What's new

Pakistan Tourism: Information Desk

@krash could help.. i went there but i did the tour on my own. Deosai, waterfall, shigar, khaplu, buddha rockp0⁰py
We were planning the trip on our own as well but this COVID-19 may be a bit of a problem since everything is no operational fully. If i can get hold of a tour operator, it will be easier to get these details from him and see if he can arrange for clearance to visit.

Have dropped a message to @krash already but he seem to be out! Waiting for his response.

About your trip and the places you mentioned, how many days you visited for? How long was your trip i mean.

Anyone planning to visit Skardu, dont!!

Skardu.jpg

:(

View attachment 659338View attachment 659338
the trend of increase in number of cases is probably the reason. This is the only region of Pakistan where cases are increasing.
Yup!
People are visiting Swat, Kumrat side, there is checking there but still it is easier to go there. Skardu/Gilgit seem to be under strict lock down now and surly it is because of the increase in COVID cases.

Good news.
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

However Skardu still seem to be an exception and there is lock down planned there so better not to plan any trip to that part until it is all clear.

@krash need help planning an emergency tour to naran and nearby places.
Been there, but didnt visit any place except saiful muluk.
Its a 3-4 day tour and i have to leave tomorrow.

U can visit shogran saif ul mulook babusar top and if u have stamina u can visit ansu lake and satpara lake. These lake requires some tracking

Here, brother. So since I don't know the specifics, I'll be making some assumptions and decisions on your behalf. If you have any corrections or questions please let me know.

Firstly, I'm going to guess you're going with the family.

I will recommend making Naran as your base. My reasoning is that it will allow you better and quicker access to the rest of the valley.

Naran

Pros over other towns:
- Better/quicker access to the rest of the valley
- Better/More hotels
- Better/More restaurant options
- Better/More facilities
- More things to do within and around the town itself

Cons over other towns:
- Crowds from hell. I can't overstate this fact.
- The town is ugly and uninviting
- More inflated pricing

If you absolutely do not want to deal with the crowds, we can talk about Kaghan or Shogran.

PTDC

For your hotel my first choice would be PTDC, then DeManchi, and then Millennium. The latter two are 'flashier', newer, and, maybe, with better facilities. I picked PTDC because,

- Right at the edge of the town, which keeps it away from the worst crowds.
- Don't need to drive through the very crowded traffic through the town every day for locations further north.
- Located right at the banks of Kunhar.
- Big private lawns where the family can spend quality time; fishing, picnics, afternoon tea, late night BBQ, etc.
- Private huts make the stay a very different experience than generic hotel rooms.

Places to Visit (in no particular order)

You've already seen most of the regular touristy spots while on your way through the valley to Babusar last time. Some off the main raod suggestions below.

- Beyond Saif-ul-Malook:

If you haven't gone beyond Saif-ul-Malook then do so. It's a beautiful little trail up till Malika Parbat's Base Camp and then to Ansoo Lake. The lake itself has been disgraced by those crowds, however, most of them never go beyond its southern banks and so those areas remain relatively pristine. The number of people that go on this trail has increased since the last time I was there 10 years ago, so might not be exactly as I remember. You can hire Mules/'horses' till the base camp for the kids and those who get tired. Beyond it it gets a little steeper (Nothing serious at all though. Almost anyone can do it). This would be a complete day's activity. Just the trail till the base camp will be a very decent day spent. You don't need to go up till Ansoo Lake if you don't feel like making the effort with the family or are short on time.

- Shogran

Shogran itself has met the same fate as Saif-ul-Malook because of the crowds. It still gives you some beautiful panoramic views of the Kaghan and the AJK valleys below which are worth seeing at least once. You'll get off the main road (Mansehra-Naran highway) right at Kiwai and then drive up the Shogran road. The drive isn't bad either.

- Siri Paye

Siri Paye is a high altitude meadow, of sorts. Beautiful place. It's a short trail further from Shogran. Pretty sure you can hire a jeep from Shogran to take you there as well.

- Sharan Forest

It's a small forest on the opposite side of the Kunhar from the Shogran hill. There's a resort near it too. Pretty place. You'll get off the main road (Mansehra-Naran highway) at Paras and then take the Sharan road across the river. Might want to ask the road condition from a local at Paras. If bad, hire a jeep. You can also rent cabins there if you decide to spend the night.

- Dharamsar and Sambaksar Lakes

This is worth it. I'm sure when you were driving up the Babusar pass last time you saw gorgeous lush green plains with snaking streams below to your right. The lakes are located there. The way to them is a jeep track which leads off from the main highway just before you reach Babusar Pass. The jeep takes you most of the way and then you have a short trek to Dharamsar Lake. You can hire a jeep from the Babusar Pass to take you there. The lakes are ok but the jeep ride and the places surrounding the lakes are spectacular. So even if you don't want to trek, do take the jeep ride down there. There aren't really any tourists there either which is a major positive.

- Lalazar

You drive till Batakundi and then hire a jeep from there till Lalazar. This is another high altitude meadow. Ask a local or the jeep driver and he'll take you to a quiet spot. Gives you pretty views of the surrounding peaks and the valley below. I'd leave this one for last as a back up.

- Dudipatsar Lake

This one's a toughy to recommend for a family. I'll still give you the details shortly.

ps: You might want to call one of the hotels in Naran and confirm that there are no travel restrictions in place for there.

pps: Wanted to get this to you asap. Will be adding more to this soon. At work, so a little challenging.

Last edited:
Have a 3 year old with me.

Yeah Dudipat and Ansoo are both out of the question. Think the little one's not old enough for a horse ride to the Malika Parbat base camp either.

Btw, the places you've already seen but might want to visit again would be Lulusar Lake and Babusar.

Have a 3 year old with me.

Gaitidas (spend as much time at this place let the little one run around there). Piyala jheel (most ignored with very less crowd and very easy access 10 to 20 minutes for the whole enjoying its view), lulusar jheel (crowded with no decent place to sit, roadside say cherries lay laina bus). Don't go to Babusar you will waste your time it's always crowded with 60% lafantar awam, parking is an issue too.

Lalazar (crowded lafantar awam in abundance), get a local jeep wala from Naran pay him a little extra to stay there for little longer, when you reach there straight away go to the highest possible spot to avoid the crowd.

Alright guys, so we did managed our trip after all. Had to change destination though! Originally we planned to visit Deosai and Sakardu but then due to lockdown issues we decided to skip that. Eventually, deciding upon a visit to Kumrat. Will share detailed account latter, till then, enjoy this:
DSC_3860.jpg
Kumrat Valley

DSC_3643.jpg

Jahaz Banda

0010.jpeg

Katura Lake

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom