What's new

Pakistani Climber winter summit attempt status unknown - search operations underway

1612883156236.png

Muhammad Ali Sadpara is the only Pakistani to have climbed eight of the fourteen 8,000 metre peaks.

Gasherbrum II (Pakistan) in 2006,
Spantik Peak (Pakistan) in 2006,
Nanga Parbat (Pakistan) in 2008,
Muztagh Ata (China) in 2008,
Nanga Parbat (Pakistan) in 2009,
Gasherbrum I (Pakistan) in 2010,
Nanga Parbat First Winter Ascent (Pakistan) in 2016,
Broad Peak (Pakistan) in 2017,
Nanga Parbat First Autumn Ascent (Pakistan) in 2017,
Pumori Peak First Winter Ascent (Nepal) in 2017,
K2 (Pakistan) in 2018,
Lhotse (Nepal) in 2019,
Makalu (Nepal) in 2019,
Manaslu (Nepal) in 2019,
K2 (Pakistan) Winter Summit 2021.

Very true. When Muhammad Ali Sadpara faced all that he did, he didn't moan or whine. He made do with whatever he had and quietly achieved the impossible. Never asked for anything in return. Yet these halfwits have the audacity to ridicule him.

I am this vocal about these guys because I've personally seen everything they go through. And they do it singing, dancing, laughing, and dying. If you ever get to see how the "mighty" foreigner stands taught, thinking of himself a benevolent lord, handing out a few thousand rupees one by one to a que of dozens of bowing porters with both hands stretched out, it will break your heart in a million pieces. It is not the foreigner's fault, it is the Pakistani authorities' who literally auction off their lives for peanuts. It is shameful how the most vocal voices for their support are all foreign.

I haven't even begun describing the conditions they live their normal lives in because I want to keep this about our climbers and porters.
I entirely agree with you. I have not had the privilage of visiting the Hunza etc. But the point I was trying to make is this. The real poor of Pakistan don't have a voice. They don't even have access to internet leave alone time to sit behind monitors and complain. Being able to do that already tells you that your part of that 25% of Pakistan that is privilaged or even the top 40% who have something.

My heart goes to the voiceless who never get a chance to cry victim on PDF or other forums with hands stretched out to the government. Think of the millions of poor in Gilgit-Baltistan, erstwhile FATA, most of Balochistan, interior Sind particularly regions lke Thar Parker* or parts of rural Punjab. This makes probably 60% of Pakistan. These people are invisible. But they exist in abject poverty who can only dream of internet and monitors.

Last summer I was in Crete and Greece. You have no idea the pain and humiliation I felt when I saw young men in Athens who were illegal migrants. They worked for a few euros illegally in dangerous conditions while being abused by the locals. I saw a video of this and will post it here. Honestly some were younger than my son. The thought that their parents had mortaged their entire savings to send them half way across the world crossing oceans, seas, borders with racist Greek or Bulgarian police who shoot first and then think later. I mean who is going to hold them accountable for killing a poor boy from Attock or Jhelum? To die fa aay from his mum who will cry for rest of her life.

It is the risk, toil and sweat of these poor boys that keeps Pakistan rolling. Any doubt check the remittances and so called exports. This tells us the real truth of what are cities like karachi, Lahore do. They do fcuk all but leach off a remittance economy.

And then bitch, complain if their share in the cake reduces .....

*Thar Parker is only 100 odd miles from Karachi yet it could be in stone age. Poverty and lack of any public support is striking. These regions are the real orphans of Pakistan.

Very true. When Muhammad Ali Sadpara faced all that he did, he didn't moan or whine. He made do with whatever he had and quietly achieved the impossible. Never asked for anything in return. Yet these halfwits have the audacity to ridicule him.

I am this vocal about these guys because I've personally seen everything they go through. And they do it singing, dancing, laughing, and dying. If you ever get to see how the "mighty" foreigner stands taught, thinking of himself a benevolent lord, handing out a few hundred rupees one by one to a que of dozens of bowing porters with both hands stretched out, it will break your heart in a million pieces. It is not the foreigner's fault, it is the Pakistani authorities' who literally auction off their lives for peanuts. It is shameful how the most vocal voices for their support are all foreign.

