What's new

Pakistan: New gas reserve discovered.

thoda india bhi bhej dena..:ashamed:

Since Oil & Gas sector happens to be the area that I have spent 40 years of working life, I happen to know a little about it especially in reference to the Subcontinent.

I am not pro Indian nor am I totally anti-Indian. To describe my feeling towards India, I would borrow a phrase from the famous Indian writer Kuldeep Nayyaar; India & Pakistan are ‘friends & foe’ combined into one. Strange but not unexpected among the siblings and whether we like it or not, whole of subcontinent was one country until midnight 14th August 1947.

Since we are discussing gas discoveries in Pakistan, it would not out of place to discuss energy situation of our erstwhile neighbour.

After US, China & Japan; Indian is currently 4th largest energy consumer in the world and energy requirement are growing at the alarmingly high rate of 6 to 7 % per year which means doubling every 15 – 16 years. Largest energy source is coal (40%) followed by petroleum & gas (30%) with bio energy (from cow dung & waste) forming a significant 20%. Nuclear energy production is less than 5%.

Indian coal reserves are bout 65-billion tons; mostly anthracite & bituminous variety; and to date about 70 % of annual coal production of about 600-million tons being consumed for power production. Indian still imports about 150- million tons of high grade coal annually.

Accordingly to the latest info available with me, Indian total oil reserves are about 5.5 –billion barrels (about half off-shore) and production of Crude & NGL just under 1-million barrels per day against total refining capacity of approx. 4.3-million barrels per day. Thus India spends enormous amount of money on oil imports.

Total gas reserves are about 44-TCF (70% offshore) with consumption of about 2.4-TCF per year and rising, these are not going to last very long. Consequently Indian is now the 6th largest importer of LNG, mostly from Qatar.

To meet the energy short fall Tight/Shale hydrocarbons are being exploited. According to Ravi Misra of ONGC, India has large reservoir of tight/shale gas in the Krishna Godavari, Cauvery, Assam and Damador valley, West Bengal, Gujarat & Cambay off shore basins with total potential somewhere between 300 to 900 TCF!

Understand ONGC (Oil& Natural Gas Corporation) has already started drilling tight/shale deposits in West Bengal, Gujarat & Cambay.

Finally, for Indian members; I don’t presume to know more than you and my figure are estimates only. However IMO Pakistani members of the forum should have an idea about what is happening in our neighbouring country in the very important energy sector. And the above explains why India could be seduced to abandon IPI pipeline with the bribe of cheap nuclear energy technology from the US.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has discovered a new gas reserve in southern Sindh province that would help reduce acute gas shortages for industry and transport, the petroleum ministry said Friday.

Italian energy major ENI with joint venture partners Pakistan Petroleum Limited and Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company made the discovery in the Kirthar Fold Belt region 270 kilometres north of Karachi.

“During the production testing gas flowed at 33 million cubic feet per day highlighting an excellent potential for the future for energy needs of the country,” the ministry said in a statement.

Officials said that under an early production scheme, gas supply from the new reserve would be possible within three years.

Pakistan’s Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Sohail Wajahat Siddiqui said that the discovery was “good news for the nation and the energy sector of Pakistan”.

The discovery of new oil and gas reservoirs were “vital” to cope with the prevailing energy shortage in the country, Siddiqui said.

ENI has been in Pakistan since 2000 and is the country’s largest producer, with an average production of 54,800 barrels of oil equivalent per day in 2011.

Pakistan has had an endemic energy crisis for years, characterised by frequent blackouts, which has crippled the economy.

The crisis is blamed on chronic mismanagement and corruption.

No offence but since i joined this forum , pakistan has declared many times they have trillions in natural wealth , yet they have done nothing to extract it. rather than these threads it would be refreshing to see an article describe these fields being utilized.

Unfortunately KBD couldn't build now ... Its too late & have lost its benefits .............

I disagree we need clean energy and importantly need to harness water which we are wasting mercilessly.

I disagree we need clean energy and importantly need to harness water which we are wasting mercilessly.

Actually our politicians has badly used KBD project for sake of their politics ... Now after wasting 40 years perhaps it could not be workable ... Now we will focus on other projects which are being wasted for the long time ........

No offence but since i joined this forum , pakistan has declared many times they have trillions in natural wealth , yet they have done nothing to extract it. rather than these threads it would be refreshing to see an article describe these fields being utilized.

Hon sir,
You are welcome to believe what you will. I have already answered part of your question in my post (#19) in this very thread. For the rest kindly refer to :

Pakistan » Energy Delta Institute

natural gas reserves in pakistan | PakistanEconomy's Blog

There is no lack of will regarding extraction of gas. A shortsighted policy of the GOP, which diverted gas towards its utilization as cheap auto fuel (now Pakistan has the largest number of CNG cars in the world) is the reason why we have gas load shedding in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom