What's new

Pakistan : Plenty in a Name ?

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Plenty in a name? | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Came across this intesting letter in The Nation today.

Am reproducing it , wonder what the Pk readers think of its contents which are ' radical' ..?

According to a report in the daily The Nation of 19.11.09, Awami National Party (ANP) has proposed during deliberations of the Parliamentary Reforms Committee that the name of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan should be the Peoples Republic of Pakistan. The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and Pakistan People's Party (PPP) have also reportedly supported the move. I fully agree with the proposal. In fact, the very name of Pakistan is contradictory to Islam. In the first place, there is no 'P' in the Arabic, the language of Allah. So our Arab brothers call it (El) 'Bakistan'.

Actually the name of Pakistan was coined by the pro-Congress press on the eve of the passage of 1940 Resolution by the All India Muslim League to establish independent Muslim states in Hindustan.

The 1940 resolution, by the way, did not mention the name 'Pakistan', though it came to be known as 'The Pakistan Resolution' following the name given to it by the Hindu press. Let us also admit now that the character of the nation inhabiting this country is any thing but Islamic. Our country's Islamic name has therefore become a bad reference for Islam. It would be better if we called it simply 'Muslimastan', as it was actually intended to be as per the 1940 Resolution? -T. S. BOKHARI, Attock, November 20.

^^^The name Pakistan was coined on basis of regions which it was to posses not Islam and 1940 Resolution did not gave any name for independent country which was to be made.The name was choosen way afterwards while one can have different opinions on Islamic Republic or People's Republic but what this man suggests Muslmanistan is so stupid,he must be victim of propaganda in Zia's Era of those which use to oppose creation of Pakistan(the anti Pakistan Mullahs at that time).

and P beeing not in Arabic is nothing contridictory to Islam many muslims speak other languages and they prey(Dua) to God in their native language and this P is used in translation of Quran in Farsi and Urdu laguages.

So whats the point in posting a letter of guy who seems to be very ill Informed do you want this thread to become a flame like other ones?.

Last edited:
Plenty in a name? | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Came across this intesting letter in The Nation today.

Am reproducing it , wonder what the Pk readers think of its contents which are ' radical' ..?

According to a report in the daily The Nation of 19.11.09, Awami National Party (ANP) has proposed during deliberations of the Parliamentary Reforms Committee that the name of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan should be the Peoples Republic of Pakistan. The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and Pakistan People's Party (PPP) have also reportedly supported the move. I fully agree with the proposal. In fact, the very name of Pakistan is contradictory to Islam. In the first place, there is no 'P' in the Arabic, the language of Allah. So our Arab brothers call it (El) 'Bakistan'.

Actually the name of Pakistan was coined by the pro-Congress press on the eve of the passage of 1940 Resolution by the All India Muslim League to establish independent Muslim states in Hindustan.

The 1940 resolution, by the way, did not mention the name 'Pakistan', though it came to be known as 'The Pakistan Resolution' following the name given to it by the Hindu press. Let us also admit now that the character of the nation inhabiting this country is any thing but Islamic. Our country's Islamic name has therefore become a bad reference for Islam. It would be better if we called it simply 'Muslimastan', as it was actually intended to be as per the 1940 Resolution? -T. S. BOKHARI, Attock, November 20.

........ what exactly is the point of your debate here ? im sorry what exactly IS your debate here

Maybe bashing the name Pakistan it was only thing left which was not bashed by Indians.:sick:

Hello ...

You could call it Disney land or USA for all the diff it makes to me. I am one of those who has accepted Pk as a un changeable reality all along

I am merely reproducing a letter which to me has strange contents written by a Pakistani & published in a Pakistani newspaper. This one was new even to me hence I merely sought inputs from all.

PS: If you have a problem, pls contact TS Bokhari of Attock. Further details can be obtained from the Editor of The Nation.

Mods : Pls close this thread if felt necessary.

Last edited:
It means "The Land of the Pure."

But Pure what?

That is a question only Pakistanis today can answer.

Cheers, Doc

Arabic does not have a P so they should stop drinking Bebsi and stop Barking their cars :D

Ridiculous argument, Pakistan should not be a country with an Islamic mission anyway. How about just Pakistan instead of Peoples republic or Islamic Republic, altogether.

Also the name Pakistan wasn't coined by the Pro-Hindu press, it was actually first used in a 1933 pamphlet by a Cambridge Student, Choudhary Rahmat Ali, as Pakstan, later he changed it to Pakistan for easy pronunciation.

The reason that the Lahore Resoluion (now known as Pakistan Resolution) did not demand the formation of a different country. Jinnah's earlier version of Pakistan was a land within unified India with utmost autonomy. However it was a betrayal by the Congress (more specifically by Nehru, who had initially agreed to this autonomous land) which forced his hand into demanding a Pakistan, which was more like 1945.

It means "The Land of the Pure."

But Pure what?

That is a question only Pakistanis today can answer.

Cheers, Doc
Actually it does not.

The Persian word Pak means ritually cleansed for spiritual purposes. Pak here more closely signifies a Righteous land and not something like Land of the Pure (actually such translations are considered offensive), which has highly racist connotations to it.

Pakistan is an Urdu word not Arabic:lol:

It means , Paak lnsaanon k rehay ki sarzameen ( land of pure)

BTW what does Hindustan means? can someone answer!

Thanks Asim.

I am glad you specified that, cause it sure as hell is racially offensive to the 1.2 billion people Pakistan left behind.

And add to that, Religiously offensive to 150 million Indian Muslims who chose not to go along.

Cheers, Doc

Pakistan is an Urdu word not Arabic:lol:

It means , Paak lnsaanon k rehay ki sarzameen ( land of pure)

BTW what does Hindustan means? can someone answer!

Hindustan got its name , well some say , because muslims gave india the name hindu-stan coz of majority hindu population,
but I think it got its name from the name Indus river , indus-stan , place of Indus.

Errr thank you, but what's the use ...... what's 30 million this way or that when the 150 million did not count to begin with?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:
Thanks Asim.

I am glad you specified that, cause it sure as hell is racially offensive to the 1.2 billion people Pakistan left behind.

And add to that, Religiously offensive to 150 million Indian Muslims who chose not to go along.

Cheers, Doc
Correction the many Muslims of India could not leave because of the violence and the certain death that awaited them while crossing the border. Anyway thats another debate but I'd like to correct a fallacy there.

Correction the many Muslims of India could not leave because of the violence and the certain death that awaited them while crossing the border. Anyway thats another debate but I'd like to correct a fallacy there.

The 150 Muslims did not go to Pakistan for the same reasons a huge number of Hindus and Sikhs and Christians stayed in Pakistan......

They could not gather courage to leave their life.
They too poor to move
they thought life would be better if they stayed here.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom