What's new

Pakistani Diaspora Among the World's Largest

To be quite honest, and being a resident of NYC: These days I run across more Bangladeshi Cab drivers than Pakistanis or Indians. Facts and data are facts and data, but this is my experience, and I'm not exaggerating when I say 4 out of 5 times, my cabby is from Bangladesh.

The articles and blogs are good for theatrics

I guess in the end what matters is the net migration rate

notice the positive spike in 1985 due to Afghan refugees

:lol: You beat me to it. That was going to be my next argument.

To be quite honest, and being a resident of NYC: These days I run across more Bangladeshi Cab drivers than Pakistanis or Indians. Facts and data are facts and data, but this is my experience, and I'm not exaggerating when I say 4 out of 5 times, my cabby is from Bangladesh.

It depends on migrant settlements too , for example you many run into many Indians in New Jersey.

No you said that this,

Once again thats because there are more Indians than Pakistanis in America.

The proportion of Pakistanis driving a cab or manning a 7/11 is more than the proportion of Indians. If you run into a Pakistani there is 1 in 5 chance that he works in a 7/11, runs a pizza joint or other sales related jobs, and every 1 in 10 chance that he is a taxi driver.
On the other hand, if you run into an Indian, there is 1 in 47 chance that he is a taxi driver and there is 1 in 10 chance that he in sales related job.

My bad, rounding off error, did the calculations in my head, its 1:6.8 based on the NYtimes figures. Still doesn't change things by much does it?

I have mentioned it to you earlier, that the data for India is wrong and outdated. Comparing the data for India from year 1990, to Pakistan's latest data from year 2010. So the comparison is not valid.

Here's the educational attainment data for India from the year 2004, from another source, mind you the 2010/11 figures have gone up since.

23r507t.jpg

Source: Riboud, Savchenko and Tan (2006), based on various rounds of the National Sample Survey for India and on Barrow and Lee (2004) international data on education, for China.

Published here, http://economics.ouls.ox.ac.uk/12991/1/gprg-wps-071.pdf, on page number 4.

You can continue comparing India's old data to the latest ones from Pakistan, but you are only going to mislead your own readers.

Great analysis...

I am here in bay area for last 6 yrs. I am yet to meet a Pakistani who is Software Engineer.

Great analysis...

I am here in bay area for last 6 yrs. I am yet to meet a Pakistani who is Software Engineer.

I have been in Silicon Valley for 30 years, and I personally know hundreds of Pakistani software engineers, including highly successful Pakistani entrepreneurs whose companies have either gone IPO or been acquired by larger companies.

Almost every major high-tech product in Silicon valley has had contribution by a Pakistani engineer, many of them alums from my alma mater NED University in Karachi.

Haq's Musings: Silicon Valley Summit of Pakistani Entrepreneurs

Haq's Musings: Pakistani-American Entrepreneurs Catch the Wave

I have been in Silicon Valley for 30 years, and I personally know hundreds of Pakistani software engineers, including highly successful Pakistani entrepreneurs whose companies have either gone IPO or been acquired by larger companies.

Almost every major high-tech product in Silicon valley has had contribution by a Pakistani engineer, many of them alums from my alma mater NED University in Karachi.

Haq's Musings: Silicon Valley Summit of Pakistani Entrepreneurs

Haq's Musings: Pakistani-American Entrepreneurs Catch the Wave

Still writing blogs??

I consider myself very lucky.

Few in Silicon Valley can afford the luxury of writing blogs for fun.

This is what highly successful pakistani do(writing blogs) in Silicon Valley. May be this is the reason I am not finding any pakistani Software Engineer in office building.

Why not start a company of your own , and perhaps later expand into your native nation.

He already has apparently. He is a famous guy on the internet and search engines.

riter Bio: Mr. Riaz Haq is a high-tech executive, investor, business consultant and entrepreneur in Silicon Valley, CA. His credits include Intel 80386 CPU design that earned him a Person of the Year Award and two Silicon Valley startups he founded. Mr. Haq is an NED Engineering University alumnus from EE class of 1974 and he earned an MSEE from New Jersey Institute of Technology in 1982. Mr.Haq is the founder and President of PakAlumni Worldwide. For over 20 years Mr Haq has been engaged in complex high-tech product marketing, online consumer marketing, Web 2.0 technologies, development and engineering/operations with strong knowledge in software, semiconductors,microprocessors, networking and personal computer technologies at large and small companies including startups. Mr. Haq is a charter member of TIE Silicon Valley and served as Chairman of NEDians Convention 2007 in Silicon Valley.

Where did you get this details?? From his own blog site?

Beware his site has malaware, I got warning with McAfee.

That's an absolute lie!

Shame on you!

All of websites, including my blog, are certified as clean by Norton.

Here's a Forbes excerpt on Pakistani-American Shahid Khan:

With flowing black hair and the thick handlebar mustache of a man used to leaving a lasting impression, the 62-year-old Khan, driving a shiny white Grand Cherokee, is a swashbuckling contrast to the desolation around him. While Danville and the rest of the Rust Belt were deteriorating over the last 40 years, Khan was moving in exactly the opposite direction. The sole owner and CEO of Flex-N-Gate, he built one of the biggest automotive parts suppliers in North America almost from scratch from his headquarters just 35 miles away and now employs more than 13,000 people at 52 factories around the globe. Sales reached $3.4 billion in 2011. FORBES estimates his net worth at $2.5 billion, placing him in the top half of the soon-to-be-released 2012 Forbes 400.

An enormous accomplishment for anyone, it’s more like a Mars landing for a middle-class kid from Pakistan who flew into Illinois for an engineering degree at 16 and never left. Khan’s is the kind of only-in-America success story that has filled boats and planes with dreamers for the past 150 years, one that gives a face to an ironclad fact: Skilled, motivated immigrants are proven job creators, not job takers.

Khan’s American Dream continued this January, when he purchased the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars for $770 million. In so doing, he became the first ethnic-minority owner in a league synonymous with cheerleaders and tailgate parties, Thanksgiving grudge matches and that most secular of U.S. holidays, Super Bowl Sunday. Buying into the NFL, he says, was a statement about the opportunity America offers.

Shahid Khan: The New Face Of The NFL And The American Dream - Forbes

Back
Top Bottom