What's new

Pakistan needs a Good English language online news channel

CrazyZ

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
After scanning the internet news channels over the last year I think Pakistan needs a good English language online news channel to improve its narrative and image globally. The Turks have TRT, the Arabs have Al Jazeera, the Russians have RT, the Chinese have CGTN, the Indians have NDTV, Germans have DW, the french have France 24....and there are many more international examples.

When I say good I mean a news channel that provides timely good analysis on current events. The content on PTV and Indus news really are not the same caliber as the channels I mentioned above. Even folks on PDF link reports from DW or Al Jazeera but nothing from an english language Pakistani channel.

Its even more strange when you consider that Pakistan was a British colony and most educated Pakistanis speak english. And most oversees expats watch urdu news and channels on youtube....meaning their is a business case in addition to geopolitical concerns.

After scanning the internet news channels over the last year I think Pakistan needs a good English language online news channel to improve its narrative and image globally. The Turks have TRT, the Arabs have Al Jazeera, the Russians have RT, the Chinese have CGTN, the Indians have NDTV, Germans have DW, the french have France 24....and there are many more international examples.

When I say good I mean a news channel that provides timely good analysis on current events. The content on PTV and Indus news really are not the same caliber as the channels I mentioned above. Even folks on PDF link reports from DW or Al Jazeera but nothing from an english language Pakistani channel.

Its even more strange when you consider that Pakistan was a British colony and most educated Pakistanis speak english. And most oversees expats watch urdu news and channels on youtube....meaning their is a business case in addition to geopolitical concerns.
Indus News is good.
In order to get a NDTV/Aljazeera type channel, a lot of money is needed. It is not a one time investment. The viewership is also very limited, meaning adds are not available. Even Dawn had to change itself to an Urdu channel.

Indus News is good.
In order to get a NDTV/Aljazeera type channel, a lot of money is needed. It is not a one time investment. The viewership is also very limited, meaning adds are not available. Even Dawn had to change itself to an Urdu channel.

IMO there is no one watching NDTV except Indian. Even I just know there is NDTV channel out there. The only channel who can compete CNN and BBC is Al Jazeera. It is just sad that many Arab nations are now blocking Al Jazeera due to Al Jazeera influence in spreading democratization across Arab world.

Al Jazeera now has livenews on Youtube channel to fight the ban.

Promising English news channel.

As others have pointed out Indus News is one English language Pakistani channel existant right now.

I saw it once, a video on the protests, it looked really good but most of its related items were about indian politics, so I thought it is an Indian channel. Was shocked at first because of the accent which wasn't Indian.

It's a good channel though. I think it can pick up heights, we should promote it when referencing news and stuff.

Last edited:

Indus channel is available and is improving each year.
Maybr if you would watch news rather them coming on this forum then you might havve found out indus is a news channel

Their documentary are excellent

What Pakistan needs is educated Journalists and a public funded channel which specifically targets and bans all money from foreign states, private corporations, rich foreigners and rich locals. Get that done and see how things change. Pakistanis can't even get trustworthy and honest journalist, since a elite mafia and foreign countries fund our news channels. Where GEO is india's slave, Ary is funded by america and other channels by local rich political elements.

IMO there is no one watching NDTV except Indian. Even I just know there is NDTV channel out there. The only channel who can compete CNN and BBC is Al Jazeera. It is just sad that many Arab nations are now blocking Al Jazeera due to Al Jazeera influence in spreading democratization across Arab world.

Al Jazeera now has livenews on Youtube channel to fight the ban.

Promising English news channel.

Indonesia or Malaysia should too set up a international English channel - it would be great to hear about the SE Asian perspective more widely.

The Japanese NHK & South Korean one are out there, but their quality documentary/analysis is very limited.

Indonesia or Malaysia should too set up a international English channel - it would be great to hear about the SE Asian perspective more widely.

The Japanese NHK & South Korean one are out there, but their quality documentary/analysis is very limited.

I dont think Indonesian media companies have ever though about that. IMO They will not set up such kind of English channel even up until 2030 since doing thing like that need huge investment particularly in a form of subsidizing the channel for long period of time before it can reach profitable stage. Singapore has made one though with its CNA channel and they can do that since Singaporean himself speak and understand English.

South East Asian news IMO is already well covered by Al Jazeera which has put some journalist in the region.

Back
Top Bottom