What's new

Pakistani transgender candidate to run for office

Dance

Reaction score
KARACHI: A member of Pakistan’s transgender community is to contest upcoming general elections on a ticket of equal rights, saying the community has more to offer than begging or dancing at weddings.

The elections, due by mid-May, will mark the first democratic transition of power after an elected government’s full term in Pakistan’s 65-year history.

It will also be the first time Pakistan’s estimated 500,000 “eunuchs” are eligible to seek office, after the Supreme Court in 2011 ordered the government to issue them with identity cards and to register them as voters.

In Pakistan, the word “eunuch” is also used to refer to hermaphrodites, transsexuals, transvestites and homosexuals in addition to castrated men.

Those classified as eunuchs are traditionally paid to help celebrate the birth of a son, or to dance at weddings.

“It is not our destiny to merely dance for others and hold begging bowls. We have a life to live,” Sanam Fakir, 32, told AFP by telephone from the town of Sukkur in Sindh.

The elections will be for the national parliament and provincial assemblies.

Seats in Pakistan are often won on a patronage basis, giving wealthy landlords and entrenched political parties a huge advantage.

Running as an independent in Sukkur, which is traditionally dominated by the main ruling Pakistan People’s Party and which has a tiny transgender community, Fakir’s chances are slim of winning a seat in the Sindh provincial assembly.

“We are not corrupt. We have no need to be corrupt. We have no families and our own needs are limited. We are contented people,” Fakir told AFP.

“I know it is very difficult to defeat them, but everyone should contribute for the betterment of society,” she added.

But in a conservative Muslim country where sexual relations outside marriage are taboo and homosexuality is illegal, “eunuchs” are treated as sex objects and often become the victims of assault, ending up as beggars and prostitutes.

Fakir completed 10th grade in school and now runs a charity, which includes a computer centre for members of her community.

“We are getting educated now. People used to make fun of us, but now they have started to respect us,” she said.

Pakistani transgender candidate to run for office | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Sanam Fakir will have to include other concerns than those that may appeal to a small segment of society - I hope she is successful and is actually effective - and that we may see a society that is moving past external appearances

That's a great step toward a bright future of Pakistani society!

I highly appreciate Pakistanis for this. Congratulations friends!

WTF! Transgender are notorious for immoral activities in every corner of Pakistan!
They should be refrained from holding any office in government.

Good news! I wish to see a tolerant Pakistan that does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation etc.

When Canada has a transgender PM then come and talk.

WTF! Transgender are notorious for immoral activities in every corner of Pakistan!

Muslims are known for terrorism around the world, should every country ban them from running for office?

When Canada has a transgender PM then come and talk.
What does this have to do with any thing? Has Canada ever stopped any transgender from running for office?

Muslims are known for terrorism around the world, should every country ban them from running for office? What does this have to do with any thing? Has Canada ever stopped any transgender from running for office?
Thanks for this post. I wanted to make it, but you are saying this bears more weight.

People hate generalization when made against them while they make same against others.

Muslims are known for terrorism around the world, should every country ban them from running for office?
Gays have limited rights even in liberal west nations so why the hell should this nation over glorify gay people? Have you ever read about Nation of Lut? Then do you wonder why Pakistan is constantly facing disasters after another?

That thing is going to die before you even know it. Poor Pakistan.

Abe Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr. too were shot dead. But abolition and civil rights did come home.

Opposing forces have always been, and will always be there.

On Pakistan's part, it is an effort, and that is why it is commendable. Otherwise, Pakistan has lately been bracketed with Saudi Arabia in terms of prevalence of intolerance and extremist ideologies. This news shows the opposite.

Similarly, had the people, who oppose the violence perpetrated by extremists in Pakistan, been proactive and making tireless efforts in condemning such acts, the pressure on the government and establishment would have been much higher, and might have bore some results.

But I guess great things require great sacrifices.

@Myth_buster_1, immorality does not come with gender, religion, color, caste, or creed. No matter how hard you try, you cannot find any specific group that does not have its own good share of immoral elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gays have limited rights even in liberal west nations so why the hell should this nation over glorify gay people?

In true Western liberal nations, gays have equal rights. Infact in my province Ontario, the Premier is a lesbian woman. So now please stop barking about limited rights. No one is saying to over glorify anyone, give everyone the equal rights and freedoms they deserve.

Have you ever read about Nation of Lut? Then do you wonder why Pakistan is constantly facing disasters after another?

Not sure whether to laugh or face palm at this. :hitwall:

In true Western liberal nations, gays have equal rights. Infact in my province Ontario, the Premier is a lesbian woman. So now please stop barking about limited rights. No one is saying to over glorify anyone, give everyone the equal rights and freedoms they deserve.
Well congratulations! you can now enjoy your freedom.

Not sure whether to laugh or face palm at this.
well you can ignore it if you are a liberal atheist.

ShabnamMausi.jpg

In India a transgender "Shabnam Mausi" was elected as member of the Madhya Pradesh State Legislative Assembly.

I am pretty sure that this person will be soon targeted by extremists.

This proves that men have uncontrolled immoral tool going haywire in every nook and corner of Pakistan NOT transgenders.

You guys must find some cracks in trees and walls to satisfy your frustration and stay away from forcing transgenders

Back
Top Bottom