What's new

Pakistani pilot writes after 46 years to daughter of Indian pilot he shot d

So there's still some hope between all these hatred. :smitten:

:pakistan:
1465.gif

one question the plane was well within the indian border....how many kilometers does a plane needs to get before it is considered hostile. i remember the atlantquie episode in november 1999 when india shot the plane down within pakistani borders. so in Kutch and kashmir how close does an aircraft need to get?

one question the plane was well within the indian border....how many kilometers does a plane needs to get before it is considered hostile. i remember the atlantquie episode in november 1999 when india shot the plane down within pakistani borders. so in Kutch and kashmir how close does an aircraft need to get?

Hope this will help you:

1991 bilateral agreement between Pakistan and India on air violations, which states: "Combat aircraft (including, Bombers, Reconnaissance aircrafts, Jet military trainers and Armed helicopters) will not fly within 10 km of each other’s airspace including Air Defense Identification Zone."

In otherwords an aircraft doesn't have to cross the border to be considered hostile.

The Pakistani pilot was in an impossible position... and this happens to all armed forces people in combat.

You are taught to obey orders, yet at the same time, are taught that you MUST question an order that you consider illegal, and you are REQUIRED to disobey orders that you KNOW violate the rules of war. So the German who says "I was just following orders" is still guilty of murdering the Russian Jews in the ditch they just dug.

The problem is, if you don't follow the orders, you yourself could be imprisoned or shot.

If the Pakistani pilot was ordered to "strafe those civilians fleeing down the road" then he would be required to question and then disobey. But this case is less obvious. If the transport was a military airplane in a time of war, it's fair game. In time of peace... ouch. I don't know.

I had friends who were A-10 guys who participated in the "Highway of Death" thing in the Kuwait conflict. Some of them don't sleep well. But that Iraqi convoy was a valid military target. The coalition was in the "exploitation" phase, when their war plan had ripped the Iraqi forces to fragments, they were in full retreat, and in the open. You cannot let them go. It's part of the ugliness of war.

thats very unprofessional of him even to write such a letter...
in a war you are out there to kill and get killed....ok there are limits.....but in a battlefield if you dont kill your enmy..they kill you....
why apologize.

in this case it was a civil aircraft..but it was taking part in military activity..so it was a legit target.
there was this soviet pilot who shot down a civilian jumbo jet in which hundreds of civilians died...his interview was shown on nat geo "air crash investigation" and he was adamant...
he said he followed the procedure...which was to try radio contact...fire warning shots..and wait and then shoot down the plane.....
although the warning rounds had to be tracer which they went and the plane had probleme with rwdio thats why the pilots couldnt respond....but the soviet pilot as sat with clear conscience saying he followed the procedure before shooting the plane.

These pilots are a different breed themselves...... In-spite of all the enmity the RAF and Luftwaffe respected each other....
This man just did what he felt was right.... Lot of applause .....
One sane thread after a long time.

in a war you are out there to kill and get killed....ok there are limits.....but in a battlefield if you dont kill your enmy..they kill you....
why apologize.
Well that is what set him apart from people like U.......

Great gesture from him....in such situations there is no room for error & emotions...there are very few cards to play...ELINT aircraft wears civilian markings differentiating between aggressor and civilian is very difficult....hatever he did was natural, any soldier in similar situations would have done that, ...good part is that after 46 years,he accepts his actions done under the line of duty.

Narrating such an events takes alot of courage, one can judge his great character from this conversion. God bless him and the IAF pilot!

you see, when a pilot is engaging enemy aircraft (any aircraft) -- he must be cleared by his superiors (who are on the ground and directing operations)

the pilot is simply following orders; and contrary to popular belief -- even by the jingoists --- pressing the button when there's a ''target lock-on'' is not always the easiest or pleasurable thing. But its a necessity. That's war!!!! Even when you know he's got wife or maybe kids, when you're in the heat of the moment and when you're defending your country, you don't think much about that kind of stuff. You can't.

I think Flg. Officer (r) Q, Hussain's gesture is a genuine one. He served his country well, but also showed that we are not ''heartless'' or ''evil'' people the way some people tend to deduce us as ;)

why apologize.

in this case it was a civil aircraft..but it was taking part in military activity..so it was a legit target.
there was this soviet pilot who shot down a civilian jumbo jet in which hundreds of civilians died...his interview was shown on nat geo "air crash investigation" and he was adamant...
he said he followed the procedure...which was to try radio contact...fire warning shots..and wait and then shoot down the plane.....
although the warning rounds had to be tracer which they went and the plane had probleme with rwdio thats why the pilots couldnt respond....but the soviet pilot as sat with clear conscience saying he followed the procedure before shooting the plane.

once you put on your uniform you are soldier but once you put off that uniform you are equally a human too.

The Pakistani pilot was in an impossible position... and this happens to all armed forces people in combat.

You are taught to obey orders, yet at the same time, are taught that you MUST question an order that you consider illegal, and you are REQUIRED to disobey orders that you KNOW violate the rules of war. So the German who says "I was just following orders" is still guilty of murdering the Russian Jews in the ditch they just dug.

The problem is, if you don't follow the orders, you yourself could be imprisoned or shot.

If the Pakistani pilot was ordered to "strafe those civilians fleeing down the road" then he would be required to question and then disobey. But this case is less obvious. If the transport was a military airplane in a time of war, it's fair game. In time of peace... ouch. I don't know.

I had friends who were A-10 guys who participated in the "Highway of Death" thing in the Kuwait conflict. Some of them don't sleep well. But that Iraqi convoy was a valid military target. The coalition was in the "exploitation" phase, when their war plan had ripped the Iraqi forces to fragments, they were in full retreat, and in the open. You cannot let them go. It's part of the ugliness of war.
The Air Craft was shot down during war - As both India and Pakistan were at war so both air forces were on full alert any Air Craft whether it's transport of fighter near Pakistan Air Space was considered a threat as such the transport Air Craft was shot down because the Commander thought it was doing reconnaissance on particular area to open a new war front there.
. I caught sight of him at 3000’ and made a pass so close that I could read his markings and the number of the aircraft. Your father spotted my presence immediately and he started climbing and waggling his wings seeking mercy. Instead of firing at him at first sight, I relayed to my controller that I had intercepted an eight seat transport aircraft (guessing by the four side windows) and wanted further instructions to deal with it. At the same time, I was hoping that I would be called back without firing a shot. There was a lapse of 3 to 4 long minutes before I was given clear orders to shoot the aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom