What's new

Pakistani Fashion

7874d7a8a28d4b644bd448250c3eb93a.jpg

The one in pink shalwar kameez is nadia hussain and the one in pink lehnga is aamna shifaat/sara chaudhray diff for me too

DUBAI: ‘Dubai is such a cosmopolitan city, it would be a shame not to take advantage of that,’ says Mariya Kassam, Pakistani owner of the Soiree boutique, a one-of-its-kind fashion outlet in the United Arab Emirates that is fast gaining popularity among all nationalities in the Emirates. Soiree was the first multi-brand Pakistani boutique to open its doors in Dubai and it now showcases the best of the local fashion industry.

Within two months of opening, Soiree was nominated in the best boutique category of the Masala Lifestyle Awards 2008. ‘I was really excited because we were nominated along with established names like Kimaya, Designer’s Lounge and [Indian designer] Manish Malhotra even though we were barely established,’ says Kassam.

Although Kassam stocks heavily embellished wedding wear by top-line designers such as Umar Sayeed, Rizwan Beyg, Sana Safinaz, HSY, Kamiar Rokhni and others, you wouldn’t guess it on first walking into the store. The ground level of Soiree offers casual and smart-casual clothing influenced by western designs. The upper level, however, brandishes Pakistani fashion in all its glory, as lehngas and sherwanis adorn the shelves.

Kassam explains the rationale behind this layout: ‘We have people from every nationality coming to us, which is why I have kept the downstairs western. I don’t want to restrict our clientele to people who just want desi clothes.’

And it is this very diversity of design at Soiree that attracts customers from the various nationalities that populate Dubai. ‘We have a lot of western dresses, tunics and kaftans because we have Emirati, Lebanese, American, Japanese and Chinese clients in addition to people from Pakistan and other South Asian countries.’

Given the boutique’s clientele, the idea behind Soiree is not just to sell Pakistani clothes but also to portray Pakistani culture to the Dubai audience as a whole. For example, paintings made by Pakistani artists are also part of the interior design. ‘Pakistani work has its own flair and it helps people get a taste of Pakistani culture,’ explains Kassam.

The 30-year-old entrepreneur believes that her real mission is to properly market Pakistani talent. ‘I am basically making people more aware of fashion in Pakistan,’ says Kassam. ‘We’ve got so much talent in the country, and I have so much fun marketing that talent.’ In fact, Kassam takes her work beyond the boutique and promotes the designs she stocks in magazines. ‘It’s all about making people aware of what Pakistani fashion has to offer.’

Pakistani designers might, however, face competition from their Emirati counterparts. Indeed, several Emiratis have approached Soiree – and the boutique is considering showcasing their designs -- but Kassam has yet to hear from an aspiring Pakistani designer based in the UAE.

It remains unclear whether Soiree’s success can be attributed to expatriate Pakistani or foreign clients. Although the ongoing financial crisis has forced many Pakistani immigrants out of their jobs, Kassam says she has yet to be hit by the recession. ‘People are always getting married and they always have occasions to wear our clothes. It helps that we have chosen better price points.’

That said, some Pakistani expatriates consider shopping at Soiree a waste given that Karachi and Lahore are a mere two-hour flight away from Dubai. ‘If I have to shop for formal dresses for a wedding, I would rather go to Pakistan for a short trip to order or buy outfits than look around in Dubai,’ says one Pakistani national settled in Dubai.

When asked about plans of expanding Soiree beyond Dubai and arranging fashion shows that bring all the designers together, Kassam seems excited. ‘We are planning on doing a show in the near future even though it will take some time because there will be a lot of coordination,’ she says. ‘As for expansion, we would like to start within the Gulf.’

I think Juggan Kazim aka Jay Kazim was in the Jal video "Sajani" .

she looks so serene
Thanks

Xenon

Back
Top Bottom