenge.
it shouldn’t happen at the level of making market manipulations. Set the market price. It should be the same for every single person. If someone is poor, the govt can give him some additional income. Manipulating the market has never worked under any circumstance. Subsidies, even when targeted to poor people, do not work.

Back
Top Bottom