What's new

Pakistan vs West Indies - March 23rd, 2011 - Cricket World Cup 2011

Pakistan will win and India will lose. It will be Pakistan vs Australia in semis.

Anything can happen. We need to wait and see.

I will prefer Pakistan to win this one. Last time the same thing happened in 1987.

Pakistan lost the Semis and the next day India lost as well. I don't want the same thing to repeat in this world cup.

I will prefer India to lift it. The second choice will be one of the subcontinental teams.

This match will start at 2:30 pm(day) BD time, which mean 2:30 am(late, late night) us time. :angry: :hitwall::hitwall: :cry:

2011-03-22-19-03-29-February.......Twenty%20Two%2004.jpg

West Indies captain Darren Sammy speaks to the press at Sher-e-Bangla stadium on Tuesday, ahead of their first quarter-final match against Pakistan. Hope his laughing does not last long. :devil: :pakistan:

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011
'Focus only on quarter'
Bishwajit Roy

A lot may anticipate a possible mouthwatering clash between two traditional subcontinent rivals in the semifinals, but Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi definitely was not among them as he was very much focused on their task at hand -- today's quarterfinal challenge against West Indies.

Understandably there was no shortage of confidence when the Pakistan skipper was speaking at a packed pre-match press conference in Mirpur yesterday, ahead of the day-night last eight clash against the inconsistent Caribbean. But the all-rounder was still very cautious about his opponents though his team definitely go into the match with the tag of 'hot favourites' following five wins in six matches, including a morale-boosting victory over defending champions Australia. Pakistan team put all their off the field controversies aside by putting up impressive performances in the group stage and gave the impression that they were here to do something.

"First of all I want to focus on tomorrow's game. Our entire focus is on winning the quarterfinal. I don't know what will happen in the semis. But I am just focusing on the quarterfinal first and then I will talk about an India-Pakistan game if they qualify for the semifinals," said Afridi when asked about a possible Indo-Pak showdown in the last four in Mohali.

The Pakistan skipper however was confident enough about his team's, who last played in the semifinals in 1999, chances of playing in the next game.

"When I came here before the tournament, I said I want to see my team in the semifinals and my team is capable of reaching there," said Afridi, adding that expectation back home is high after their success in the group stage, especially their heroic effort to break Australia's unbeaten streak of 34 World Cup matches.

"Definitely expectation is more now, especially after the victory against Australia, I think we are feeling more confident now and it's a good sign before the quarterfinal, so we all are very confident," he said, adding that hard work was the key behind his team's success so far in the tournament and particularly the bowlers played a vital role.

West Indies finished the first phase on same six points as Bangladesh but qualified for the quarterfinals on superior run-rate and the way their batting collapsed from good positions against England and India, made many doubt their semifinal chances, especially when they were going to face an efficient Pakistan bowling attack.

"Every team is well prepared for this competition. Like I said before, if you look at any team like Netherlands and Ireland, they all are well prepared for this competition. We can't underestimate any team, and in a match like quarterfinal, I don't think like that. We will not take the West Indies lightly because any team is capable of winning on their day and there is no second chance in a knock-out match. I think they are a very good side," said Afridi, the leading wicket-taker of the tournament with 17.

Afridi however was hardly bothered about the fact that West Indies bowled Bangladesh out for 58 runs in their last match at Mirpur, saying: "That was Bangladesh and this is Pakistan, match is different, team is different, condition is different for us as well, we played two games, especially a warm-game against Bangladesh. So we know the condition, we know the pitch how it will play."

Speedster Shoaib Akthar's chances of playing the game appeared slim as the Pakistan skipper said that he was not willing to break the winning combination.

"I told you before we want to go with the winning combination. But we will see, but I think we are happy with this winning combination," he said.

The Pakistan captain was also looking forward to coming good with the bat in the semifinals.

"I am not really performing well with the bat, but I know all the important games are coming. So I will be more focused. I know how important my batting is for my team. So let's see," said a confident Afridi.

2011-03-22-19-04-37-February.......Twenty%20Two%2008.jpg

Pakistan skipper Shahid Afridi speaks to reporters at Sher-e-Bangla stadium on Tuesday, ahead of their first quarter-final match against West Indies.
Both Bangladesh and Pakistan is supporting and looking at this man now. This WC is important to PK cuz by winning this WC, he can bring back cricket in Pakistan.

I got this tweet today:

There are two WC games today. Pak batsmen vs Pak bowlers. And WI batsmen vs WI bowlers. At the same ground. At the same time.

I only want to see Pakistan team put in as much effort as it did against Australia. If they go in thinking its an easy game, they will end up playing a hard game.

Pakistan's age old problem has been over-confidence. They must put in an extraordinary effort each time, even against seemingly weaker side.

To all my fellow countrymen don't be so disappointed if Pakistan loses tomorrow it's a game and not the end if the world and frankly Pakistan needs progress in other areas but don't Lose hope but I personally feel it's going to be very difficult for Pakistan

I always find your posts disappointing- it doesn't hurt to be optimistic- :tup:

India vs England final please remember my post the date and time when you see it happening and India the winner !!! 7th time predicting about india winning the world cup please everyone who reads this post remember my user name

After that whats you gonna do?- Change your user name?- or add R in the end- :taz:

Back
Top Bottom