What's new

Pakistan’s ISI from the inside

Is karachi Target killings is done by Pak Army? Is Pak Army Interfering in Politics now a days? Is Political circus is being done on behalf of Army? Then why pointing towards army to have reforms in it? When Political government is busy in making and breaking alliances with everyone, ignoring plights of common masses, is busy in fight with judiciary, busy in Corruptions and saving corrupt officers.

What our Islam mongers don't seem to understand is the jihadi Pakistan army is going to be constantly under the gun, internally and externally - and it's not because as these Islamists wish to claim, that Pakistanis hate Islam - what Pakistanis want is a sane, effective army -- and an army that is more concerned about confession and sectarian concerns, is neither, professional, neither effective and is in the context it is in, not sane.

Please Elaborate!

Pakistanis hate Islam?? Doesn’t make sense.. rest of the paragraph is just gibberish..

Why is it under threat internally? Having gone ideological, the Pakistan army instead of promoting the idea that all citizens are equal, actually promotes that citizens are not equal, that the consideration of confession and sect is primary - How does it do that? I refer you to the very motto this army has adopted. This motto is a reflection of the ethic that informs the army, the ethic that decides careers.

Please Elaborate!!

Nothing makes sense in this paragraph also.. what motto? How does it promotes that citizen are not all equal? And which ethic you are referring too?

Gibberish!

So why would a majority Muslim country not adopt a Jihadi ethic? Primarily because it is in the interests of a group to obscure the differences between Islam, the religion of Faith in God, on one hand Islam-ism, a political ideology that seeks to cloak it's ideology of political violence in the idiom of Islam. from 1947 to 1979, the Pakistan army did not use any such ideological orientation, the heinous coup d'etat of the Jamaati general Zia ul Haq, followed by the Islamization project, ensured that the Pakistan army would be developed on the ideology of Islam-ism and in particular be imbued with a jihadi ethic.

Please Elaborate!

Pakistan army was Islamic army in 1965 war also, listen to the ‘nara-e-takbeer’ and ‘Allah-o-Akbar’ in the ‘few’ recordings we have.

Fist part of your paragraph until you came to Zia is again Gibberish! Rest is the only slogan you are repeating like a tape recorder!

But why is the jihadi Pakistan army a bone of contention?

Because it is divisive, it acts against the very unity of Pakistan and the reason is because the ideology of Islamism is both enemy seeking and enemy making. Look at what has become of "Islamic" Pakistan and please also look at what has become of Islam itself in Pakistan - we no longer know which Islam, which sect, which shariah - because each of these ideas (enemy seeking and enemy making - need for the perpetuation and justification of the ideology) now finds multiple owners, with Pakistan army being one set of owners and the religious political parties another major set and the Islamist insurgents, yet another major set, along with thousands of others clerics and "non-state" actors, each with their version.

You make some valid points in this because it serves your purpose, suddenly your English is understandable.

Then again, why not educate/repel the insurgents and non-state actors? Why are you hell-bent on Army? Why do you want the army to de-Islamise? Fearlessness is a plus for any soldier isn’t it? Shaheed or Ghazi, both worthy rewards!

Critical readers and some apologists will suggest that I have used a broad brush to paint Islamism with, how can we be responsive that this charge? Lets look at the the record in Pakistan, is there is a counter Islamist narrative, which argues that the use of Islam as a political tool, infused with violence, is counter to the very notion of Islam (Peace)? -- See, if there were such a counter narrative of national significance, we would have ot concede that we have painted the ideology with a broad brush, but unfortunately, there isn't one.

Elaborate please!

Your use of English is again gone out of control, anyways, what I can understand is that you only take Islam as a peaceful religion, it in fact is, but there are other aspects of Islam also, where you are ordered to raise arms when repelling an invader or aggressor.

So no, you are not using the broad brush, you are using a ‘narrow’ brush!

Now we have positioned the Jihadi Pakistan army against Islamists use term that army to be APOSTATE - please, please think about this incredible development - this internal contradiction is a mortal threat to the army - and this is also the primary reason the state and the Pakistan army, even after 10 years of fighting the Islamist, is not able to come up with a narrative to justify how a "Islamic" Jihadi army is at war with Islamist and Jihadists.

Twisted Logic!!

The Jihadists and Islamists you are referring to are going against the soul of Islam, so tomorrow if a Christian states that his version of Christianity is Islam we should accept it?

Again, why should we take Islam out of Pakistani Army who are majority Muslims?

Ok but why would such a Jihadi army be under constant threat from external players??

Aren’t you giving answer in your own question? If you expand the term ‘Jihadi’ to ‘Islamic’, you’ll get your answer.

