What's new

Pakistani Identity's Claim On Indian Heritage

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didnt answer my question... as for aryan... how much aryans do the indians look? who has the highest concentration of R1A somethin genes ?india or Pakistan?

so you can now recognize an aryan by looks . Wait a second i have heard this argument before.. didn't nazis present the same argument???

you follow a different religion, do not have a single custom that might have been handed down by arya-culture, and consider yourself closer to arabs in any case.

Again, i am aware of your prior post hence won't waste my time on you.. so
step1... read about aryan culture
step2. make up your own mind about their belief system,

about concentration of aryan, It doesn't make any difference to me if pakistanis claim themselves as aryans and term all Indians as darkskin dravidians.... you race doesn't define you, your intellect does

I didnt run away did i? your the one shying away frm questions... as for bengalis,biharis and others they are free to claim anybody... but they make like 8% of the population..... now how can you claim indus civilisation when it didnt even spread to modern day india? just some parts of northern india like punjab etc... unless ur a punjabi or whatever i see no real evidence of you guys being able to claim anything!
simple it is. you didn't exist at that time so no claim from you.

The shift to pan-islamic ideology, in my opinion had a lot to do with Pakistan's inability to accept where it's heritage really did lay. We were a nation carved out of India, yet in our need to justify our very existence, Islam became the calling card. What was the point of Pakistan existing if it was a carbon copy of India?...there was a constant shift towards the Arab and Persian world, almost as a way to prove the difference between Pakistanis and Indians. In our haste to Islamisize and arabize our nation, we never realized the consequences, were the ideology to work.
We are now quite different from India and it's people, but that is not a good thing. We chose religion over our culture, we are muslims, but we were Indians first, and then Pakistanis first after partition. The advent of this religiosity turned us into a reflection of the middle east, where religion trumps all. There is a history in the land Pakistan occupies today, but only the portion that concerns Islamic rulers is given any value at all.
Had we ever chosen to be Pakistanis first, celebrating the unique differences of the various cultures within, we would have been a far greater nation...and with a very diverse population and viewpoint. Diversity and understanding provide openness and acceptance...Pakistan from the beginning tried to crush it. We lost Bangladesh, a huge loss from a cultural standpoint and have systematically crushed the Balochi movement from the 70s. I, being from Karachi, have seen similar scenes in the once great city, and will not comment on that further, since it seems to bring out the worst in my brethren.
What we have today is an islamic nation that is full of muslims, that also happens to be called Pakistan...but it could be swapped with any other nameless and faceless muslim nation on the planet with little change. That is all fine and good if that is the purpose people want to stick to. But a nation of "Pakistanis" is what we should have been aiming for, where Pakistanis of all colors and ethnicity and religions can celebrate their identity, finding similarity in concept of being Pakistani; a nation that connects them all. But, because the grounds for our existence was justified in our religion, where else will we go after, other than embrace the very foundation of Pakistan? There in lies the failing of our nation...a nation built for religious reasons is now completely overshadowed by that religion.

Iran also puts their country at first, but they are just pretending to be non-secular.

@sandy dude ur still stuck at the same thing... to you aryan = paganism? wierd logic! and you still didnt answer my questions...

Look For ur Self...
genetika_genetics_magyar_r1a1a.jpg

Nair saheb you are the very few on this forum who are truly brilliant(likes of banaglore & mastan khan) yet very precise & with a great sense of narration , sorry my grammer is not that good but dont you feel there is no use debating with owr esteemed Pakistany & Chainese freinds as they never want to aknowledge so bitter facts , kindly clear my doughts Thanks Again .

Extremism played a big role in pushing Pakistan back.. but moreover the support of extremism by the establishment has undone the social fabric of Pakistan.

It is this attitude from the "educated class" in Pakistan that is indicative of the problems Pakistan faces. The people in Pakistan for the most part reject extremism, which is evident in the fact that "religious" parties do not win more than 2-3% of the votes in Pakistan. The fault is in posts like these, indicative of people who would rather give up than fight for their rights, & not make themselves count that is the bigger problem in Pakistan. One thing I have noticed in many "liberal" posters here is that many have not had adequate "external exposures". It is very easy to crib & cry about your conditions in your home country, but when you get adequate "external exposures", you realize that everything has its pros & cons, & you appreciate what you don't have more. It is people that would rather give up on Pakistan than fight for their rights, & struggle to make a difference that are the biggest problems Pakistan faces, & this post is a good indication of that. I belong to a Bihari family that has sacrificed their everything for this country, that has struggled to get their rights, gone through many rough times. But we are as Pakistani as everyone else, we have our stakes in this country, we don't need anyone's reassurances to make us feel good about ourselves, we believe in taking responsibility for our actions & how this country is run, & if this country is having problems, we are just as responsible as everyone for it.

And on the extremism, Pakistan was pretty much free of extremism till the early-end 70s, & the Afghan Soviet war changed Pakistan a lot.

This is due to the identity crises faced by Pakistani's after Partition.
India remained India.. sure.. its boundaries changed a bit, but for the most part.. its still the same.

The identity problem in Pakistan is overrated. It was a much bigger problem pre-1971, & while the problem still exists, it is not as big as it used to be. India is about to face the same identity problems as Pakistan has right now, there is already a tussle going on between the Hindu right wing & the "secular forces" in India.

Pakistan however, was an entirely new entity which combined the areas of India which the Brit Raj had treated differently from the start.

Pakistan the land itself is just as old as any other part of India or anywhere else.

Instead of accepting the language differences and concentrating on secular lines as it should have been, Islam was used as the tool to unite.

The problem arose when the Deobandi influence from India started creeping into Pakistan, the same people that had opposed the creation of Pakistan. They were influential in Pakistani society, even though most of the Muslims in Pakistan were Sunni Barelvis, who had supported the Pakistan movement. They argued that if Pakistan was made along secular lines, then there was no need for partition in the first place.

This is not to be confused with the need for Muslim unity but rather the use of Islam to suppress any national earnings rather than accommodating them amicably. The result was the separation of Bangladesh.

This is not to be confused with the need for Muslim unity but rather the use of Islam to suppress any national earnings rather than accommodating them amicably. The result was the separation of Bangladesh...

You are completely wrong here, & you have taken the events out of sequence. Even though Pakistan was the Islamic Republic of Pakistan early, it was largely secular till the 70s, when Bangladesh split off from Pakistan. 1971 really changed Pakistan, & it was only after that that Islam was used as a 'tool to unite'. But the Afghan-Soviet war in 1979, & the events that transpired was what really changed Pakistan. 1971 was a clear case of ethnic identity taking precedence of the national one, & Pakistan wanted to make sure there was no repeat of that in the future. Hence, they wanted to create a national identity that would take precedence over the ethnic one, & this is where Islam started getting associated with the national identity.

And mind you, there were ethnic tensions between the "Mohajirs" & Sindhis as well during this period, along with Bengalis & other refugees flowing into Pakistan. Today, Pakistan is relatively free of serious ethnic tensions that it faced in the past, & that is because of people valuing their national identity over their ethnic one. Many Punjabis in Pakistan started adopting Urdu as their first language, & today, Urdu is spoken & understood by almost everyone in Pakistan. A recent Gallop poll showed that 90% of the Pakistani people value their national identity over their ethnic one.

and now the issues in Baluchistan and to an extent Sindh.

Sindhudesh is dead, & while Sindhi people still have some dislike for "Mohajirs" in interior Sindh, & would prefer to speak in Sindhi than Urdu, the situation is very stable: Sindhis are proud Pakistanis. Sindh is one of the most stable regions of Pakistan, contributing 27% of Pakistan's GDP.

Balochistan is a different matter, it has been ignored by the state, which has not paid any attention towards it. The result is that the people feel cheated & exploited. These people felt that Balochistan was where all of Pakistan's got its gas from (Sui), but they didn't think anything else of them. The sardars exploited the common grievances of the people for their own benefit, & kept them backward & uneducated.

Your post is indicative of the mindset of the liberals that talk the 'popular notions', but have many loopholes & inconsistencies in their arguments.

That was the Places where Mixing Happened :D

I got some impression that the Russian/European clade of R1a1a is more closely associated with PIE like Kurgan and Andronovo.

