What's new

Pakistan should persuade world to sign nuclear deals

Yes, whether a storm is triggered is what we have to see now..

Signing a new agreement will be a problem we need to check that how many reactors could be built according to the original agreement. If that limit is reached already then it will be difficult to do anything.

It's not growth rate or power status, which attracted Nuclear deal.

It's the impeccable non-proliferation record which lead to the nuclear deal.

This is exactly the reason why Pakistan cannot get nuclear deal. Because pakistani bomb is not indigenous. And the world knows it.

India is a nuclear power.

China seems to be irked by Indo-US nuclear deal and is favouring a similar deal for pakistan. But this will not happen, atleast in the near future.

It is interesting to see that Pakistan never asked for nuclear deal for all these years. It is now that India has secured the deal, that Pakistan is tryint to contact China for similar deal.

No, it won't be beneficial for India nor Pakistan, both will be severly hit by new sanctions with India losing much more on diplomatic ground than Pakistan. .

Dear Neo,

I dont think you read my post in your hurry of posting and doing your MODS duty. I was talking about a scenario in which for some reason Pakistan decides to go in for tests which then forces India to make physical tests too. In such a scenario sanctions will be immediate on Pakistan whereas Indians will then get year to convince NSG why they did it. Sorry but whether u like it or not your country has got the short end of the stick from the US and the NSG. I am sad that this deal went thru as it encourages India to flout rules instead of penalising them.

However knowing how Congress works in USA I am very sure the passage of this bill is not going to be as easy as the Indians feel on this forum.

Regards

However knowing how Congress works in USA I am very sure the passage of this bill is not going to be as easy as the Indians feel on this forum.

Regards

I think there should not be much of a problem for getting it through, because if they delay the process US companies will be in disadvantageous position with respect to contracts getting signed.

I disagree with your contention that campaigning for a nuclear deal for Pakistan will in fact pose more of a risk to Pakistan;'s nuclear program.

Yes there will be criticism of Pakistan's proliferation record, but the more we raise the need for a nuclear deal , the more we talk about the safeguards and controls we have put in place, the more we talk about Pakistan's energy requirements, the more we pursue nuclear reactors and diversify our nuclear fuel supplies, the more the world comes to accept Pakistan as a nuclear state.

So campaigning for our own 'nuclear deal' will only serve to cement our status, not undermine it.

There are various spurious articles on the web claiming all sorts of crazy things - I think that the threads on Pakistan's nuclear tests and programs refute any argument that China conducted the tests.

The seismic readings from most international observers confirm that Pakistan carried out its tests, though there are differences on what the yields were. So lets not raise such flawed arguments again please - it serves no purpose but to inflame.

Dear AM,

I think your way of the mark. Yes USA may help you but not before you give them AQ on a platter. That will be good enough to create a civil strife or even a war in Pakistan.

I think the leaders will hum and haw for public consumption and thats the end of it. Zardari will sign a hollow agreement with China again for public consumption but I doubt it will have any value since China itself is using US help to build their plants.

Regards

I think there should not be much of a problem for getting it through, because if they delay the process US companies will be in disadvantageous position with respect to contracts getting signed.

Lets wait and watch. Both the pro and anti lobbies are very strong.

Regards

Yes ....you are right that its not going to be easy......but majority of the US congressman have voted for this deal earliear........Both pressidential candidate have express full support to the deal.......Then There is also a non proliferation lobby which is working against the deal but the thing is that they are in minority....... thats the reason why we belive that the deal will be passed.........

Signing a new agreement will be a problem we need to check that how many reactors could be built according to the original agreement. If that limit is reached already then it will be difficult to do anything.

The Chasma-2 was right around the time that China became part of the NSG wasn't it?

The usual critics raised the same arguments of 'non-proliferation and the NSG being mocked', but in the end the deal went through and was approved by the IAEA in 2006.

The point here is that the world has even less room for criticism given that India was able to get waivers through a mere 'verbal moratorium' and without signing the NPT - so it remains to be seen how effective and strong criticism will be if China and Pakistan were to carry on with discussions initiated in 2006 over constructing reactors to provide up to 8000 MW of energy.

any way what AN says is correct, let us wait and watch how it goes

The Chasma-2 was right around the time that China became part of the NSG wasn't it?

The usual critics raised the same arguments of 'non-proliferation and the NSG being mocked', but in the end the deal went through and was approved by the IAEA in 2006.

The point here is that the world has even less room for criticism given that India was able to get waivers through a mere 'verbal moratorium' and without signing the NPT - so it remains to be seen how effective and strong criticism will be if China and Pakistan were to carry on with discussions initiated in 2006 over constructing reactors to provide up to 8000 MW of energy.
exactly you are correct "just around the time" but the contract was signed earlier. I that contract contains more number of reactors can be built then no problem. signing new contract will be a problem.

Pak not on par with India, so no nuke deal: US - Express India

The US on Tuesday ruled out the possibility of entering into a civil nuclear deal with Pakistan, rejecting apparent demands by China in this regard.
"I don't think there is one," US Ambassador David C Mulford said when asked about the possibility of Washington having a civil nuclear deal with Islamabad on the lines of Indo-US agreement.

Ever since negotiations started on the Indo-US nuclear deal in July 2005, Pakistan has been pleading for a similar agreement citing parity with India.

China has lately started taking up Pakistan's case in a veiled manner.

At the meeting of Nuclear Suppliers Group in Vienna last week to consider waiver for India, a Chinese representative had said the 45-nation grouping should address similar ‘aspirations’ of other countries too.

Though Mulford did not elaborate, the US feels that Pakistan cannot be treated on par with India in the civil nuclear field considering its bad track record in this area.

Pakistan is known to be a source of nuclear proliferation, with even its former chief scientist A Q Khan being found guilty of indulging in this act.

To a question on China's negative role at the NSG, Mulford refused to comment, merely saying ‘In the end, they did the right thing’.

China, which had assured India that it will not create problems for the waiver at NSG, had tried to block the initiative during the grouping's meeting in Vienna last week before coming around on the issue

Dear AM,

I think your way of the mark. Yes USA may help you but not before you give them AQ on a platter. That will be good enough to create a civil strife or even a war in Pakistan.

I think the leaders will hum and haw for public consumption and thats the end of it. Zardari will sign a hollow agreement with China again for public consumption but I doubt it will have any value since China itself is using US help to build their plants.

Regards
You are reading my post out of context - it was largely a response to ZK's argument that campaigning for a nuclear deal would pose a risk to Pakistan's nuclear program, when it would in fact solidify Pakistan's status.

Who said anything about the US helping Pakistan?

Chasma-2 was signed and implemented long after the US knew of AQ and his activities.

I have no doubt that china will give you a deal but nothing which will be as clean as the NSG waiver can do. Please see in addition to the uranium and refinement tech what else Indians can get from the NSG. For eg now India can pursue cold fusion (research) and thorium reactors (trial reactor) in their own country as they can get the equipment from Swiss and the Canadians on a platter instead of going overseas.

Regards

Zee News - Sino-Pak nuclear impossible

New Delhi, Sept 09: The US Ambassador to India, David Mulford, on Wednesday stated that a nuclear deal between China and Pakistan is not possible as the 45-member Nuclear Suppliers Group won’t grant a waiver to Islamabad.

Incidentally, government sources in India also sounded confident that the Sino-Pak nuke deal is neither viable nor possible.

Their conviction is based on Pakistan’s poor non-proliferation record and disgraced scientist A Q Khan’s complicity in it, which will virtually make it impossible for the deal to muster support at the NSG or IAEA.

The statements by US and India come in the wake of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari’s proposed China visit next week to negotiate a nuclear deal similar to the one between India and the US.

"Pakistan is already in touch with China for the nuclear deal to meet its energy crisis and the talks would start during Zardari's visit," an official said on condition of anonymity.

Zardari, who was elected President last Saturday, will be sworn in today and has already announced that his first foreign visit will be to China.

The official said that under the proposed deal, China will supply nuclear material to Pakistan to meet its energy crisis.

"This has nothing to do with the US-India deal but that has certainly provided us a way out to meet our energy crisis," he said.

Pakistan and China have a long history of close co-operation, including in the nuclear sector. China is said to be the brain behind Pakistan’s nuclear weapons programme.

Sino-Pak nuclear deal is impossible.

NSG and IAEA will not approve it.

However, undercover activities can be done as usual.

Back
Top Bottom