Because it is not seen as a national army, that is to say it is fundamentally illegitimate in the eyes of those whom it must win over Key board and other kinds of Islamists are very different from the real one, the real ones are not reading this argument, they never ever will – if the Pakistan army is seen as APOSTATE, what possible interest will those of have done this have in such discussions as this one?? And of course, as you can see on these pages, the same applies to the Jihadi army and it's apologists.

Elaborate please!!!

Honestly mate, you really need to straighten your English up, and stop using that ‘thesaurus’ in MS Word. It doesn’t do you any good but makes it difficult for us to understand your POV. For example, do let me know what you meant in the bold part.

Again.. Gibberish!

Because Islamism is fundamentally violent, enemy seeking and enemy making, neither tha Pakistan state nor the Jihadi army can be trusted to be a part of any meaningful part of any international political and economic construct - and it must win it's position by constant threat of use of force, of coercion - Is this other than the pattern we see in the kinds of positions the Jihadi Pakistan army continues to take??

I guess you are trying to say that, in order to be a part of international political and economic construct, Pakistan has to de-Islamise its army, fair enough, that is your POV, but honestly speaking, its not the Army, but the threat of a possible Muslim power which is strong enough to defend itself and its friends, and retaliate if required, is the global concern within anti-Islam actors right now. Just like you!

Friends, the argument is super uncomplicated - Pakistan are a talent nation, the Pakistan army's foundations were never Islamist, However, since 1979, not by popular or democratic means but by conspiracy and illegitimately, the orientation of the Pakistan army was forcefully changed. The ISI is composed of talented Pakistanis, but as a agency of the Jihadi army, it is also imbued with the same ethic -- to save Pakistan, to save the Army and her agencies, the contagion that is Islamist ethic, must be removed.

As usual, all the ranting and Gibberish ended up on one thing and one thing only.. Change the Army and ISI.. :)

I honestly can not understand the criterion of ‘think tank’ on this forum; can anyone please explain it to me? Is it how good you are in talking vaguely or is it the knowledge of how to use ‘thesaurus’?

Now I’m looking forward to an infringement warning :D

I beg to differ with you. Others may have died without leaving a trace but shaitan Zia (astaghfirullah) is an exception. The impacts of his myopic "policies" are so profound and perennial that almost after three decades of his mubarak death every single problem Pakistan is confronting has its roots in his hollow skull.
I agree, but you can't really go back and 'kil Zia again', nor are any of his 'Lieutenants' in power in the military currently. The current COAS was appointed with the agreement and approval of the daughter of the man killed by Zia, and the same COAS had his term extended by another three years by the Son in Law of ZA Bhutto.

Kayani and the Army under him have tangibly removed themselves from domestic politics - I don't see any reason to place the current set of Army leadership in anywhere close to the same category as Ayub, Yahya, Zia and Musharraf, and you have yet to demonstrate how these 'retired Generals are still influencing government'.

The military leadership has changed significantly, and it will continue to change, and hopefully bring fresh minds and policies to the job as time passes. I see nothing of the sort happening with the major political parties, which look to remain in the hands of the Sharif's, Zardari's, Chaudhries, Wadera's and Sardar's for decades to come.
The recent ongoing fight between the judiciary and executive happens in every unstable democratic countries. Let them fight and learn from their own mistakes.
While these institutions fight, Pakistan burns and support for democracy continues to deteriorate. This 'fight' is unnecessary, and is happening only because the PPP is trying to save its corrupt leadership and policies. The current 'executive vs Judiciary' tensions arise out of the executive's decision to ignore judicial instructions. There is no justification for the PPP's behavior on this count (just as there was no justification for the PML-N and Musharraf's behavior in ignoring the Judiciary) - we cannot pick and choose what decision's by the court we wish to abide by. Whether we like it or not, the Supreme Court's decision's need to be respected and implemented.

I agree, but you can't really go back and 'kil Zia again', nor are any of his 'Lieutenants' in power in the military currently. The current COAS was appointed with the agreement and approval of the daughter of the man killed by Zia, and the same COAS had his term extended by another three years by the Son in Law of ZA Bhutto.

Kayani and the Army under him have tangibly removed themselves from domestic politics - I don't see any reason to place the current set of Army leadership in anywhere close to the same category as Ayub, Yahya, Zia and Musharraf, and you have yet to demonstrate how these 'retired Generals are still influencing government'.

The military leadership has changed significantly, and it will continue to change, and hopefully bring fresh minds and policies to the job as time passes. I see nothing of the sort happening with the major political parties, which look to remain in the hands of the Sharif's, Zardari's, Chaudhries, Wadera's and Sardar's for decades to come.