Whereas the Indian/Asian clade of R1a1a is more associated with the older pre-PIE, but later they got Indo-Europeanized by the younger European R1a1a.

Since the Indian R1a1a also belongs to the same clade with the Turkic R1a1a.

Nair saheb you are the very few on this forum who are truly brilliant(likes of banaglore & mastan khan) yet very precise & with a great sense of narration , sorry my grammer is not that good but dont you feel there is no use debating with owr esteemed Pakistany & Chainese freinds as they never want to aknowledge so bitter facts , kindly clear my doughts Thanks Again .
Whats the matter I need some Timepass:lol:... getting Bored this Days:pop:...& Dont Compare me with Banglore the Congressi :hitwall: ...even i dont buy all this Aryan Sh8t... I am a INDIAN & a Hindu & i am proud of it...

Extremism played a big role in pushing Pakistan back.. but moreover the support of extremism by the establishment has undone the social fabric of Pakistan.
India remained India.. sure.. its boundaries changed a bit, but for the most part.. its still the same.
Pakistan however, was an entirely new entity which combined the areas of India which the Brit Raj had treated differently from the start. Instead of accepting the language differences and concentrating on secular lines as it should have been, Islam was used as the tool to unite. This is not to be confused with the need for Muslim unity but rather the use of Islam to suppress any national earnings rather than accommodating them amicably. The result was the separation of Bangladesh... and now the issues in Baluchistan and to an extent Sindh where politicians are able to use the Sindhi card with ease.

The establishment in its effort to strengthen the state and not the peoples used pan-Islamic ideology.
It was not as successful as hoped. Also, the attempt to use this pan-Islamic ideology to combat India has also backfired and the result are the mindless hooligans that roam the streets of Pakistan in guise.

This also reflects on the identity claim..
As I stated earlier..India is STILL India. Not much changed.(although there are attempts to ignore the heritage of Muslim rule in India by vested interests).
Pakistan is the new entity and therefore requires an identity, it does find inherent ones in the long spanning Muslim rule. But that is not enough as more Muslim rulers of India were secular in their governance than not. This is where the "over arabization" comes in, in a search for identity it is assumed that more and more cultural adaptation of Arabic(not Muslim) trends must be undertaken to forge an identity that separates Pakistani Muslims from those in India.
Although the fact is that those Muslims that existed in Pakistan and those that migrated from India had a very distinct Culture and identity from the rest of the Muslim world, yet they were fairly good practicing Muslims that adhered to the core of Islam.

In a nutshell about the Topic's "question"

Does the State of Pakistan have claim over any identity of India it chooses? NO

Do the People of Pakistan have claim over any identity of India they choose? YES

But Santro the people of Pakistan are the state of Pakistan aren't they?? Also only liberals like you think on this lines and those searching for the Islamic identity detest any kind of link to India or its history or its heritage.

i dont want to be rude but this clip perfectly tells about the true feelings & charecter of the people who even after leaving the relegion , values & life style of aryans 100's of years ago still want to be called true aryans or whatever fancy name they have for it , no hard feelings towards any person or race or relegion just for fun enjoy(specially first 5 minutes) , Thanks .
Satyajit Ray film "Shatranj Ke Khilari" (The Chess Players) HD with SUBTITLES Part 03 - YouTube

Pakistan however, was an entirely new entity which combined the areas of India which the Brit Raj had treated differently from the start
S
(removed half of reply to save space on the page, apologies)
Thats one heck of an answer.. Thank you for explaining it in honest and easy words.

Members like U and others make us feel coming to back to forum again and again.
Thanks.

It is this attitude from the "educated class" in Pakistan that is indicative of the problems Pakistan faces. The people in Pakistan for the most part reject extremism, which is evident in the fact that "religious" parties do not win more than 2-3% of the votes in Pakistan. The fault is in posts like these, indicative of people who would rather give up than fight for their rights, & not make themselves count that is the bigger problem in Pakistan. One thing I have noticed in many "liberal" posters here is that many have not had adequate "external exposures". It is very easy to crib & cry about your conditions in your home country, but when you get adequate "external exposures", you realize that everything has its pros & cons, & you appreciate what you don't have more. It is people that would rather give up on Pakistan than fight for their rights, & struggle to make a difference that are the biggest problems Pakistan faces, & this post is a good indication of that. I belong to a Bihari family that has sacrificed their everything for this country, that has struggled to get their rights, gone through many rough times. But we are as Pakistani as everyone else, we have our stakes in this country, we don't need anyone's reassurances to make us feel good about ourselves, we believe in taking responsibility for our actions & how this country is run, & if this country is having problems, we are just as responsible as everyone for it.

And on the extremism, Pakistan was pretty much free of extremism till the early-end 70s, & the Afghan Soviet war changed Pakistan a lot.

The identity problem in Pakistan is overrated. It was a much bigger problem pre-1971, & while the problem still exists, it is not as big as it used to be. India is about to face the same identity problems as Pakistan has right now, there is already a tussle going on between the Hindu right wing & the "secular forces" in India.

Pakistan the land itself is just as old as any other part of India or anywhere else.

The problem arose when the Deobandi influence from India started creeping into Pakistan, the same people that had opposed the creation of Pakistan. They were influential in Pakistani society, even though most of the Muslims in Pakistan were Sunni Barelvis, who had supported the Pakistan movement. They argued that if Pakistan was made along secular lines, then there was no need for partition in the first place.

You are completely wrong here, & you have taken the events out of sequence. Even though Pakistan was the Islamic Republic of Pakistan early, it was largely secular till the 70s, when Bangladesh split off from Pakistan. 1971 really changed Pakistan, & it was only after that that Islam was used as a 'tool to unite'. But the Afghan-Soviet war in 1979, & the events that transpired was what really changed Pakistan. 1971 was a clear case of ethnic identity taking precedence of the national one, & Pakistan wanted to make sure there was no repeat of that in the future. Hence, they wanted to create a national identity that would take precedence over the ethnic one, & this is where Islam started getting associated with the national identity.

And mind you, there were ethnic tensions between the "Mohajirs" & Sindhis as well during this period, along with Bengalis & other refugees flowing into Pakistan. Today, Pakistan is relatively free of serious ethnic tensions that it faced in the past, & that is because of people valuing their national identity over their ethnic one. Many Punjabis in Pakistan started adopting Urdu as their first language, & today, Urdu is spoken & understood by almost everyone in Pakistan. A recent Gallop poll showed that 90% of the Pakistani people value their national identity over their ethnic one.

Sindhudesh is dead, & while Sindhi people still have some dislike for "Mohajirs" in interior Sindh, & would prefer to speak in Sindhi than Urdu, the situation is very stable: Sindhis are proud Pakistanis. Sindh is one of the most stable regions of Pakistan, contributing 27% of Pakistan's GDP.

Balochistan is a different matter, it has been ignored by the state, which has not paid any attention towards it. The result is that the people feel cheated & exploited. These people felt that Balochistan was where all of Pakistan's got its gas from (Sui), but they didn't think anything else of them. The sardars exploited the common grievances of the people for their own benefit, & kept them backward & uneducated.

Your post is indicative of the mindset of the liberals that talk the 'popular notions', but have many loopholes & inconsistencies in their arguments.

First things first , my dear Bilal the fight between secular and right wingers is not a new thing is it?? What identity crisis are you talking about here? I know that you are attacking the Secular nature of India for sure but i will not go into this bait of yours as it will lead to the favourite topics of many. The identity crisis we talk here is not of ideology but heritage and history.

To show you the difference, a Turkish or Saudi or Chinese or American liberal or right winger fight on to be or not to be hard on issues like minority rights or whatever. They don't fight on a issue like do we belong to a certain heritage or history or not!!! Now the heritage are really important or not is different topic. So no our right wingers and liberals will fight on various issues but not on history and heritage.

The land of Pakistan is old no doubt as is any other part of the world. Don't think the American continent sprang just 1000 years ago, you see the concept of Pakistan is new. If you know what i mean.

I am sorry if u think i am butting in but, the below lines of Santro brought a volley of some kind of speech, out of which i think you want to say that people of Pakistan don't support extremism and that one should fight for their rights. If you look below, he says that Establishment supported the extremism concept not the people did he???

Lastly your comments that the Deobandi influence from India laid the foundation for Islamic unity and Soviet war in Afghanistan started the Extremist wave in Pakistan, are in contrast to your volley to Santro. You say that people should fight for the country and their rights, if so didn't anybody try to counter these factors of destabilization?? The soviet war i can get but the deobandi influence from India!!! Bilal for a long time we were enemies how the hell did deobandi's from India talk Pakistanis into this. Is this blaming others??

Bilal.. one expects more than just the usual "liberal" stamp in a reply to a post..
But ill accommodate you even though I am far from the "liberal" branch and usually end up in arguments with them.
As for the rest of the personal rather than statement critique, Its not my style to get into this basement of argumentative style.

First.. I ask you a counter question to the claim of the land of Pakistan being as old as India..etc.
India/Hindustan has been in the history books since the time of Alexander.
Was there any mention of Pakistan till the Pamphlet of Ch rehmet Ali?
If there has been no mention of the world Pakistan before that, or even the people of the exact areas of Pakistan(no more, no less) uniting under a single banner. If yes.. I gladly accept correction with proof.
If not.. then the land that is Pakistan today is not a historical concept.. A wholly Muslims state, A Muslim identity is.. not Islami Jamhuriya e Pakistan.

Your first paragraph is still concentrating on your exp.
Extremism never needed votes in Pakistan, it needed a fan to the fire.
Its not "extremism" running riot throughout the population of Pakistan, its extremism being the most vocal and active.
Yes, Pakistan was "free" from extremism.. but not quite. I agree with you that the very people who cried "Paleedsitan" came and spread their "Paleed" idealism here. Back in the early 50's.. Shariah was being declared in parts of Lahore and riots broke out over anti-Qadiani movements. So the evil has been there from the start.

Its not my sequence that is off, you have missed entire events.
When the bengali's demanded their just rights they were dismissed as Hindu puppets..
Ayub Khan's bigotry is plain seen in his diaries, his delusions of Racial superiority and ownership of religion to his perception of Martial races. I intentionally ignored the "Mohajir" and Sindhi tensions.. not to mention the "Pathanization" attempt by Gohar Ayub of Karachi as they are a pandora's box for this topic.

71 was a case of the state suppressing ethnic identity and inherent rights for its own profit.
It was a case of usurping just demands for the profit of a select few.
Urdu was becoming common throughout the west before 71 as well, due to similar script and dialectical similarities.
If your point is valid then why isnt urdu all that common in the KP and Balochistan.. even in interior sindh.
Ive traveled 70% of this country from Quetta to Gilgit to Badin and still find people who would have had trouble understanding urdu if not for common terms. What external/internal exposure have I missed?
Sindhudesh or Sinhustra may be dead, but the Sindhi nationalism isnt, please look closely at the 2013 elections and how the current ruling party will play the "Sindh under siege" card successfully.

Karachi is one place where you see forging of both national and ethnic identities, Other Urban centers have followed suit but not with that success. The result of trying to forge a national identity with an Islamic one has alienated minorities and left sectarian divides as we are still to decide on a common Islamic identity. It starts out all fine till rifts erupt in the nitty gritty, what you are toeing is the establishment line. What applies to forging the character of a Pakistan Military officer or trooper does not apply to the nation.
79 only added fuel to the fire, if bought in militancy to the extremists. Previously where sections of Islamic party wings had metal knuckles and bamboo sticks they received AK-47's. The rest then just followed suit.

I could possible replicate your entire paragraph on Balochistan with Bangladesh and it would sound like history is being repeated.
The Sardar's may be exploitative, but the way they were tackled was not kosher either.
After all, people would not follow them unless there was something to build on, and its not just the Sardars..intellectuals, social activists..all joined in. Thankfully this is changing in the current approach where for the first time where Balochis are being involved more and more into the efforts by the PA to fix things. the fruits of which will be seen very soon and the insurgency will die out.

Again.. the last sentence is nothing more than a canard to "propagate" the argument which I find too pithy to entertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom