What's new

Pakistan to Deploy Armed Drones for CPEC Protection

I was wondering one thing for a long time...and i know here are many experts...so just wanted the opinion about this thought that
we have seen all the armed drones carry missile....why don't they carry machine guns too..i mean drone is an aircraft after all...and particularly when we are talking about border security....i think machine gun must be an essential part of the drones too
the reason is....imagine if some 100 terrorists(TTP has tried in such numbers to cross the border in past) are crossing the border..and drone with only 2-4 missiles is patrolling there..it can never be able to neutralise all of them...especially in a area full of mountains...in this case..yes missiles can do the initial damage but machine gun will be handy to pick the targets hiding or trying to flee ....
and also its not always they will be crossing in huge numbers...the second case is .it may be one vehicle crossing over...n i assume that machine gun is powerful enough to stop a vehicle like car or jeep..and machine gun will also be quite cheaper than a missile
Many reasons:
  • Weight: A cannon alone weighs around 50 kg and then you have to have the bullets too. If you're carrying 200 rounds that's over 70 kgs just for the bullets. Around 120 kgs for this solution. For comparison two hellfires=100 kg.
  • Size: A cannon that will be effective in A2G role has to be rather large and will cause significant recoil. A 20,000 kg jet may able to handle this recoil but a 1,000 kg uav will rip itself apart.
  • Aim: A missile is guided and doesn't need to be precisely aimed at the target on launch. A gun will have to be precisely aimed by either, aiming the aircraft, or a helicopter gunship like solution which will add even more weight.
  • Altitude: A missile can be launched from high altitudes but a for a gun to be effectively aimed the aircraft will have to come down to a low altitude and strafe the target.
  • Accuracy: A missile will guide itself to a target for an assured killed even for moving targets. With a gun you are going to be targeting the general area with "supressive fire" at best.
  • Maneuverability of Platform: Strafing passes require the platform do quick turns to realign itself. Most UAVs can't do this. A missile can be launched without the need for any aggressive maneuvers.
That being said a machine gun MAY make for a good weapon for a decent sized rotary wing UAV for targeted operations.

Seems very costly, CPEC is very long and big. Will China part fund these or will the drones be used on particular part of cpec only?

I was wondering one thing for a long time...and i know here are many experts...so just wanted the opinion about this thought that
we have seen all the armed drones carry missile....why don't they carry machine guns too..i mean drone is an aircraft after all...and particularly when we are talking about border security....i think machine gun must be an essential part of the drones too
the reason is....imagine if some 100 terrorists(TTP has tried in such numbers to cross the border in past) are crossing the border..and drone with only 2-4 missiles is patrolling there..it can never be able to neutralise all of them...especially in a area full of mountains...in this case..yes missiles can do the initial damage but machine gun will be handy to pick the targets hiding or trying to flee ....
and also its not always they will be crossing in huge numbers...the second case is .it may be one vehicle crossing over...n i assume that machine gun is powerful enough to stop a vehicle like car or jeep..and machine gun will also be quite cheaper than a missile
that why we have mach 2 capable f 16 armed with sniper pod and jdams with HE rounds

CPEC is a prime investment by China, as such, a prime target as well. Any security Pakistan can offer, be it costly, is welcome. This project needs to see successful, timely completion by all means.

that why we have mach 2 capable f 16 armed with sniper pod and jdams with HE rounds
for border security..we need to keep an eye 24/7....the drones have advantage that they can stay airborne for longer time...that's what f 16 lacks and also the operational cost of f16 is much higher than any drone

Many reasons:
  • Weight: A cannon alone weighs around 50 kg and then you have to have the bullets too. If you're carrying 200 rounds that's over 70 kgs just for the bullets. Around 120 kgs for this solution. For comparison two hellfires=100 kg.
  • Size: A cannon that will be effective in A2G role has to be rather large and will cause significant recoil. A 20,000 kg jet may able to handle this recoil but a 1,000 kg uav will rip itself apart.
  • Aim: A missile is guided and doesn't need to be precisely aimed at the target on launch. A gun will have to be precisely aimed by either, aiming the aircraft, or a helicopter gunship like solution which will add even more weight.
  • Altitude: A missile can be launched from high altitudes but a for a gun to be effectively aimed the aircraft will have to come down to a low altitude and strafe the target.
  • Accuracy: A missile will guide itself to a target for an assured killed even for moving targets. With a gun you are going to be targeting the general area with "supressive fire" at best.
  • Maneuverability of Platform: Strafing passes require the platform do quick turns to realign itself. Most UAVs can't do this. A missile can be launched without the need for any aggressive maneuvers.
That being said a machine gun MAY make for a good weapon for a decent sized rotary wing UAV for targeted operations.
Thanks your reasons are really logical...particularly the first 2 points..n rest of points are obvious for engaging any ground target with machine gun in air.....i couldn't factor in the weight ,in the first place
But for drones like CH-5 or predator....they look quite heavy..can't even they carry the gun???

for border security..we need to keep an eye 24/7....the drones have advantage that they can stay airborne for longer time...that's what f 16 lacks and also the operational cost of f16 is much higher than any drone
we can keep eye on the border with drone but to thwart an attack of 100 taliban we need 1000 pound jdams and some cobras.if those 100 talis are under influence then we might need add mi 171 with ssgs to the list too.drone can't do this job it's too much for it.

Back
Top Bottom