While these institutions fight, Pakistan burns and support for democracy continues to deteriorate. This 'fight' is unnecessary, and is happening only because the PPP is trying to save its corrupt leadership and policies. The current 'executive vs Judiciary' tensions arise out of the executive's decision to ignore judicial instructions. There is no justification for the PPP's behavior on this count (just as there was no justification for the PML-N and Musharraf's behavior in ignoring the Judiciary) - we cannot pick and choose what decision's by the court we wish to abide by. Whether we like it or not, the Supreme Court's decision's need to be respected and implemented.

I would like to give credit to Musharraf for Army's present distance from the politics. Once he was asked about military takeovers, he categorically replied, that he is personally against military take overs, these should not be happened. And everyone laughed, now I realize that whatever he said was a 'truth' not realized by the laughers.

But I think, the democratic govt. which is not real representative of people of Pakistan, should have some limits. CJ is trying define limits of the Govt. but yet he is himself trying to be a 'dictator'. So I think there should be a check and balance and these polticians should have fear of Army / or any other 'creature'.

Well I agree with respect to the respect of decisions of Supreme Court. But isn't supreme court alongwith the Govt. is wasting its times by unnecessarily lingering the cases on. Aren't it supposed to address the problems of lower courts? If it is able to bring some changes in lower courts, as these are going to last till the judiciary exists, it will be a bless for people of Pakistan. However, it can finger the Govt. people when they will be out of Govt.

I would like to give credit to Musharraf for Army's present distance from the politics. Once he was asked about military takeovers, he categorically replied, that he is personally against military take overs, these should not be happened. And everyone laughed, now I realize that whatever he said was a 'truth' not realized by the laughers.

But I think, the democratic govt. which is not real representative of people of Pakistan, should have some limits. CJ is trying define limits of the Govt. but yet he is himself trying to be a 'dictator'. So I think there should be a check and balance and these polticians should have fear of Army / or any other 'creature'.

Correction: CJ is not trying to be a 'dictator', a dictator does not follow constitution whereas CJ's decisions are based on what the constitution says, so he is just trying to uphold the rule of law..

Correction: CJ is not trying to be a 'dictator', a dictator does not follow constitution whereas CJ's decisions are based on what the constitution says, so he is just trying to uphold the rule of law..

Last para added, to clear my view.

Last para added, to clear my view.

Point is valid and cordially taken.. i too believe that Supreme Court should work more on streamlining the lower courts so that people do not have to rely on Supreme court for everything.. On the other hand, there is no check on the Government right now in their spree of disasters, Army is not interfering, as they promised i may add, in the political setup.. so CJs approach is valid to some extent too..

The reason why I don't really hold the Army/ISI responsible for every problem in Pakistan is because firstly, Deobandi extremism swept into right after its inception, whereas the Army was pretty much free from it till the end of the 70s. Secondly, the Pakistan Army is a product of Pakistani society, it recruits from Pakistani society, not from anywhere else.

We should not turn this topic into desired direction to criticize Islamic motto of PA. Those who want to change they are living in fool's paradise and talking over some agenda proving their ideas as super moderate and liberalism but in fact they are forgetting basics of our society which is the base of every institutional strength.

How many times it should be repeated and told that Pakistan has it's own strategies, own realities and own priorities which sometimes suffered by its own plannings but it doesn't means we should change them all in favour of other. This is what main article concentrates and at the the reality which is unchanged with ISI.

Those who want to change they are living in fool's paradise and talking over some agenda proving their ideas as super moderate and liberalism but in fact they are forgetting basics of our society which is the base of every institutional strength.

Other than the ISI/PA, what other institutions of "strength" are left? Even these remaining paragons appear to be succumbing to the same diseases that have brought down the rest of the state institutions.

You should perhaps consider that those criticizing your favored positions are doing so for Pakistan's benefit rather than otherwise.

The reason why I don't really hold the Army/ISI responsible for every problem in Pakistan is because firstly, Deobandi extremism swept into right after its inception, whereas the Army was pretty much free from it till the end of the 70s. Secondly, the Pakistan Army is a product of Pakistani society, it recruits from Pakistani society, not from anywhere else.

Billu

Why is this argument not credible?

1. Your position does not explain why the army went Islamist in 1979 - and when you address this objection, you will also have to deal with the fact that the islamist ideology was imposed through the Army COAS who took power in coup and hanged a legitimately elected Premier. That is to say his acts were illegal.

2. Yes, army recruits from society, of course, where else would it recruit from, mars? All armies, indoctrinate recruits in the ethic of the army -- that's they break down the personality the recruit comes into the service with and create a new personality of the recruit, a personality imbued with the ethic of the army - that's how a recruit gets to belong, the recruit is indoctrinated and the recruit identifies with the values that represent the ethic of the army, any army --- So to say that Islamism is a societal force, and so if Pakistan army personnel are Islamist, it only means that they reflect society, is not only faulty reasoning, it's factually wrong.

See, it does not matter for the army, any army, who the recruit is and where the recruit is from, or what his or her background is - what matters to the army, any army, is what they can make of the recruit --- Think of the thread "Made in PMA" -- All armed forces personnel are the creations of the institutions they serve

^ which brings us this conclusion : Pakistan is a nation built for an army.

- shahabas

1. Your position does not explain why the army went Islamist in 1979 - and when you address this objection, you will also have to deal with the fact that the islamist ideology was imposed through the Army COAS who took power in coup and hanged a legitimately elected Premier. That is to say his acts were illegal.

You admitted yourself that the "Islamization" process itself began in Pakistan right after 1947, when slogans such as "Pakistan ka matlab he La Illaha Illallah" started coming around, when the Deobandis in India started sweeping into Pakistan & corrupting Pakistan society. This was not done by the Army. The Pakistan Army did not recruit these extremist elements into Pakistan. The Pakistan Army did not form the Pakistan society right after 1947. The extremism which Zia started in 1979 was a much later situation. It was not the Army that constitutionally stated that Pakistan was the "Islamic Republic of Pakistan" in 1956. In fact, I believe it was taken off by Ayub Khan in 1962, & then reinstated by Z.A.Bhutto in the 1973 constitution, again not by the Army.

2. Yes, army recruits from society, of course, where else would it recruit from, mars? All armies, indoctrinate recruits in the ethic of the army -- that's they break down the personality the recruit comes into the service with and create a new personality of the recruit, a personality imbued with the ethic of the army - that's how a recruit gets to belong, the recruit is indoctrinated and the recruit identifies with the values that represent the ethic of the army, any army --- So to say that Islamism is a societal force, and so if Pakistan army personnel are Islamist, it only means that they reflect society, is not only faulty reasoning, it's factually wrong.

See, it does not matter for the army, any army, who the recruit is and where the recruit is from, or what his or her background is - what matters to the army, any army, is what they can make of the recruit --- Think of the thread "Made in PMA" -- All armed forces personnel are the creations of the institutions they serve

I agree with all this. Again, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to absolve the Army off anything, but blaming them for all the problems of Pakistan isn't fair in my opinion.

blaming them for all the problems of Pakistan isn't fair in my opinion.

This is a misunderstanding of my position - My position is not that the Pakistan army is responsible for all that is wrong in Pakistan. My position is that by patronizing Islamism and incorporating it within the ethic of the Army, the army has helped propel Pakistani society into Islmaism, it has given Islamism a legitimacy that now so confuses Pakistanis, that they now are fighting about which Islam, Which shariah, Which sect -- the very source that we were told would unite us, now serves to divide us.

We were Muslims before 1979, weren't we?? and the army was all of Pakistan's army - the armed forces was home of all Pakistanis, not just Muslims, primarily Sunni? What was so wrong with that Pakistan or that army that the Jamaati ideology was supposed to be medicine for??

On my point 1. 1979 was more than just a coup, it was the imposition of an ideology by force on Pakistan - it is essentially wholly illegal, an illegitimate ideology. This illegitimacy taints the army and gives ammunition to our enemies - we are now in the position where a jihadi islamist armyis fighting a jihadi Islamist Pakistani insurgent -- consider the policemen executed by the Talib, for being apostates, that is to say serving the Pakistani state is apostacy, can you get your head around that?? And look in Balouchistan, not only insurgency but Sunni extremists financed by the Banker of islamism, Wahabi Arabia, kill Shi'ah - again, Pakistanis killing Pakistanis because of confessional and sectarian considerations.

Now if the Army, with the influence and esteem it hold in society were begin to shed herself of this ideology, she would lead, just as she did in bringing Islamism into society, to lead society out of Islamist extremism.

Other than the ISI/PA, what other institutions of "strength" are left? Even these remaining paragons appear to be succumbing to the same diseases that have brought down the rest of the state institutions.

You should perhaps consider that those criticizing your favored positions are doing so for Pakistan's benefit rather than otherwise.

That's problem, people went for accusing whole body rather then eliminating cause of disease.Till that time you will not treat social disease, there is no importance of discussion over institutional strength situation. btw no surprise because it's common psychological answer from a common Pakistani. I think you will not oppose this fact that a ordinary thinking should not be mutual thinking which could be harmful for national cause.

I am considering and evaluating from where those words are coming out and what could be their motto presenting their brilliant ideas covered in liberal criticism.

Back
Top Bottom