What's new

Pakistani mega hit film ‘'Waar'’ | Reviews & Discussions.

Cinematography makes it big.

Script is weak but people watched it for its technical finesse

Cinematography makes it big.

Script is weak but people watched it for its technical finesse

Bajii, apnay film dekhi hain??

Can somebody plz give me links?

We waited for two years for this film. And Pakistanis in US have to wait longer......................

my favourite dialgoue from the movie

Mujtaba: No there is a third option "Go F**K Yourself" (saying this from memory, the whole theater laughed their *** off on this, the dialogue and the way it was delivered was EPIC)

Another was when Mujtaba was beating the shitt out of the terrorist, Jawaria says something to make her brother stop him, her brother says, "to make omelet you need to break eggs" :laugh:

Can somebody plz give me links?

We waited for two years for this film. And Pakistanis in US have to wait longer......................

chaudhary sahib kia zamana aa giya hai, tarliyaan tay uttar aye ho? :lol:

oh yara pehlay bata, you could have planned it with us... but do go and watch, its totally worth it

Grrrr!!! Missed the chance, wanna go watch it again? Do tell me if you'll.. :D

or do go to some good cinema, phir or kahen per bhi movie dekhna acha nahi lagay ga, cinema ka apna hi maza hai :D

Any suggestions on good cinema and how to book ticket?

Waar is finally in cinemas or is it. Hell I have been locked away from the entire world for one month. Would someone fill me in on the latest?

lol yes ... you see when he said "no there is a third option" for split second our mind goes "hmm what would that be, maybe he can (different measure which can be taken to sort out the situation, saying this to avoid any spoilers) or do that" but than he delivers that message ... and you are like "OMFG that was so bad a$$"

How dare you put a swear word in front of God. Aap ko sharam nahi ahi aur nahi Khuda ka khauf.

Waar is finally in cinemas or is it. Hell I have been locked away from the entire world for one month. Would someone fill me in on the latest?

Release bhi hogayi aur record business bhi kar rahi hai. Tum kahan thai bhai jo tumhain nahi pata. IS movie nai to dhoom macha di hai. :)

Back in the picture

Entering the cinema, I wondered if Zinda Bhaag would be all that they were saying it was. Turns out the neo-realistic film, set in inner city Lahore and directed by Farjad Nabi and Meenu Gaur, was more. Watching the scene where Khaldi, a young man desperate to get out of Pakistan, looks with burning eyes and a quiet longing at his friend Chitta, who is leaving as an illegal immigrant to Italy, I realized that Pakistani cinema had finally arrived.

Zinda Bhaag is the country's first entry to this year's Oscars, in the foreign language film category. But equally important, the film's box-office collections (75 lakh Pakistani rupees in its first week) are an indication that Pakistanis are returning to the cinema. Many youngsters queuing up at the new multiplexes mushrooming across cities are discovering Pakistani films for the first time.

For over a decade, barring the occasional activism-laden films, very few movies have been produced in Pakistan. After the fall of East Pakistan (now Bangaldesh), Pakistan lost over 1,100 cinema screens and a major chunk of talent and technical expertise of the film industry. That, coupled with the steep taxation policies of the mid-'70s, discouraged traditional investors, and new financers entered the game. "Investors, primarily from Punjab, who wanted to turn black money into white via the film industry affected the kind of films made," says Pakistani film critic Rafay Mahmood, referring to the crass, violence-fuelled Punjabi entertainers that became the staple. Pushto films from the northwest province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa suffered a similar fate.

Pakistani television then became the benchmark for quality, and soon cinema had to compete with this mass medium. Realistic serials like Khuda ki Basti (1969-74) and Waris (1980) were both critically-acclaimed and successful. The ban on Bollywood, in place since 1965, was only lifted in President Musharraf's era, with a restored version of Mughal-e-Azam that paved the way for more Indian releases. But families preferred watching these films from across the border on their VCRs, as it was both convenient and cheaper.

The 'revival' of indigenous films today is due to a number of factors, including the success of Bollywood in Pakistan, which revived exhibitor interest. The advent of multiplexes over the last two years has also helped. The mid 2000s saw a surge in graduates from local institutes like the National Academy of Performing Arts (NAPA) in Karachi, all keen to act in films in Pakistan. They will find a supporter in Nadeem Mandviwalla, the man behind The Platform, Pakistan's first independent film distribution body launched a few months ago. Mandviwalla promises to incentivize filmmakers experimenting with alternate genres by helping them with film distribution and promotions. Also the owner of multiscreen cinemas like Atrium in Karachi and Centaurus Cineplex in Islamabad, he is enthusiastic about the work he is seeing today. "An industry that had not made films for the last 10 years comes up with Mein Hoon Shahid Afridi (MHSA) and Waar. Imagine what they will produce a decade from now," he says.

MHSA, touted as Pakistan's first commercial sports film, was produced by and stars Humayun Saeed, a reputed TV star. Saeed believes local cinema needs more support from distributors, who push foreign films because they generate higher revenues. Director Bilal Lashari's Waar, an English film about terrorism starring the industry's only superstar Shaan, released Oct 16 and has reportedly beaten Chennai Express's opening day box-office collections in Pakistan.

Critics agree that the latest offerings of Pakistani cinema have a freshness reminiscent at times of the acclaimed films of Iran. Which is why Mahmood refers to this phase as the birth, not rebirth, of Pakistani cinema. "It is no longer Lollywood. It is something new," he states.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-10-20/deep-focus/43220126_1_film-industry-farjad-nabi-meenu-gaur

Back in the picture

Entering the cinema, I wondered if Zinda Bhaag would be all that they were saying it was. Turns out the neo-realistic film, set in inner city Lahore and directed by Farjad Nabi and Meenu Gaur, was more. Watching the scene where Khaldi, a young man desperate to get out of Pakistan, looks with burning eyes and a quiet longing at his friend Chitta, who is leaving as an illegal immigrant to Italy, I realized that Pakistani cinema had finally arrived.

Zinda Bhaag is the country's first entry to this year's Oscars, in the foreign language film category. But equally important, the film's box-office collections (75 lakh Pakistani rupees in its first week) are an indication that Pakistanis are returning to the cinema. Many youngsters queuing up at the new multiplexes mushrooming across cities are discovering Pakistani films for the first time.

For over a decade, barring the occasional activism-laden films, very few movies have been produced in Pakistan. After the fall of East Pakistan (now Bangaldesh), Pakistan lost over 1,100 cinema screens and a major chunk of talent and technical expertise of the film industry. That, coupled with the steep taxation policies of the mid-'70s, discouraged traditional investors, and new financers entered the game. "Investors, primarily from Punjab, who wanted to turn black money into white via the film industry affected the kind of films made," says Pakistani film critic Rafay Mahmood, referring to the crass, violence-fuelled Punjabi entertainers that became the staple. Pushto films from the northwest province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa suffered a similar fate.

Pakistani television then became the benchmark for quality, and soon cinema had to compete with this mass medium. Realistic serials like Khuda ki Basti (1969-74) and Waris (1980) were both critically-acclaimed and successful. The ban on Bollywood, in place since 1965, was only lifted in President Musharraf's era, with a restored version of Mughal-e-Azam that paved the way for more Indian releases. But families preferred watching these films from across the border on their VCRs, as it was both convenient and cheaper.

The 'revival' of indigenous films today is due to a number of factors, including the success of Bollywood in Pakistan, which revived exhibitor interest. The advent of multiplexes over the last two years has also helped. The mid 2000s saw a surge in graduates from local institutes like the National Academy of Performing Arts (NAPA) in Karachi, all keen to act in films in Pakistan. They will find a supporter in Nadeem Mandviwalla, the man behind The Platform, Pakistan's first independent film distribution body launched a few months ago. Mandviwalla promises to incentivize filmmakers experimenting with alternate genres by helping them with film distribution and promotions. Also the owner of multiscreen cinemas like Atrium in Karachi and Centaurus Cineplex in Islamabad, he is enthusiastic about the work he is seeing today. "An industry that had not made films for the last 10 years comes up with Mein Hoon Shahid Afridi (MHSA) and Waar. Imagine what they will produce a decade from now," he says.

MHSA, touted as Pakistan's first commercial sports film, was produced by and stars Humayun Saeed, a reputed TV star. Saeed believes local cinema needs more support from distributors, who push foreign films because they generate higher revenues. Director Bilal Lashari's Waar, an English film about terrorism starring the industry's only superstar Shaan, released Oct 16 and has reportedly beaten Chennai Express's opening day box-office collections in Pakistan.

Critics agree that the latest offerings of Pakistani cinema have a freshness reminiscent at times of the acclaimed films of Iran. Which is why Mahmood refers to this phase as the birth, not rebirth, of Pakistani cinema. "It is no longer Lollywood. It is something new," he states.

Back in the picture - Times Of India

There was an Indian member who was saying Boss has done better business than Waar a few pages. Well here it is for you kid. :)

Pakistani film 'Waar' earns Rs 40mn in 3 days, beats 'Boss'

Islamabad: Pakistani bilingual film 'Waar' has created a record by earning Rs 40 million in three days during Eid festival. The Shaan starrer action-thriller is said to have the highest box office collection till date. Akshay Kumar-starrer Bollywood film 'Boss', according to the entertainment circles, played second fiddle to 'Waar', by earning Rs.10 million only, reported the Dawn newspaper. It was perhaps the first Eid after many years when a Pakistani movie was having packed three shows. In certain cinemas, even the fourth show - from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. - was dedicated to 'Waar'.

The movie has been released with 35 prints across the country. Written by Hasan Waqas Rana, it is the directorial debut of Bilal Lashari. The film also stars Shamoon Abbasi, Meesha Shafi and Ayesha Khan. The war on terror in Pakistan and its effects on the world have inspired the storyline, but one can however see a stylised interpretation of it. Some critics found the script not that strong, but the music, cinematography and overall treatment of the film made it a super hit.

Pakistani film 'Waar' earns Rs 40mn in 3 days, beats 'Boss'

Grrrr!!! Missed the chance, wanna go watch it again? Do tell me if you'll.. :D

Any suggestions on good cinema and how to book ticket?

Yar dobara ka filhal tou nahi hai mood, lakin Kaptaan inshallah sath dekhain gaye. its going to be a disappointment but still will plan it together.

I saw Waar in PAF cinema, its screen is big as compared to others, like super star cinema royal palm, bahria or cinestar etc. bahria has the best sitting and sound system..

Gulistan is also good, but long time, I havent seen there, last I saw was Sulakhain, it was also a good movie. :tup:

p.s.

PAF cinema is at back of Rahat Bakery Cantt.

@Jazzbot there is a problem, before they used to book tickets on phone too, but Waar is not being booked that way, you have to go in person to get it booked, usually the booking start with 10 am in the morning, last time we tried to get ticket at 6 pm for 11:30 pm show and he said its already booked, so either wait 2-3 weeks or try to book the tickets in the morning hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Waar movie, All Tickets were sold in cinepax Rawalpindi for 12.45 Pm. So i watched "Boss" movie, Rush was there too.. cinepax is multiplex 5 screen cinema.....
I'll watch "waar" tomorrow.:pop: :sniper:

Back
Top Bottom