What's new

Pakistani pilot writes after 46 years to daughter of Indian pilot he shot d

Date: Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM
Subject: Condolence
To: faridasingh
Cc: naushpatel, jaganpvs
Dear Mrs. Singh,
I am glad that by now we know about each other and it is no surprise that I am writing to you, thanks to Naushad Patel and Jagan Pillarisetti.
The incident happened 46 years back but it is as fresh in my mind as if it had happened yesterday. The aircraft flown by your father had drifted off course by many a miles and in his search for the destination, he had been going up and down in the border area of Rann of Katchh for quite some time and it made our Radar Controllers uncomfortable. I happened to be strapped up in my aircraft along with another pilot (my Leader) in his, on two minutes take-off alert. We were scrambled but I had to take off alone, and with the help from my radar controller, intercepted your father&#8217;s aircraft which was considered to be on a recce mission to open a new war front. I caught sight of him at 3000&#8217; and made a pass so close that I could read his markings and the number of the aircraft. Your father spotted my presence immediately and he started climbing and waggling his wings seeking mercy. Instead of firing at him at first sight, I relayed to my controller that I had intercepted an eight seat transport aircraft (guessing by the four side windows) and wanted further instructions to deal with it. At the same time, I was hoping that I would be called back without firing a shot. There was a lapse of 3 to 4 long minutes before I was given clear orders to shoot the aircraft.
After the shooting, I had a sense of achievement and satisfaction that I had completed my mission and destroyed any recce data that might have been collected to open a new war front. I landed back at Mauripur, Karachi with my fuel tanks bone dry and was greeted by my seniors and other squadron colleagues. Later that evening, All India Radio announced the names of the occupants who had lost their lives in that aircraft.
The reason that I have been trying to get in touch with you since recently is an article by Air Cdre Kaiser Tufail in April 2011, in which he researched the whole incident and came out with his story by interviewing me, the radar controller (a Flying Officer) and his supervisor (a Wing Commander) who took the decision to order the shoot. I have also read numerous versions that appeared in the Indian media at the time, said to be eyewitness accounts from peasants of Mithapur which are unfortunately based on hearsay. Even the findings of an Enquiry Committee constituted by the Indian Government are nowhere near to what actually happened. I was alone at the site of incident while my Leader who took off finally about 6 to 7 minutes after me (due to change of aircraft and a new pilot), was perched at the border at 20,000&#8217; acting as a relay station between me and the controller at Badin. I had lost contact somewhere while descending to 3,000&#8217; and had we not had this aircraft at 20,000&#8217; at the border, I would not have found your father&#8217;s aircraft and he would not have lost his life along with all the others. Nonetheless, the unfortunate part in all this is that I had to execute the orders of my controller.
Mrs Singh, I have chosen to go into this detail to tell you that it all happened in the line of duty and it was not governed by the concept that &#8220;everything is fair in love and war&#8221;, the way it has been portrayed by the Indian media due to lack of information. I did not play foul and went by the rules of business but the unfortunate loss of precious lives, no matter how it happens, hurts each human and I am no exception. I feel sorry for you, your family and the other seven families who lost their dearest ones. I feel greatly grieved that you lost your brother Noshir recently. If an opportunity ever arises that I could meet you face to face to condole the death of your father 46 years back I would grab it with both hands. I would highly appreciate if you please convey my feelings to the other members of your family, who were equally hurt by the untimely departure of Jungoo to the next world.
I hope and pray that you and your family stay well
My best regards&#8230;
Qais

Why could not the aircraft be force landed ?

that is more up to the pilot of the other aircraft....i believe in those days (maybe now as well?) a sign of surrender is when they lower the aircraft's landing gear

_54530940_54530939.jpg

The daughter of a dead Indian pilot has thanked a Pakistani fighter pilot for apologising after shooting down the aircraft that her father was commanding more than four decades ago.

Farida Singh said the incident happened in the "confusion of a tragic war".

