What's new

Pakistan To Receive American Drones

The Army News Service reports that the tiny Raven drone’s aerial reconnaissance value has quickly earned the respect of battalion commanders in Iraq, filling a niche at the battalion level when larger UAVs are unavailable. Weighing in at 4.5 pounds, with a 3-foot body and a 5-foot wingspan, the Raven UAV is so small that it’s launched by hand.

Field Success

RQ-11 Raven
The RQ-11 Raven is a lighter, smaller successor to AeroVironment’s FQM-151 Pointer UAV, which was used in Desert Storm (1991) and is still in use with some Special Forces units.

Maj. Chris Brown told the Army News Service that “We had one commander’s team find an IED [DID: a do-it-yourself land mine] on its first mission, and the commander has been sold ever since.”

As a subsequent StrategyPage article has noted:

“What makes this little (4.2 pounds) bird so popular is its low cost ($25,000 each) and performance (can stay in the air for 80 minutes at a time). The Raven is battery powered, and carries a color day vidcam, or a two color infrared night camera. Both cameras broadcast real time video back to the operator, who controls the Raven via a laptop computer. The Raven can go as fast as 90 kilometers an hour, but usually cruises between 40 and 50. It can go as far as 15 kilometers from its controller on the ground, and usually flies a preprogrammed route, using GPS for navigation. Each Raven unit consists of three UAVs and one ground control station. Ravens are launched by turning on the motor, and throwing it into the air. It lands by coming back to ground at a designated GPS location (and bouncing around a bit.) The Raven is made of Kevlar, the same material used in helmets and protective vests. On average, Raven can survive about 200 landings before it breaks something.”

The Raven was supposed to be a company-level UAV, but a shortage of UAVs in-theater means that battalions frequently have custody of them. These mini-uavs typically fly missions to search for IEDs, provide reconnaissance for patrols, and watch the perimeters of military camps camps.

Maj. Brown also told the Army News Service that today’s youth are well-suited to such tools:

“One of the best pilots in the 1st Cav. is a cook, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have … scouts operating the Raven,” he said. “Some of these kids have been raised with Playstation in their hands and are better able to handle watching a screen and controlling the aircraft.”

When one of the best pilots is a cook, the designers have done something very right.

Procurement Success

Raven launching
Army Magazine reports that the Army’s recent fielding of Raven is the result of an advanced concept technology demonstration (ACTD) that was conducted by the U.S. Army, U.S. Special Operations Command and the Natick Lab during 2002. “We accelerated this ACTD by two to three years. We simply accelerated a technology demonstration that was already in the works for about two full years, and then we immediately trained a small cadre of folks in the 10th Mountain Division and put it into Afghanistan. One of the things I point out with great pride as an acquisition officer is that when Gen. Keane said, ‘I don’t want it to take 20 years,’ we delivered the first Raven in-theater 20 weeks after contract award.”

Each of the Raven systems includes three airplanes, a ground control station and a remote video terminal. Delivery of the first five systems was followed by sequential approval for 10 additional systems, followed by 170 more, bringing total Raven procurement to date to 185 systems.

According to sources at Military.com and StrategyPage, a single Raven costs about $25-35,000, and the total system costs about $250,000. The prime contractor is AeroVironment Inc.

UPDATE: (Feb 9/06) – DefenseTech’s “The Amazing, All-Purpose, Styrofoam Drone” describes some of the Raven’s uses around Balad, Iraq. One downside: Raven drones do not like IED jammers. No doubt their upgrades will be more reistant.

They can keep these remote control toys in their a$$ ...

it look like dronie not drone lolx these r only for childern i had a more advance toy helicopter than this dronie in my childhood

U.S. to supply Pakistan with 85 mini-drones

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) – The United States will provide Pakistan with 85 small "Raven" drone aircraft, a U.S. military official told Reuters, a key step to addressing Islamabad's calls for access to U.S. drone technology.
The official, speaking on Thursday on condition of anonymity, declined to disclose the cost of the non-lethal, short-range surveillance aircraft, which are manufactured by the U.S.-based AeroVironment Inc.
A company spokesman said the Raven is used by U.S. allies including Italy, Spain and Norway and is one of the most widely utilized unmanned aircraft in the world.
The disclosure is another sign of growing U.S. military assistance to Pakistan, a crucial if often tense ally in the U.S. fight against al Qaeda and insurgents attacking U.S. forces in neighboring Afghanistan.
Pakistan is expected to receive roughly $3 billion in U.S. military aid in the upcoming fiscal year.
[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

On Wednesday, Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, accused the country's intelligence agency of a having a longstanding relationship with Haqqani militants targeting U.S. forces in Afghanistan.
The White House said in a report to Congress released this month Pakistan lacked a robust plan to defeat Taliban militants, and noted its security forces are struggling to hold areas cleared of the al Qaeda-linked fighters at great cost.
Still, U.S. military officials also praise increased efforts by Pakistan's military over the past several years in tackling some insurgents and say cooperation at a tactical level on both sides of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border is greatly improved.
"It represents a level of coordination that is better than it's ever been," Mullen told reporters.
SHADOW DRONES?
The Raven, according to the company website, has a wingspan of just 1.4 meters (4.5 feet) and a weight of 1.9 kilos (4.2 pounds). It can deliver real-time color or infrared imagery, giving troops on the ground an edge on the battlefield.
A senior U.S. defense official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Raven drone order is separate from U.S. plans to offer Pakistan much larger, longer-range surveillance drones, a proposition put forward by U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates during a visit to Pakistan in January 2010.
That offer delighted Islamabad at the time but Pakistani officials say those talks have been held up over complaints about the cost proposed by Washington and a slow timeline for delivery.
The defense official suggested those talks were nearing conclusion.
"We're in final discussions about which one they really want. They think they want the Shadow," the senior defense official said.
Gates had originally offered Pakistan 12 Shadow drones, manufactured by AAI Corporation, a unit of Textron Systems.

They are not the weaponized versions being used by the CIA to track and kill al Qaeda and Taliban insurgents in Pakistan but are used strictly for surveillance and intelligence gathering.
(Editing by Sophie Hares)

U.S. to supply Pakistan with 85 mini-drones - Yahoo! News

Even these small drones can be useful in certain circumstances.

Imran bhai they are being used as well but I think Pak Army is getting them as "an extra assets".

Most of indigenous drones are still in advance testing phase that too in Operational Areas my guts tells me.

The 85 drones with color imaging will help PA , a great deal in the war against the terrorists.. A good move from US.

Imran bhai they are being used as well but I think Pak Army is getting them as "an extra assets".

Most of indigenous drones are still in advance testing phase that too in Operational Areas my guts tells me.

so we have to pay a huge price for these toys?.sir jee from which angle this toy is fitted and pakistani UAVs cant? i am really out of mind?

BTW this drone is crash proof if it fall down you can take and fly it again as its 1kg weight ahahahhahahahaha

Well imran bhai I don't know what else to say our drones perfectly fits many missions...

Well imran bhai I don't know what else to say our drones perfectly fits many missions...

well dear i cant sleep now .we dont wanna these toys free and our army is going to pay for them very very strange for me .hope news will come tomorrow pakistan refuse it.

All those will be given to us after two years, we need it now.
Go hell with them..

wo to ehsan chardha rahy hai bhi hehehehehe.look what they say after demand of drone tech USA agree on these tiny rat killers drones hahahahaha

4-21-2011_68785_1.gif

Back
Top Bottom