What's new

Pakistani Diaspora Among the World's Largest

The stereotype being discussed is of Pakistani taxi driver, and this stereotype is clearly demolished by the fact that there are 60% more Indian taxi drivers than Pakistani tax drivers in America.

As to the overall workforce ratio, there are seven times as many Indians as Pakistanis in America....not 6 times.

The data also confirms the severity of brain drain from India to US...particularly given the fact that Indians have among the lowest graduation rates (3.1%)at tertiary level in India...even lower than Pakistan's (3.9%).

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Ahead of India in Graduation Rates at All Levels

You posted this article to boast how Pakistanis diaspora is successful abroad. Now you are talking about brain drain. If you are against brain drain, you should be ashamed of yourself for leaving your country. Make up your mind.

The stereotype being discussed is of Pakistani taxi driver, and this stereotype is clearly demolished by the fact that there are 60% more Indian taxi drivers than Pakistani tax drivers in America.

No you said that this,

My experience is different. I see that most taxi drivers, 711 workers, gas station attendants, liquor store clerks and newsstand sellers in the United States are Indian....

Once again thats because there are more Indians than Pakistanis in America.

The proportion of Pakistanis driving a cab or manning a 7/11 is more than the proportion of Indians. If you run into a Pakistani there is 1 in 5 chance that he works in a 7/11, runs a pizza joint or other sales related jobs, and every 1 in 10 chance that he is a taxi driver.
On the other hand, if you run into an Indian, there is 1 in 47 chance that he is a taxi driver and there is 1 in 10 chance that he in sales related job.

As to the overall workforce ratio, there are seven times as many Indians as Pakistanis in America....not 6 times.

My bad, rounding off error, did the calculations in my head, its 1:6.8 based on the NYtimes figures. Still doesn't change things by much does it?

The data also confirms the severity of brain drain from India to US...particularly given the fact that Indians have among the lowest graduation rates (3.1%)at tertiary level in India...even lower than Pakistan's (3.9%).

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Ahead of India in Graduation Rates at All Levels

I have mentioned it to you earlier, that the data for India is wrong and outdated. Comparing the data for India from year 1990, to Pakistan's latest data from year 2010. So the comparison is not valid.

Here's the educational attainment data for India from the year 2004, from another source, mind you the 2010/11 figures have gone up since.

23r507t.jpg

Source: Riboud, Savchenko and Tan (2006), based on various rounds of the National Sample Survey for India and on Barrow and Lee (2004) international data on education, for China.

Published here, http://economics.ouls.ox.ac.uk/12991/1/gprg-wps-071.pdf, on page number 4.

You can continue comparing India's old data to the latest ones from Pakistan, but you are only going to mislead your own readers.

So tell me.

If you are looking for a taxi in US, who are you more likely to find: An Indian taxi driver or a Pakistani taxi driver?

The NY Times data I share with you says that there is 60% higher chance of you getting an Indian driver over a Pakistani driver.

or u can say if u r looking fo a pakistani in USA it is more likely to find the pakistani as taxi driver
as per ur calculation there are 1000% more chance to find a pakistani as taxi driver compared to find an indian taxi driver if u r looking fo indian

This news does not relate to the title of this thread but since Indians are very active in this thread :

---------------
Suicide concern over Indian professionals

Sep 6, 2011

DUBAI // A growing number of Indian professionals with financial, legal and psychological problems are turning to a suicide helpline for support.

Days after a family of three were found dead in their home in Ras Al Khaimah, the Indian Workers Resources Centre, a service run by the Indian Embassy that provides free counselling to expatriates, said more people were seeking help.

"In the past four months we have seen a significant increase in the number of white-collar professionals with a range of worries, concerns and problems," said Hashim Muhammed, a supervisor at the centre in Dubai.

"It is mainly people worried about their financial situation, and we do our best to work with them and talk to them to see how we can help."

Mr Muhammed said he could not reveal the exact number of people who had contacted the centre, because of confidentiality issues.

However, he said the centre had not been contacted by Anil Kumar, 44, or his wife Sreeja, 31, whose bodies – along with that of their daughter, Anusree, 8 – were found by police on Friday.

The IWRC runs a variety of services to help those who are experiencing difficulties. “We go into labour camps to give talks about how people can resolve their problems,” said Mr Muhammed. “But we are open to any Indian from any background, and we would urge them to contact us if they have any concerns.

“We really want to avoid tragedies like the one in Ras Al Khaimah happening in the future, and the best way for that to happen is for people to talk to one of our counsellors.

“We have had awareness campaigns in Indian newspapers as well as radio stations, but the message still needs to get out.”

The financial burden on many expatriate Indians has been growing, said OY Ahamed Khan, president of the Indian Association of Ajman, another community welfare organisation linked to the Indian Embassy.

“I cannot comment individually on the sad case in Ras Al Khaimah, but in general there are some common threads that lead people to consider taking their own lives,” he said.

Mr Khan blamed a lack of awareness among some Indians on the true cost of living in the UAE, and that many Indians take out cheap bank loans that they cannot repay.

“Many people are not living within their means,” he said. “They get employment here, maybe for Dh3,000 to Dh4,000 a month if they are lucky.

“Then they bring over their wife and children from India, but don’t take into account the extra financial burden that will be placed on them through school fees, food and transport, and that’s not even factoring in rent.”

Suicide concern over Indian professionals - The National

I suggest that the readers of this thread also read an Indian blogger's post "Why one million Indians Escape from India every year" to get a full dose reality about "Shining India":

Here are a few excerpts:

Any crackdown on illegal immigrants abroad or restricting quotas to Indians are a major concern to India’s politicians. The latest statistics from US Department of Homeland Security shows that the numbers of Indian illegal migrants jumped 125% since 2000! Ever wondered why Indians migrate to another countries but no one comes to India for a living?
------
Quit India!

Sixty years ago Indians asked the British to quit India. Now they are doing it themselves. To live with dignity and enjoy relative freedom, one has to quit India! With this massive exodus, what will be left behind will be a violently charged and polarized society.
----------
15 per cent Hindu upper castes inherited majority of India’s civil service, economy and active politics from British colonial masters. And thus the caste system virtually leaves lower caste Hindus in to an oppressed majority in India’s power structure. Going by figures quoted by the Backward Classes Commission, Brahmins alone account for 37.17 per cent of the bureaucracy. [Who is Really Ruling India?]

The 2004 World Development Report mentions that more than 25% of India’s primary school teachers and 43% of primary health care workers are absent on any given day!
-----------
About 40 million primary school-age children in India are not in school. More than 92 % children cannot progress beyond secondary school. According to reports, 35 per cent schools don’t have infrastructure such as blackboards and furniture. And close to 90 per cent have no functional toilets. Half of India’s schools still have leaking roofs or no water supply.

Japan has 4,000 universities for its 127 million people and the US has 3,650 universities for its 301 million, India has only 348 universities for its 1.2 billion people. In the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities by Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong, only two Indian Universities are included. Even those two IITs in India found only a lower slot (203-304) in 2007 report. Although Indian universities churn out three million graduates a year, only 15% of them are suitable employees for blue-chip companies. Only 1 million among them are IT professionals.

A Zillion reasons to escape from India

I advice Indians to leave India because India has too many people, its hard to look after every single one and give them housing or shelter.

Also to spread the influence and power of India abroad, hence all western nation are now sucking up to India, because of Indians influence living in those nations.

I advice Indians to leave India because India has too many people, its hard to look after every single one and give them housing or shelter.

Also to spread the influence and power of India abroad, hence all western nation are now sucking up to India, because of Indians influence living in those nations.

Pretty immature comment.

I
Japan has 4,000 universities for its 127 million people and the US has 3,650 universities for its 301 million, India has only 348 universities for its 1.2 billion people. In the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities by Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong, only two Indian Universities are included. Even those two IITs in India found only a lower slot (203-304) in 2007 report. Although Indian universities churn out three million graduates a year, only 15% of them are suitable employees for blue-chip companies. Only 1 million among them are IT professionals.[/I]

My cousin in India told me IIT is recruited by employers all over the world, the reason why it ranks so low, because middle of lessons, they can be electricity cuts. (dont know if thats the case now)

Where does Pakistan stand in remittances from abroad ? Can Haq throw some light on this ?

I suggest that the readers of this thread also read an Indian blogger's post "Why one million Indians Escape from India every year" to get a full dose reality about "Shining India":

Here are a few excerpts:

Any crackdown on illegal immigrants abroad or restricting quotas to Indians are a major concern to India’s politicians. The latest statistics from US Department of Homeland Security shows that the numbers of Indian illegal migrants jumped 125% since 2000! Ever wondered why Indians migrate to another countries but no one comes to India for a living?
------

How many times are you going to post the same blog? Running out of credible arguments are we?:disagree:

Quit Pakistan syndrome growing | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Pakistan: A Mass Desire To Emigrate| ‘Quit Pakistan Syndrome’: A Country Loses Faith in Itself

On a recent episode of “Khari Baat” (“Straight Talk”), a popular Pakistani talk show, journalist Hassan Nisar bluntly captured the mood of his nation: “No normal Pakistani in his right mind would stay in this country for an extra 24 hours if given the option to emigrate.”

Nothing but the zionist propaganda.

On a serious note, I would really love it if these guys come back to India. They can really fuel the development, but then again money matters and most of it is still in the West.

Don't worry India still has quite a lot of highly intelligent & qualified people in various fields living there...& you also need people to live overseas & send home good amount of foreign currency to add to our country's wealth...don't worry wherever we are & wherever we live, we will contribute to India's progress...

Young graduates are increasingly preferring to stay in India due to equivalent or in some cases better prospects offered by Indian firms. In my case though, its more of a personal choice. The government invested money on students like me, it would be unfair and ungrateful if we ditch it for something else.

The funny thing about the quoted blog title is

Despite so called Zillion reasons to leave India , only a million of them(out of a billion) are leaving. and from 2005 the number has been reducing. :)

Back
Top Bottom