I haven't even begun describing the conditions they live their normal lives in because I want to keep this about our climbers and porters.
YET MPA,S are selling for 4-10 crores!
and we r living in democrazy?

while people like Ali are lost in the oblivion. Even now it is his rescue media coverage that shed some light on him and now some keyboards warriors are jumping up and down in support until they find a new thing to toy with.

We have no idea what we've lost. He wasn't just a random good climber out there doing his thing. He was one of the very best in the world! When was the last time we witnessed a Pakistani testing and stretching the limits of human capacity? Operating at the apex of man's ability? He did it all by himself too.

If my memory serves well I saw an interview few years ago where he even showed that his first climbs were done in sandals (F**** Sandals) until some white climber came to his rescue and couldn't believe how he can summit with such poor equipment and gave his own boots to him.

Thank you for that, I had never heard about this. Not surprised though, I've personally seen and climbed with others who were wearing plastic loafers without socks.

The mitts, the gaiters, the hiking pole, and the shalwar kameez on the Baltoro at 4500 meters in Sept.

1612886271515.png

From Ali Sadpara, Hasan Sadpara, Samina Baig and all the way back Hunza Mehdi all had similar stories, all lived similar life - zero support from Governments, communities and general public while celebrated as Gods of mountaineering by the western world.

I remember when Nisar Hussain went missing in 2012. His was one of two teams attempting the first ever winter ascent on G I. According to Bielecki and Golab, who were part of the other team, they saw him and his team only a few meters below the summit on a parallel route, putting them both neck and neck for the summit. Bielecki and Golab summitted while Nisar and his team were never seen again. The Pakistani media and people were busy congratulating the Pols while no one talked about Nisar. At least not until there was a ticker announcing the halting of all search efforts.

Yet we have the audacity to go on public forums and question why they were at K2 in the first place. Some of them are cursing and calling it stupid while some are trying to cash on the opportunity by creating fake accounts. Intelligence has never been a forte of the Pakistani masses but this is a new low for them.

Lesser men have no other option but to ridicule the great. How else will they come to terms with the insignificance of their own existence?

I've kicked a couple of them out of this thread, one of them then went on to my profile.

Last edited:
Amir Mehdi: Left out to freeze on K2 and forgotten deja vu!

K2
IMAGE COPYRIGHTALAMY

Amir Mehdi wanted to be the first Pakistani to scale the country's highest peak, K2, and as one of the strongest climbers in the first team to conquer the summit, 60 years ago, he nearly did. Instead he was betrayed by his Italian companions, left to spend a night on the ice without shelter, and was lucky to survive.
In the picturesque Hunza Valley, off the Karakoram Highway that connects north Pakistan with the Chinese province of Xinjiang, lies the village of Hasanabad.
I travelled to this remote place after discovering it had been the home of one of Pakistan's pioneering high altitude porters, Amir Mehdi - also known as Hunza Mehdi.
The Hunza porters, equivalent of the Sherpas in Nepal, are still in great demand for expeditions to Pakistan's highest peaks, such as K2, Nanga Parbat, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum I and II - five of the world's 14 mountains more than 8,000m high.
But Amir Mehdi, a member of the Italian expedition that triumphed on K2 in 1954, is today a forgotten man.
"My father wanted to be the first Pakistani to put his country's flag on top of K2," says Amir Mehdi's son Sultan Ali, aged 62. "But in 1954 he was let down by the people he was trying to help."

Amir Mehdi (in 1994)
IMAGE COPYRIGHTOTHER
image captionAmir Mehdi in later years, wearing medals awarded by the Italian government
A year earlier, in 1953, Mehdi had proved his strength on Nanga Parbat (8,126m) assisting the Austrian mountaineer, Hermann Buhl. Buhl, the first person to reach the summit, had been forced to spend a night alone standing on a narrow ledge as he descended, and had later needed help to reach the base of the mountain. Mehdi and another local porter took turns carrying him on their backs.
So, when the Italians approached the Mir of Hunza, Jamal Khan, asking for men to help with the K2 ascent, Mehdi was among those picked from the hundreds of aspirants who packed the royal court.
He went on to make a huge contribution to the success of the expedition, which turned two climbers - Achille Compagnoni and Lino Lacedelli - into Italian national heroes.
A day before their summit bid, Mehdi had been persuaded to help an up-and-coming Italian climber, Walter Bonatti, to carry oxygen cylinders up to a height of about 8,000m, where they were to meet Compagnoni and Lacedelli.
Achille Compagnoni
IMAGE COPYRIGHTALAMY
image captionCompagnoni fell out with fellow climbers Lacedelli and Bonatti before his death in 2009
"Other high altitude porters refused. My father agreed to the mission because he was offered a chance to get to the top," says his son, Sultan Ali.
But when they got to the designated spot, late in the evening, the tent was nowhere to be seen.

Eventually, as they searched for their Compagnoni and Lacedelli, and continued to climb, one of Bonatti's shouts was answered. The camp had been moved to a point now beyond their reach. A voice shouted to them to leave the oxygen and go back down, but the darkness made this impossible.
Mehdi and Bonatti were forced to spend the night huddled together on an ice ledge enduring temperatures of -50C (-58F). Both were ready to die, but somehow they survived what was, at the time, the highest ever open bivouac, at an altitude of some 8,100m (26,570ft).
It would later be revealed that Compagnoni had deliberately moved the camp because he wanted to prevent Bonatti and Mehdi from joining the summit bid. Compagnoni apparently feared that Bonatti, who was younger and fitter, would steal the limelight.
The next morning, leaving the oxygen cylinders there, Mehdi and Bonatti descended. Compagnoni and Lacedelli then picked up the oxygen and went on to claim the summit.
Unlike his Italian colleagues, Mehdi hadn't been given proper high-altitude snow boots. He was wearing regular army boots - according to some reports, they were two sizes too small for him. Inevitably, he suffered severe frostbite, and by the time he reached base camp he was unable to walk. He had to be carried on a stretcher to a hospital in the town of Skardu, where he was given first aid, and transferred from there to a military hospital in Rawalpindi.
Doctors had no choice but to amputate all his toes to prevent gangrene from spreading. He was only released from hospital eight months later.

When he finally returned home to his village in Hunza, Mehdi put away his ice axe and told his family he never wanted to see it again.
"It reminded him of his suffering and how he was left out in the cold to die," recalls his son, Sultan Ali.
Sultan Ali, with Amir Mehdi's ice axe

While his Italian colleagues went on to build careers, write books and make money, Mehdi never climbed a mountain again.
Mehdi's frostbite was a diplomatic embarrassment - for Italy, as well as Pakistan, where the press responded with fury.
The Italians were accused of tricking Mehdi and leaving him mutilated. Officials from the two governments went into overdrive to put a lid on the controversy.
Italian officialdom at the time was keen to protect Campagnoni's legacy. And to do so, they needed someone else to take the heat for Mehdi's suffering. Bonatti was turned into the fall guy - in Italy and in Pakistan - accused of reckless risk-taking and scheming to claim the summit himself before the others.
Mehdi was asked to offer his official testimony. He obliged, travelled to the city of Gilgit and spent three days narrating his ordeal before a Pakistani official. Sultan Ali, maintains that his father broadly supported Bonatti's version of events of how the two of them were tricked at K2. But he says he can't be sure if Pakistani officials tampered with his father's evidence or made him sign false testimony, to wrongly blame Bonatti for his suffering - which is how most people interpreted his statement.
"My father was a simple man. He knew how to climb mountains, but he didn't know how to read or write. It's possible that his testimony was used to discredit Bonatti," says Sultan Ali.
Amir Mehdi would spend the next five decades of his life scarred by his ordeal.
For some years, he was unable to move or find work, and struggled to feed his wife and children. Gradually, he learned to walk on his stumps.
Amir Mehdi's mutilated feet
IMAGE COPYRIGHTOTHER
The Italian government sent him a certificate in the post, informing him that the president had awarded him the rank of cavaliere.
From time to time, he received letters and books from Italy. But Mehdi couldn't read them and they did nothing to address his financial difficulties.
Occasionally, foreign mountaineers who had heard about his open bivouac at 8,100m would come to meet him.
"Sometimes, his eyes welled up with tears," recalls his son who helped translate the conversations. "He would tell them he had risked his life for the honour of his country, but he was treated unjustly."
For the most part, though, Mehdi kept his pain to himself.
In 1994, he met up with Compagnoni and Lacedelli in Islamabad to mark the 40th celebrations of the first ascent.
Sultan, who accompanied his father to the event, recalls it as a highly emotional reunion.
"They didn't understand each other's language. But the three of them cried like babies when they hugged each other."
All along, Mehdi didn't ask for an apology. And none was offered.
Ascent of K2, Ardito Desio

The official Italian narrative, which effectively concealed the truth about the expedition, remained unchanged for decades - although Bonatti did his best to challenge it. Only the publication of reminiscences by Lacedelli in 2004 prompted an investigation, which led in 2007, to formal recognition by the Italian Alpine Club of the essential role Mehdi and Bonatti played in K2's conquest.
But that was too late for Mehdi. He died in December 1999 at the age of 86.
After the Italian expedition, 23 years were to pass before the next successful ascent of what mountaineers consider one of the most treacherous of the world's highest mountains. One member of that Japanese-led expedition was the Pakistani climber Ashraf Amman, also from Hunza, who claimed the title Mehdi had longed for - that of the first Pakistani to climb the world's second highest mountain.
But it took much longer for a fully homegrown Pakistani expedition to scale K2. That finally happened on 26 July this year, just a few days short of the 60th anniversary of Amir Mehdi's frozen night at 8,100m.
Amid all the celebrations, Amir Mehdi's name has rarely been heard, either in Pakistan or anywhere else.

Disgraceful comments on this thread

A hero died raising Pakistani flag. And here people are passing shitty comments sitting on their as$ in their comfortable homes

Isn't it the challenge he wanted? To battle nature? He chose to climb up a mountain and fight with old man winter or the blue man. Old man winter took him. People choose to fight nature. Nature and its minions fight back.

ISLAMABAD: An aerial search operation for three missing climbers — Pakistan's legendary Muhammad Ali Sadpara, Iceland's John Snorri and Chile's Juan Pablo Mohr — at K2 has been temporarily suspended on Tuesday due to strong winds and snowfall and will resume today (Wednesday) with army deploying C-130 for the mission.

World renowned Sadpara, 45, Snorri, 47, and Mohr, 33, were missing since February 5 while they were attempting to scale the ‘killer mountain' in winter.

They have been last seen on Friday around noon at what is considered the most difficult part of the climb: the Bottleneck, a steep and narrow gully just 300 metres of the 8,611 metre (28,251 ft) high K2.

As soon as the weather clears, the search team will continue the operation — entering the fifth day — using the C-130 to find the missing climbers at the highest levels of K2. The entire death zone will be photographed with the latest camera installed in the plane, while Sajid Sadpara, son of Ali Sadpara, is also taking part in the search operation.

Speaking on Express News programme Expresso, Sajid Sadpara said his father was a world class climber and good decision maker but the hope for his life was fading with the passage of time.

He further said the decision to return was his own. Sajid had decided to descend from bottleneck to camp 3 from an altitude of 8,200m after the oxygen regulator he was using leaked.

Talking to media in Skardu on Sunday, Sajid said, he spent that night waiting for the climbers at camp 3, and kept the camp light on so the missing mountaineers would notice it.

Sajid was sure that his father and the other two climbers went missing while descending from the summit.
Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that the Pakistan Army and the government were making all possible efforts to find the climbers. He said that he had talked to foreign minister of Iceland in this regard and he was also being kept updated of the situation.

Qureshi said the Pakistan Army and the government were making all possible efforts to find the climbers. "Unfortunately, as time goes on, we are heading for despair," he said

Meanwhile, Inter-Services Public Relations Director General Major General Babar Iftikhar said Sadpara was a national hero and the army was putting all efforts to search him.

The US Embassy in Pakistan also wished for the safe recovery of all three climbers. In a tweet, the embassy said, “Our thoughts are with the brave climbers, Muhammad Ali Sadpara of Pakistan, Juan Pablo Mohr of Chile, and John Snorri of Iceland, who are missing on K2. We all hope for their safe return.”

K2’s peak beckons the daring, but climbers rarely answer call in winter

AP
February 10, 2021

Skardu: Sajid Ali Sadpara, son of missing mountain climber Ali Sadpara, talks to local journalists at his house. Sajid had begun to climb K2, but was forced to abandon the summit attempt after his equipment failed.—AP

Skardu: Sajid Ali Sadpara, son of missing mountain climber Ali Sadpara, talks to local journalists at his house. Sajid had begun to climb K2, but was forced to abandon the summit attempt after his equipment failed.—AP

ISLAMABAD: K2’s “savage” peak beckons the daring, but rare is the climber who answers the call in winter.
Dwarfed only by Mount Everest, K2 is the world’s second highest peak at 8,611 metres (28,250 feet), and it is one of the deadliest, killing one climber for every four who succeed in reaching its summit through its steep rock faces, glacier climbs and devastatingly brutal weather.

In winter, the odds are even worse.

This week, hope is waning for some of the latest mountaineers to attempt it. Ali Sadpara of Pakistan, Jon Sorri of Iceland and Juan Pablo Mohr of Chile were last heard from on Friday and were reported missing on Saturday. Heavy clouds obscuring the mountain have repeatedly forced halts in the search for them.

American climber George Bell enshrined K2’s reputation and a nickname that stuck after a 1953 summer attempt during which he and his team members nearly plunged to their deaths. He told a reporter: It is a savage mountain that tries to kill you.

How deadly is K2?

K2, on the Chinese-Pakistani border in the Karakorum Range, has one of the deadliest records: 87 climbers have died trying to conquer its treacherous slopes since 1954, according to Pakistan Alpine Club secretary Karrar Haidri.

That is compared to 377 who have successfully reached the summit, Haidri said. In contrast, Everest has been summited more than 9,000 times, while around 300 have died on the mountain.

Winters on K2 are so much more dangerous that climbs are rarely even attempted. Winter winds can howl in at 200 kilometres an hour (124 mph), and temperatures can hit a bone-chilling minus 60 Celsius (minus 76 Fahrenheit).

Only eight expeditions have attempted a winter ascent, Haidri said.

Only one has succeeded, just last month, when 10 Nepalese climbers summited on Jan 16. That same day saw the confirmation of the death of Spanish climber Sergi Mingote, who fell hundreds of metres as he tried an ascent without supplemental oxygen. Two weeks later, a Bulgarian was killed.

As difficult as the ascent is, the descent is even deadlier, said Vanessa OBrien, the first American-British woman to summit K2.

On 8,000 metre-plus peaks, 85 per cent of deaths happen on descent ... because climbers use all their energy for the summit bid and leave no reserves.

Why is K2 so dangerous?

K2 is a collection of nightmarish natural challenges, one more daunting than the other. It is the coldest and windiest of climbs. At places along the route, climbers must navigate nearly sheer rock faces rising 80 degrees, while avoiding frequent and unpredictable avalanches. Glacier ridges can suddenly explode into cascades of giant chunks of ice.

K2’s most popular ascent route is known as the Abruzzi Spur, or southeast ridge, which extends an extraordinary 3,311 metres (about 10,860 feet) toward the summit.

The sheer length alone would seem indomitable, but there is more.

Along the route is a series of seemingly impossible natural hurdles with names like the House Chimney, the Black Pyramid and the Shoulder. Surmounting those only brings the climber to perhaps the deadliest part of the climb, the Bottleneck, a treacherous steep gully ridged with columns of glacial ice prone to collapsing.

It was here in 2008 that one of those ridges broke free sending an avalanche crashing into a team of mountaineers, causing most of the 11 deaths that day in K2’s deadliest disaster.

So what is the allure?

OBrien says the deadly mountain appeals to the unique spirit of a mountaineer, testing the strongest climber. She summited K2 in 2017 after two earlier attempts, described in her recent autobiography, To the Greatest Heights: Facing Danger, Finding Humility, and Climbing a Mountain of Truth.

The fascination of K2 for climbers is that while it seems so accessible, it is still really, really hard, she said. On K2, the only guarantee is that something will go wrong.

She said mountaineers are either risk-takers or reward-seekers by nature and believe they can beat the odds. But K2 flicks them down and makes them earn their stripes before they can ever see those glorious summit views.

Put simply, what appears a simple challenge turns into Dante’s inferno.

Published in Dawn, February 10th, 2021

Virtual Base Camp established by Ireland at K2, Pakistan:
Miracle Happened!! Ali Sadpara Is Alive? II Next 48 Hours Crucial as Virtual Base Camp Established

Virtual Base Camp established by Ireland at K2, Pakistan:
Miracle Happened!! Ali Sadpara Is Alive? II Next 48 Hours Crucial as Virtual Base Camp Established

Can someone please type a summary of what he's said?

Back
Top Bottom