What's new

Pakistani boxers going to America for sponsorships

In my younger days Pakistanis were the least atheletic of virtually any ethnic group.

Even today they avoid any physical work or sport. Some of the younger ones have fortunately got the western mindset and are involved in sports.
What is younger years? What do you mean by ethnic group? Most of the Pakistani boxers are Baloch, Hazaras and Mirpuris. I believe Arabs are the least athletic group. How can Gulf Arab countries have all the money in the world and government support and still no breakthrough athletes in any sports. They even hire "wait for it" Pakistanis and Bengalis to build their buildings all over the Gulf countries. They have the money to hire African players to play for their football teams but not play the game themselves nor even win a world cup?

As for boxing

We're talking about the Mirpuris in the UK who make up 5,000 of the domestic circuit.

We're talking about the Makrani African populations in Pakistan who are obsessed with boxing.

I don't know which Pakistani group are you talking about

In the UK, Jawaid Khaliq was the first British Asian to win the IBO world title but didn't get funding

This is the problem with the concept of "Pakistani" in America or Canada

It always means the Urdu/Punjabi Desi alliance who try to force cricket and Bollywood down people's heads

There is literally no such thing as a Pakistani ethnic group

The others play better sports, but the UK Pakistanis are mostly Mirpuris and Jhelum

You can find them from MMA gyms to even starting Birmingham Melas where they do traditional stonelifting compititions

This is a mela in Britain

Last edited:
In my younger days Pakistanis were the least atheletic of virtually any ethnic group.

Even today they avoid any physical work or sport. Some of the younger ones have fortunately got the western mindset and are involved in sports.

Pakistanis have always been more involved in sports in Britain in the past but were never given major fights. Even till this day, you don't find Indians, Arabs, Turks, Somalis, or Persians in any sports in Britain

Pakistani boxers from the past in Britain who didn't get major title fights despite having belts

Tanveer Ahmed – former lightweight boxer; WBO Inter-Continental champion

Ukashir Farooq – British bantamweight boxer, former British bantamweight title winner

Usman Ahmed – super flyweight boxer

Adnan Amar – British light-middleweight boxer, multiple title winner

Adil Anwar – British light-welterweight boxer and multiple title winner

Qais Ashfaq – British super-bantamweight boxer; Commonwealth silver medallist and WBA Continental title holder

Jawaid Khaliq, MBE – first British Asian to win a world title belt

Amer Khan – former undefeated light-heavyweight boxer, Central Area championship winner

Amir Khan – British light-welterweight boxer; 2004 Olympics silver medalist; former world champion

Haroon Khan – super-flyweight boxer and commonwealth bronze-medalist

Nadeem Siddique – former British welterweight boxer, multiple title winner

This is a solid impact MMA poster from Britain

Half of the guys on this poster are Pakistanis

Solid-Impact-Operation-Takeover-poster (1).jpg

From Birmingham stone lifting melas to even traditional wrestling matches

Pakistanis in Britain have always been an active bunch

They just have never been given the limelight to show it.

Except for Amir Khan who is a two time world champion but had to go to America to show his talent.

Last edited:

There is more Pakistani fighters on Frank Warren's label than black fighters at the moment.

@Shazzad123

Obviouly I've touched a sore spot!

In the 60's Virtually none of the Pakistani kids i was with had any sporting interest. Most of us were totally unatheletic compared to the other kids.

I do not follow every detail in the boxing or general sporting field, only what is currently on tv. Lately I have seen some Pakistanis in boxing, and also the odd one in mma, thought I generally I follow UFC, not what is here in Britain.

I did not make a statement of derision, only of fact based on my experience. As always, you're mileage may vary.

@Shazzad123

Obviouly I've touched a sore spot!

In the 60's Virtually none of the Pakistani kids i was with had any sporting interest. Most of us were totally unatheletic compared to the other kids.

I do not follow every detail in the boxing or general sporting field, only what is currently on tv. Lately I have seen some Pakistanis in boxing, and also the odd one in mma, thought I generally I follow UFC, not what is here in Britain.

I did not make a statement of derision, only of fact based on my experience. As always, you're mileage may vary.
The 1960s? Those were immigrant taxi drivers. There wasn't even colored tv. You must be 90 sitting in your house. How in the world could first generation immigrants with no money have time for sports? They were working in the mills.

British Pakistanis at least in the UK,Are one of the most athletic ethnic groups,At least from what I've seen.Take my example,I used to take part in at least 90 percent, if not all the PE tournaments,Along with my fellow British Pakistanis.Be it,Cross country,Cricket, Basketball,Football.And from what I've seen first hand was British Pakistanis always occupied,At least the top or qualifying positions in every sport.Listed above.However we did suck at Rugby,I'll admit that.

British Pakistanis at least in the UK,Are one of the most athletic ethnic groups,At least from what I've seen.Take my example,I used to take part in at least 90 percent, if not all the PE tournaments,Along with my fellow British Pakistanis.Be it,Cross country,Cricket, Basketball,Football.And from what I've seen first hand was British Pakistanis always occupied,At least the top or qualifying positions in every sport.Listed above.However we did suck at Rugby,I'll admit that.

It may be a time thing. I was school age in the 70's, as I said the newer generation have taken on the western mindset and become more partial to sports.

Back
Top Bottom