Her father Jahangir Engineer was flying the plane which had apparently drifted off course along the border.

Qais Hussain, who was a Pakistani pilot during the 1965 war with India, shot down the eight-seater plane.

Earlier, he wrote to Mrs Singh saying he was sorry for the loss of precious lives during the incident and was acting under orders from his superiors.

The Pakistanis suspected the craft of being on a reconnaissance mission to open a new war front.

Mr Hussain was ordered to shoot it down, despite pleas for mercy by Mr Engineer.

The former fighter pilot said that when he landed back at an air base at Karachi, he felt highly elated for having completed the mission.

'Overwhelmed'
But the mood changed later that evening when All India Radio announced that the plane had been a civilian Indian aircraft with eight people on board.

In a letter to Farida Singh, Mr Hussain said that everyone connected with the incident felt sorry and dejected.

Continue reading the main story
&#8220;
Start Quote

The fact that this all happened in the confusion of a tragic war was never lost to us &#8221;

Farida Singh
Daughter of dead pilot
Mrs Singh replied that she was "somewhat overwhelmed" at receiving the letter. She said the death of her father had "defined our lives".

"But in all the struggles that followed, we never, not for one moment, bore bitterness or hatred for the person who actually pulled the trigger and caused my father's death," she wrote.

"The fact that this all happened in the confusion of a tragic war was never lost to us. We are all pawns in this terrible game of war and peace."

Describing her father as an "ace pilot, a great leader of men [and] a willing team player", Mrs Singh said he was also generous of spirit.

"Hence it is now easy for me to reach out my hand to receive your message. This incident is indeed a prime example of what damage strife and mindless battles can drive even good men to do," she said.

Mr Hussain said he decided to write to the family after all these years when an opportunity arose through his contacts in India, who put him in touch with the pilot's daughter.

"I feel sorry for you, your family and the other seven families who lost their dearest ones," his letter stated.

BBC News - India pilot daughter accepts Pakistan pilot&#039;s &#039;remorse&#039;

Very positive response from miss Farida Singh. Truly appreciable. :tup:

Humane gesture by the pilot and equally good response from Farida... Humanity is not lost.

PAF pilot says he did not apologise, only shared the grief

Former Pakistan Air Force (PAF) Flying Officer Qais Hussain, who fought for Pakistan in the 1965 war, has made it clear that while writing a condolence letter to the daughter of an Indian pilot whose plane he had downed 46 years ago, he neither apologised nor expressed remorse for his act which was carried in the line of duty.

In an exclusive interview with The News, Qais Hussain said he did not intend to apologise to the daughter of the Indian pilot and his only intention was to share the grief of her family members. “The Indian media has interpreted my goodwill gesture as an apology and repentance despite the fact that there is no such thing in my letter.

Read fully story at the link given below.

PAF pilot says he did not apologise, only shared the grief

Indians also shot 2 unarmed Pakistani planes during "PEACE TIME" and never apologized...

Who has the bigger heart .... tht despite shooting a indian plane coz of the indian pilots mistake... Our pilot still sent condolences to his family...

^^^1999 incident was at the height of tensions due to Kargil war. And the Plane was first ordered to land, not shoot at sight despite it was a military jet.

I am of the view that 'apologies' if any should come from the mouths responsible for 'war'.

^^^1999 incident was at the height of tensions due to Kargil war. And the Plane was first ordered to land, not shoot at sight despite it was a military jet.

A plane flying in Pakistani territory. ordered to land in india by your thugs.

and military unarmed jet..every one knew that..its a maritime patrol aircraft i didnt think so it could have been hunting submarines on the land

Somewhat surprised that no member has posted the gentleman's picture here.
Any way, F/O Qais Hussain then and now.

qais-with-his-damaged-aircraft.jpg

85911070-former-pak.jpg

The Planet Earth is Blossoming due to these kind of people....Good Gesture...

Back
Top Bottom