What's new

Pakistan should stop relying on its nuisance value

RockyX

Reaction score
Pakistan should stop relying on its nuisance value

Americans like to use abbreviations. They like simplifying, which does not come from an inability to master sophisticated thought, but rather from a desire to pursue pragmatism to fix a problem.

If American diplomacy came up with the abbreviation “AfPak,” that was not just a simple simplification. On the contrary, it reflected a deeper analysis, highlighting a problem.

Afghanistan is a pawn in the regional geopolitical conflict between countries such as Pakistan, India, Iran, Russia and China. But if the Americans are calling it AfPak, instead of AfIndia, or AfIran, it is not just a matter of phonetics. In comparison to other players, Pakistan’s role in Afghanistan is the most critical one. But so far, that role has been more of a destructive one, rather than a constructive one.

Pakistan is waging its proxy war with India in Afghan territories. But this is a war it cannot win. What’s more, while waging this war, it is fast becoming a failed state – if it is not one already – which could land it the category of rogue state.

Turkey and Pakistan are known to enjoy particularly warm, friendly relations, but cold winds have started to blow between the two due to the Afghan problem.

The Istanbul meeting tomorrow, which aims to lay the groundwork for positive relations among regional players leading to the transition in 2014 when security responsibilities will be transferred by NATO to Afghan authorities, seems to have rung alarm bells in Islamabad. While Pakistan is not in theory against regional cooperation, in practice it does not want regional players, India especially, to become involved.

Looking at the articles written by retired Pakistani ambassadors (one from Tariq Osman Hyder was published in the Hürriyet Daily News; and never mind the fact that they were written by former officials, it certainly reflects the official view), Islamabad is quite annoyed at Turkey for its role in the conference.

The diplomatic initiative is “ambitious in its sweep but confused in its emphasis and flawed in its approach and sequencing” wrote Dr. Maleeha Lodhi, Pakistan’s former envoy to the United States. “Led by Afghanistan and Turkey, the plan is being driven by the U.S. and its key NATO allies who want to unveil this at a regional conference in Istanbul,” she added.

Basically, Pakistan is angry at Turkey and the U.S. which want a result-oriented conference; for the conference to bear fruit, an institutionalization of the process is a must. In other words, in the absence of some kind of a mechanism to monitor the process that might include implementing confidence-building measures, everything said in Istanbul will stay on paper.

My understanding is that the Turkish diplomacy has tried to calm down the Pakistanis, telling them that the presence of Turkey in the regional framework should alleviate the concerns of Pakistanis vis-à-vis other players. After all, the Turks do not have a secret agenda of strengthening the hands of India at the expense of Pakistan.

But I am doubtful that they succeeded in reassuring Pakistan, which, so far, has not given any signals that it will get rid of its anachronistic reflexes.

But at the end of the day, treating Afghanistan as its backyard and waging a proxy war will be to the detriment of Pakistan’s own interests. Pakistan needs to change course and stop relying on its nuisance value.

From Turkey leading news source: Pakistan should stop relying on its nuisance value - Hurriyet Daily News

Articles are good or bad as per own comfort ? :no:

This is well articulated article by Turkey's leading news site. Reliable and all points are very much correct. :tup:

Oh you are Indian hoping the bad relationship affect on both Turkey and Pakistan based on her opinion. She doesn't know what she says.

Yes, it is wrong article and poor thoughts.

This author has it completely wrong. Pakistan is not against a result-oriented solution, it wants Afghanistan-Pakistan disagreements worked out and Pakistan's threat perceptions addressed first then a region-wide solution after that. It's reasonable

The author displays utter ignorance of the history of Pakistan-Afghanistan relations while blindly passing judgment without understanding ground realities. Pakistan is most certainly not the only one who maintains a "nuisance value" in Afghanistan.

In my opinion Pakistan don't want to clear the mess that Americans and Nato will leave behind as they did 20 years ago.Pakistan will have to live with Afghans forever.It had already suffered badly as a result of this 33 years old bloody conflict.

Being a Turk i felt ashamed after reading this.Pakistanis helped us during our war of independence when no one else helped us.If isreal have the right of self defense.Why should not Pakistan have that.They are still hosing 3 million afghan refuges.

Turkey is 1of the most trusted friends ofPAK. So the point of Islamabad being angry is baseless. +the writer didnt mention Soviet invasion of AFG that resultd in creation of militants by CIA in AFG to counter them.

the article is good but what i can say about pakistan's obsession with bleeding india through 1000 cuts is that in the end thay will sing"SAB KUCH LOOTA KE HOSH MEIN AYE TO KYA KIYA"..Thanks & no hard feelings .

Articles are good or bad as per own comfort ? :no:

This is well articulated article by Turkey's leading news site. Reliable and all points are very much correct. :tup:

There are many factual inaccuracies in the article that I can talk about endlessly, but I don't want to.

There are many factual inaccuracies in the article that I can talk about endlessly, but I don't want to.

I could spot none. But to me, the most important thing is the fact that this report is from Turkey ! :)

Indians are very sensitives on one bad topic and keep whining all days about Pakistan relationships. It is acceptable, Indian are crying now because Turkey support strong statements on Kashmir. Just leave them, happy now?

Why do Turks like Pakistan?

Why does Turkey & Pakistan have great friendship?

:cheers:

by Turk, We have lost syria, we are losing iran, we lost arminia and now such an attitude may take us away from pakistan a genuine friend. Pakistan is the only country in the world who supports us on Cyprus issue, no one else.

If American diplomacy came up with the abbreviation “AfPak,” that was not just a simple simplification.

But if the Americans are calling it AfPak, instead of AfIndia, or AfIran, it is not just a matter of phonetics.

Yes, it is not just a matter of phonetics. The reason why it is called the AfPak war in the US is because the war is being fought in the tribal areas of Pakistan, & Afghanistan; not Iran or India.

In comparison to other players, Pakistan’s role in Afghanistan is the most critical one. But so far, that role has been more of a destructive one, rather than a constructive one.[/B]

No evidence of that.

Pakistan is waging its proxy war with India in Afghan territories.

Pakistan isn't waging a proxy war with India in Afghanistan, the Taliban are its own entity & are not controlled by Pakistan.

What’s more, while waging this war, it is fast becoming a failed state – if it is not one already – which could land it the category of rogue stat

Pakistan is anything but a failed state. Failed states are nations like Somalia etc.

Turkey and Pakistan are known to enjoy particularly warm, friendly relations, but cold winds have started to blow between the two due to the Afghan problem

How?

While Pakistan is not in theory against regional cooperation, in practice it does not want regional players, India especially, to become involved.

False:

Kabul-Delhi pact won’t affect Pakistan: Khar | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Looking at the articles written by retired Pakistani ambassadors (one from Tariq Osman Hyder was published in the Hürriyet Daily News; and never mind the fact that they were written by former officials, it certainly reflects the official view), Islamabad is quite annoyed at Turkey for its role in the conference.

Tariq Osman Hyder (whoever he is) is entitled to his views, they reflect the official view in no way.

Basically, Pakistan is angry at Turkey and the U.S. which want a result-oriented conference; for the conference to bear fruit, an institutionalization of the process is a must.

Baseless claims.

My understanding is that the Turkish diplomacy has tried to calm down the Pakistanis, telling them that the presence of Turkey in the regional framework should alleviate the concerns of Pakistanis vis-à-vis other players. After all, the Turks do not have a secret agenda of strengthening the hands of India at the expense of Pakistan.

But I am doubtful that they succeeded in reassuring Pakistan, which, so far, has not given any signals that it will get rid of its anachronistic reflexes.

But at the end of the day, treating Afghanistan as its backyard and waging a proxy war will be to the detriment of Pakistan’s own interests. Pakistan needs to change course and stop relying on its nuisance value.

Gibberish muttering.

Back
Top Bottom