What's new

Pakistan talks of boycotting IPL 2011, Champions League

Ha Ha :lol:

Is this the same Tanvir who was talking about "Hindu Zaneeyat" a few days ago. Modi showed them the $ and now it is ok to take money from the hindus. Where is your "Zameer" Mr. Tanvir.

Ba@p bada na bhaiyaa, Sabse bada rupaiyaaa. :lol:

Maybe IPL should make an offer to Kayani as well. That would solve most of our problems.

This only goes to show that all players wanted was money, they care the least about insult part.

Pakistanis maybe obsessed with India, after all we do loom large over your country, but by and large most Indians wouldn't want to 'bracket' themselves with Pakistan if you know what I mean.

Pakistan only comes into mind when India is hit by a terrorist attack, on the other hand your entire nation moans and groans all day long about Kashmir mostly because it can't do anything about it, your country is dominated by one issue and one issue only.

Your military is involved in everything from trade to politics, your generals have proliferated and nurtured extremist ideology for decades, Pakistan is overly dependent on its allies (first the US, now China, Arab states), numerous coups etc. etc. Think about it for a second. Why is this the case?

You're the one with a larger enemy to fight, not us, your country has had to go to great lengths to counter a foe that's seven times its size, which is why Pakistan is in the situation that its in today. Pakistan essentially faces an existential threat from India, which is why your country and all its policies are geared towards countering us.

Forget youtube, you guys really like youtube (but hate America), you should examine your history first. That'll teach you a thing or two about obsession. India can fend Pakistan off and still engage the world and develop, Pakistan on the other hand is afraid to purge its society of extremist ideology for fear of being torn apart. I bet you have no idea why. (HINT: its a direct result of your confrontational policies with India)

We don't really bother about your society or ethnic tension, poverty, lollywood, people or any of that. In fact your post proves how deeply you guys think about my country. We equate Pakistan with one thing and one thing only, terrorism. That's about the only time we think about your country and since terrorism is a pretty hot topic right now, you might see some increased attention from our side. Mission accomplished huh? ;)

You really went off-topic here. I realize that it is indian nature to bring in totally off-topic stuff to defend themselves. It is about obsession, not all the other stuff. Sure we can discuss it in another topic. Less than a decade of growth (which only benefited the rich btw) and indians are considering themselves so superior, LOL. The point is obsession, and no matter how you may try to twist it and spin it, it will not change the facts. Your nation is obsessed with a country much smaller than itself. You can bring in China or whatever, it does not change the story. Just look at the number of indians here. Look at indian obsession with Pakistan on other forums - and it doesn't have to be terrorism for them to come and start their boner. Youtube is a good example. It is no different in my real life.

You really went off-topic here. I realize that it is indian nature to bring in totally off-topic stuff to defend themselves. It is about obsession, not all the other stuff. Sure we can discuss it in another topic. Less than a decade of growth (which only benefited the rich btw) and indians are considering themselves so superior, LOL. The point is obsession, and no matter how you may try to twist it and spin it, it will not change the facts. Your nation is obsessed with a country much smaller than itself. You can bring in China or whatever, it does not change the story. Just look at the number of indians here. Look at indian obsession with Pakistan on other forums - and it doesn't have to be terrorism for them to come and start their boner. Youtube is a good example. It is no different in my real life.

I was afraid you'd make me spell it out for you. What I'm trying to imply is that Pakistan has gone from crisis to crisis in trying to counter India, your country went from being secular to Islamic, from democracy to dictorship and then back again several times all because of your confrontational policies.

You chose instability over reforms and development. That's what I call obsession.

Just look at the number of indians here.

India has the 3rd or 4th highest number of people on the internet. Probability thus states that there will more desis than Pakistanis on any given website.

Youtube is a good example

No it isn't. Your history is a good example. Think about why your military can't keep it's hands out of politics before you reply to my post.

Sorry if its off topic, just trying to prove a point here and move on.

Ahsan this is for you.

Ayesha Akram-Nasir Special to the Star

LAHORE, Pakistan–Sana Khan is engrossed in preparing for her wedding, planned for mid-December.

She's made the rounds of most designer shops in Lahore, checked out the city's jewellers and has begun a regimen of soothing facials and body massages, guaranteed to make her glow on the big day.

But Khan, 26, who works as an advertising executive and earns about $650 per month, still has to do the most important part of her bridal shopping – a trip to India.

"I am planning to buy at least 50 per cent of my dowry from Delhi and Jaipur," she said, giggling with joy at the prospect of a shopping spree in India. "I may even order my bridal there."

Humaira Khawaja, 27, whose brother recently got married in Lahore, has a word of advice for Khan: one trip may not be enough, since she made three trips to India before her brother's wedding.

"All our clothes came from India," said Khawaja, who works with her father at his carpet factory. "All the clothes we gave the bride were Indian, her jewellery came from India and all of our clothes – meaning my sister, nieces, mother – also came from India."

Her reason for preferring merchandise from across the border is simple: "Their workmanship and design elements are so much better than ours. We are nowhere close to them," she said.

At a time when relations between India and Pakistan have once again soured – with both sides blaming each other for recent terrorist attacks – the Bollywood-ization of Pakistan is continuing at full throttle.

"The effect of Indian society on our culture is undeniable and it's constantly increasing," said Amjad Islam Amjad, a cultural commentator based in Lahore.

"We're so much in awe of them that in every aspect of our culture we bow down to them, whether it's imitating their clothes or dances."

While Indian traditions are peacefully taking over Pakistani culture, the two countries have shared a hostile past. Since the split of 1947, when the British raj dismantled its empire, the neighbours have shared a troubled history. For many years they've remained archrivals and have fought two wars – in 1961 and 1975.

This was followed by the bitter Kargil offensive in 1999 in the ongoing dispute over Kashmir.

"The Kargil offensive completely ruptured relationships between Pakistan and India," said Rasool Baksh Raees, a political analyst and professor at the Lahore University of Management Sciences.

"It has taken us years to mend the situation and the wounds are still fresh."

Since 1999, numerous joint initiatives have taken place including bus travel, cricket matches, joint productions in movies and fashion shows of designers from both countries. All these moves led to an acceleration of the Bollywood-ization of Pakistan.

"Their culture is more developed, stronger and more powerful than ours," said Amjad. "Also, they've marketed themselves so well that it's easy for us to believe they are better."

In Pakistani cinemas, Indian films draw huge audiences while the majority of local productions play to empty or half-filled houses. Bollywood celebrities are so popular in Pakistan, event managers prefer booking Indian actors and models to Pakistani celebrities – even if it means paying them 10 times the price of a local entertainer.

At street stalls, vendors market glass bangles by naming them after popular Indian television shows.

Hajra Hayat, a fashion designer, recently became convinced of the Bollywood-ization of Pakistan when she attended a Holi function during a friend's wedding. Holi is an Indian festival where attendees throw coloured powder.

Recently, the Pakistani elite have begun celebrating Holis as part of their wedding extravaganzas.

"We're definitely awestruck by the Indians, more so now than before, which is a testament to the great job their media is doing in marketing their culture," said Hayat.

"I sometimes get brides asking for an outfit to be made in the same colours as the ones that Ashwariya Rai or Kareena Kapoor wore in a certain Indian film. I never get requests from a bride inspired by a Pakistani actress."

Cultural expert and short-story writer Afra Bukhari says Pakistanis are eager to imitate the Indians because they are progressing at a faster rate than us.

"Their economy is doing better than ours, their political situation is more stable than ours and they are held in greater esteem by the rest of the world," said Bukhari. "We believe imitating them would help us do better too."

But event manager Ayesha Meezan says sometimes the urge to imitate goes too far.

"We often get couples eager to get the Devdas look for their weddings (Devdas is a popular Indian film based on an epic tale of love)," she said. "They're not even willing to consider a theme more indigenous to Pakistan."

But Khan has turned a blind eye to politics and tradition.

"Whatever is going on between the two countries won't affect my decision to go to India to shop, and neither should it."

The Bollywood-ization of Pakistan - thestar.com

Like I said Ahsan, Pakistanis are keen on emulating India whether you like it or not. I see your people at all of our cultural festivals here in the states, all of our movies, desi parties in NYC, our restaurants you name it.

You lot are the ones who are obsessed with India and our culture. You hate us and yet you envy us, like your history your attitude towards us is also confused.

Last edited:
Sorry if its off topic, just trying to prove a point here and move on.

Ahsan this is for you.

Ayesha Akram-Nasir Special to the Star

LAHORE, Pakistan–Sana Khan is engrossed in preparing for her wedding, planned for mid-December.

She's made the rounds of most designer shops in Lahore, checked out the city's jewellers and has begun a regimen of soothing facials and body massages, guaranteed to make her glow on the big day.

But Khan, 26, who works as an advertising executive and earns about $650 per month, still has to do the most important part of her bridal shopping – a trip to India.

"I am planning to buy at least 50 per cent of my dowry from Delhi and Jaipur," she said, giggling with joy at the prospect of a shopping spree in India. "I may even order my bridal there."

Humaira Khawaja, 27, whose brother recently got married in Lahore, has a word of advice for Khan: one trip may not be enough, since she made three trips to India before her brother's wedding.

"All our clothes came from India," said Khawaja, who works with her father at his carpet factory. "All the clothes we gave the bride were Indian, her jewellery came from India and all of our clothes – meaning my sister, nieces, mother – also came from India."

Her reason for preferring merchandise from across the border is simple: "Their workmanship and design elements are so much better than ours. We are nowhere close to them," she said.

At a time when relations between India and Pakistan have once again soured – with both sides blaming each other for recent terrorist attacks – the Bollywood-ization of Pakistan is continuing at full throttle.

"The effect of Indian society on our culture is undeniable and it's constantly increasing," said Amjad Islam Amjad, a cultural commentator based in Lahore.

"We're so much in awe of them that in every aspect of our culture we bow down to them, whether it's imitating their clothes or dances."

While Indian traditions are peacefully taking over Pakistani culture, the two countries have shared a hostile past. Since the split of 1947, when the British raj dismantled its empire, the neighbours have shared a troubled history. For many years they've remained archrivals and have fought two wars – in 1961 and 1975.

This was followed by the bitter Kargil offensive in 1999 in the ongoing dispute over Kashmir.

"The Kargil offensive completely ruptured relationships between Pakistan and India," said Rasool Baksh Raees, a political analyst and professor at the Lahore University of Management Sciences.

"It has taken us years to mend the situation and the wounds are still fresh."

Since 1999, numerous joint initiatives have taken place including bus travel, cricket matches, joint productions in movies and fashion shows of designers from both countries. All these moves led to an acceleration of the Bollywood-ization of Pakistan.

"Their culture is more developed, stronger and more powerful than ours," said Amjad. "Also, they've marketed themselves so well that it's easy for us to believe they are better."

In Pakistani cinemas, Indian films draw huge audiences while the majority of local productions play to empty or half-filled houses. Bollywood celebrities are so popular in Pakistan, event managers prefer booking Indian actors and models to Pakistani celebrities – even if it means paying them 10 times the price of a local entertainer.

At street stalls, vendors market glass bangles by naming them after popular Indian television shows.

Hajra Hayat, a fashion designer, recently became convinced of the Bollywood-ization of Pakistan when she attended a Holi function during a friend's wedding. Holi is an Indian festival where attendees throw coloured powder.

Recently, the Pakistani elite have begun celebrating Holis as part of their wedding extravaganzas.

"We're definitely awestruck by the Indians, more so now than before, which is a testament to the great job their media is doing in marketing their culture," said Hayat.

"I sometimes get brides asking for an outfit to be made in the same colours as the ones that Ashwariya Rai or Kareena Kapoor wore in a certain Indian film. I never get requests from a bride inspired by a Pakistani actress."

Cultural expert and short-story writer Afra Bukhari says Pakistanis are eager to imitate the Indians because they are progressing at a faster rate than us.

"Their economy is doing better than ours, their political situation is more stable than ours and they are held in greater esteem by the rest of the world," said Bukhari. "We believe imitating them would help us do better too."

But event manager Ayesha Meezan says sometimes the urge to imitate goes too far.

"We often get couples eager to get the Devdas look for their weddings (Devdas is a popular Indian film based on an epic tale of love)," she said. "They're not even willing to consider a theme more indigenous to Pakistan."

But Khan has turned a blind eye to politics and tradition.

"Whatever is going on between the two countries won't affect my decision to go to India to shop, and neither should it."

The Bollywood-ization of Pakistan - thestar.com

Hey.. All this is fine, but dont you know that our toilet system sucks :azn:. Right Mr Haq?;)

Hey.. All this is fine, but dont you know that our toilet system sucks :azn:. Right Mr Haq?;)

Lets not give anyone any ideas ;)

I'm surprised Pakistanis think we're 'obsessed' with their country. The average desi almost never hears about Pakistan unless its about some infiltration attempt or some terrorist attack.

Anyways, I have some questions for Ahsan to ponder over, hopefully he'll respond in his next post.

Backtracking on the IPL

I wrote in my previous blog that reality will surface once the dust settles on the IPL auction 2010.

Well it has, and it seems the Pakistani government, PCB, and the cricketers themselves had a knee-jerk response to the IPL fiasco. Now the real comedy will begin as our cricketers try to wriggle out of what the ministers have got them into. First came the misplaced call for unity, now comes the every-man-for-himself clamour.

It took two cunningly placed comments, one from Shah Rukh Khan, the owner of Kolkata Knight Riders, and the other from the Australian assistant coach of Rajasthan, Darren Berry. Shah Rukh said he would have gone for Abdur Razzaq while Berry said they had Umar Akmal in their plans. Get it, guys? No? Read on.

Before the auction, with catastrophic assumption and arrogance, Shahid Afridi had said his preference would be to play for Kolkata or Rajasthan. Now are you reading between the lines? Shahid who? In my books, this oversight will go down as the most pleasantly communicated snub of all time.

The cricketing patriots have already realised the future cost of demanding self-respect. Nationalistic fervour has already been replaced by an attitude of appeasement. When a friend asked if the IPL would really be blocked, I responded, “it’s a matter of days before the threat is forgotten as cable operators realise that by blocking the IPL they’ll lose out on a couple of million rupees in revenues that advertising will generate.”

Plus, the players will realise that their ire has been hijacked by the media for sound bytes, by the ministers for popularity bytes, ex-cricketers for news bytes, the PCB rebels for chairman-seat-claim bytes and the government for vote bytes. For the sake of jingoistic points (which they need after doubling the prices of sugar, petrol, gas and electricity in a matter of 18 months), politicians have unnecessarily given a matter worth sidelining global publicity and brought their own shortcoming into sharp focus.

Now the cricketers, led by Afridi, are rushing to douse the embers as they realise they’ve been made the pawns in a battle of the bytes. In a press release on Tuesday, Afridi expresses his willingness to forgive and forget, claims he will happily visit India to play in the IPL, and in a way snubs both his chairman and the sports minister, who had announced that no Pakistani players would participate in the IPL again.

Chances are, Afridi probably had this change of heart when the SA Redbacks made it clear that he could not share the 3.3-million-dollar winner’s purse in IPL Champions League later this year in the event that the team won.

In the wake of Afridi’s conciliatory message, the argument about who first heightened the stakes will begin, as both Ijaz Butt and Aijaz Jakhrani committed not to send their players to future IPL contests. Both now find themselves being stared down by the players themselves. General Zia ul Haq had crafted ‘cricket diplomacy’ in 1987, but it was crazy for these two to wage a ‘cricket war’ while they were street fighting each other over control of Pakistani cricket.

Some sort of dressing down after the IPL fiasco – and Pakistan’s reaction to it – was inevitable. It is ironic, though, that the cricketing powers that be are now claiming that they have been vindicated. That’s stupid. The statements of Shah Rukh and Indian Home Minister Chidambaram merely confirm what they claimed on January 19: that there is no conspiracy by the government of India and that this is a private affair of an Indian company. Read their statements in totality; they felt threatened by local nationalists and the responsibility to ensure security. Shah Rukh in particular talks of huge revenue losses in that eventuality.

The Indians have also learned diplomatic skills from their former English masters. They see the big picture and know full well that, by now, saner voices have prevailed in Pakistan. For obvious reasons, the last thing the Indians want is a Pakistan with a bruised ego and a score to settle. After all, they have just received permission from the Pakistan government to send Indian food items across the border without requiring prior permission. And so Mr. Chidambaram steps in with his soothing words.

Other than that, there are economical reasons why both have given sympathetic statements. Shah Rukh fears for his market here: My name is Khan is releasing in Pakistan on February 12 and a Pakistani boycott of all things Indian would hurt him (notice he mentions his Pakistani links in his statement).

You will soon hear that the ministers and players have chosen to be big-hearted and will claim to ‘forgive India’ and reinitiate their parliamentarian delegations. The cricketers will allow themselves to be auctioned again. Butt will remind us that his initial reaction to the auction had been: “So what? We didn’t play IPL2 either.” And knowing the Indians they will grin and move on with promises of including Pakistani players in the future. As such, the IPL auction sums up the story of our two nations.
:)

I was afraid you'd make me spell it out for you. What I'm trying to imply is that Pakistan has gone from crisis to crisis in trying to counter India, your country went from being secular to Islamic, from democracy to dictorship and then back again several times all because of your confrontational policies.

You chose instability over reforms and development. That's what I call obsession.
Yes well india is a much bigger country. See, you'd see canadians being obsessed with US but not the other way around. That's the point I am making. You're obsessed with a country much smaller. And again, it's not just about terrorism. indians jump into anything related to Pakistan on any internet forum that they're present on.

India has the 3rd or 4th highest number of people on the internet. Probability thus states that there will more desis than Pakistanis on any given website.

Doesn't change the fact that your people are obsessed with Pakistan.

No it isn't. Your history is a good example. Think about why your military can't keep it's hands out of politics before you reply to my post.

How is that relevent to indians being obsessed with Pakistan. Do you not see indians having boner in Pakistani videos, very often? So our politicians have a history of corruption which never changed. Many Pakistanis even prefer military running the country. That's none of your business. See, you analyizing and knowing all this shows YOUR obsession with Pakistan - and again unrelated to terrorism.

Also, what does going over to india for wedding garments have to do with anything? So you quote one instance of a Pakistani woman going to india to buy their garment? Again, is that supposed to show obsession?

Like I said Ahsan, Pakistanis are keen on emulating India whether you like it or not. I see your people at all of our cultural festivals here in the states, all of our movies, desi parties in NYC, our restaurants you name it.

You lot are the ones who are obsessed with India and our culture. You hate us and yet you envy us, like your history your attitude towards us is also confused.

LMFAO! Kid, you really do not know what you're talking about. How many times I have to repeat this. Watching indian movies is entertainment - it does not mean people are trying to live your culture or being envious of your culture! I watch american movies - and I have no plans of living life like americans do! Your restaurants? So they ate food at your restaurant? And that means they are trying to emulate your lifestyle? LOL.

The "desi" parties you're referring to are trying to emulate western lifestyle, not indian!

Now given that a small number of Pakistanis most likely do want to live foreign lifestype (not necessarily indian - and keep in mind indian lifestyle you're referring to is western liefstype, so in fact they are trying to live that, not indian), maybe 10-20%, but it is not a general thing. And even this, you'll see this in young people. It will go away by the time they're in their 30s.

Last edited:
Boycotting IPL next year by pakistan does not bother IPL franchises, they did not play in IPL 2 aswell. So what kind of effect does it really have ?

Pak players were desperate for home quick cash which they could not make this time, I believe given an opportunity those very players will bend over backwards and play in IPL.

That's the power of $$$$
Actually nothing bother to endian we know that, u know wat in this website ur giving n impression of ur country, over here u indian have proved that all u care about is money n there are somethings much mightier then money which u have failed to prove:agree:, learn to respect :cheers:

lols small minded people:rofl:, i feel sorry for you guys, wat do you mean we watch indian movies(well i have never watched any indian movie in my life cuz its a copy of any hollywood movie, but i noe some pakistani watch) they watch indian movies for entertainment and also cuz some people in pakistan dont understand english properly so they rather watch indian movie instead, u guys hate America then why do you watch Hollywood movies:flame::flame:, just cuz of entertainment right, seriously guys u need to think rationally:hitwall:

n please indians stick to the topic, dont talk about bollywood roflcopter :p :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom