What's new

Pakistan Navy will request for 6 Oliver Hazard Perry Class FFG from U.S

so far
6 ex-RN type-21 frigates
8 chinese type -22 frigates (under construction)
3 french mine-hunters
4 corvettes (?)

*6 ex-RN type 21 frigate will be decommissioned by 2020

PAKISTANI NAVY by 2020 - 2025
* 4 to 6 F-22P frigate will be in services
* 20 MRTP-33 fast attack boat
* 4 to 6 modified Turkish Milgem class corvette with TOT, 3 will be build locally.
* 4 to 6 German Meko A-200 frigate, Displacement: 3,500t
* 4 to 6 Pakistan-Turkish Joint frigate project (Modified version of TF2000 class frigate, Displacement: 4,500 - 5,500t) will cost around $500 million each, first will be build around 2021.
* 4 to 6 Chinese Type 052C Luyang-II Class Missile Destroyer
* 4 to 6 Visby Class Corvettes, Sweden Displacement: 600t or Turkish MRTP-70
* 4 to 6 U214s submarine
* 3 Agosta-class submarine

*6 ex-RN type 21 frigate will be decommissioned by 2020

PAKISTANI NAVY by 2020 - 2025
* 4 to 6 F-22P frigate will be in services
* 20 MRTP-33 fast attack boat
* 4 to 6 modified Turkish Milgem class corvette with TOT, 3 will be build locally.
* 4 to 6 German Meko A-200 frigate, Displacement: 3,500t
* 4 to 6 Pakistan-Turkish Joint frigate project (Modified version of TF2000 class frigate, Displacement: 4,500 - 5,500t) will cost around $500 million each, first will be build around 2021.
* 4 to 6 Chinese Type 052C Luyang-II Class Missile Destroyer
* 4 to 6 Visby Class Corvettes, Sweden Displacement: 600t or Turkish MRTP-70
* 4 to 6 U214s submarine
* 3 Agosta-class submarine

By 2020 the oldest Type 21 (Amazon/Babur) would be 51 years old and the youngest (Avenger / Tippu Sultan) 47 years old. Somehow, I don't think these ships will be made to last this long.

You are suggesting that by 11 years from now PN will have 24-36 major surface combattants (up from 6 today), complemented by 7-9 submarines (up from 5 today). That means 2-3 new surface ships per year every year for the coming 11 years. I don't see that happening, not even given the rate the F-22P appear to be coming online from China. Seriously. If only because I don't'think Germany and Sweden will be that forthcoming.
:coffee:

By 2020 the oldest Type 21 (Amazon/Babur) would be 51 years old and the youngest (Avenger / Tippu Sultan) 47 years old. Somehow, I don't think these ships will be made to last this long.

You are suggesting that by 11 years from now PN will have 24-36 major surface combattants (up from 6 today), complemented by 7-9 submarines (up from 5 today). That means 2-3 new surface ships per year every year for the coming 11 years. I don't see that happening, not even given the rate the F-22P appear to be coming online from China. Seriously. If only because I don't'think Germany and Sweden will be that forthcoming.
:coffee:

Pengiun,

Go back and re-read my post. I said PN should have these surface vessels between 2020 - 2025.

first of all ex-RN type 21 frigates will be replaced by F-22P (PNS Zulfiqar, PNS Shamsheer, PNS Saif), all four will build and commisioed by 2015. Pakistan Navy is getting ready to add up a refurbished US frigate, USS McInerney (FFG-8) in 2010, Pakista may also get few more OHP for stop gap purpose.

I am hoping that Pakistan and Turkey will sign the contract for Milgem class corvette (with TOT)a nd Modified version of TF2000 class frigate in 2009, first Milgem corvette will be build in Turkey around 2011, will be added to PN around 2012 after sea trails and rest will be build in Pakistan, project completion data between 2020. First TF2000 will be build between 2018-2021

20+ years old Oliver hazard perry class is a waste of money

we should go for the new one

Oh we should eh and who will provide the funds my bro? surly not u and me! and they are not a waste of money at all it is a good platform for a short period until we have more funds avalable and more options to look in to!!:tup:

Pengiun,

Go back and re-read my post. I said PN should have these surface vessels between 2020 - 2025.

first of all ex-RN type 21 frigates will be replaced by F-22P (PNS Zulfiqar, PNS Shamsheer, PNS Saif), all four will build and commisioed by 2015. Pakistan Navy is getting ready to add up a refurbished US frigate, USS McInerney (FFG-8) in 2010, Pakista may also get few more OHP for stop gap purpose.

I am hoping that Pakistan and Turkey will sign the contract for Milgem class corvette (with TOT)a nd Modified version of TF2000 class frigate in 2009, first Milgem corvette will be build in Turkey around 2011, will be added to PN around 2012 after sea trails and rest will be build in Pakistan, project completion data between 2020. First TF2000 will be build between 2018-2021

Even with another 5 years, that's a tall order with respect to expansion. Aside from the ships themselves, you'ld need to train a sufficient number of additional crew and expand basing facilities. Not saying it is impossible, but in my view improbable.

As per H Khan on PakDef, the PN is looking at a fleet of 14 frigates by 2019. Now he makes the issue pretty confusing on how this would occur, but for sure the fleet includes the 4 F-22P.

Beyond this he said that PN is hoping to replace the Type-21 by 2021 with a "new frigate design built in Pakistan". Then he adds that PN is hoping for the OHP, but if it cannot acquire those frigates, it will instead go for one of Type-054 or MEKO. Given that it wants to strengthen ties with Germany and possibly have it involved in the new-gen frigate program, he said PN may select MEKO. However it might in the end just go for 4 F-22P.

So in sum by 2019-2021.
  • 4 F-22P
  • 6 new-gen FFG
  • 4 OHP/used-FFG...or MEKO/Type-054...or F-22P
My guess is that PN might acquire MEKO D500 (link) and locally produce something similar to the Formidable Class at a range of 3000-3500 tonnes displacement. A very optimistic guess on my part, but who knows...

Last edited:
As per H Khan on PakDef, the PN is looking at a fleet of 14 frigates by 2019. Now he makes the issue pretty confusing on how this would occur, but for sure the fleet includes the 4 F-22P.

Beyond this he said that PN is hoping to replace the Type-21 by 2021 with a "new frigate design built in Pakistan". Then he adds that PN is hoping for the OHP, but if it cannot acquire those frigates, it will instead go for one of Type-054 or MEKO. Given that it wants to strengthen ties with Germany and possibly have it involved in the new-gen frigate program, he said PN may select MEKO. However it might in the end just go for 4 F-22P.

So in sum by 2019-2021.
  • 4 F-22P
  • 6 new-gen FFG
  • 4 OHP/used-FFG...or MEKO/Type-054...or F-22P
My guess is that PN might acquire MEKO D500 (link) and locally produce something similar to the Formidable Class at a range of 3000-3500 tonnes displacement. A very optimistic guess on my part, but who knows...

That's more like it.

Would it be correct to say "a new frigate design built in Pakistan" could be any of the following:
a) locally built, possibly modified, version of the 2500ton F-22P,
b) locally built version of 2000 ton Milgem,
c) some MEKO design [e.g. 1650ton A100, 2700ton MEKO CSL, 3500ton A200 or 3500ton Meko D variant (though not likely the 5000/6500tons MEKO D 500/600)] or
d) another chinese frigate design [e.g 4500ton Type 054A]

And you might end up with an all-F22P force.

I'm surprised PN does not seem to be interested in South Korean ships. They are in the proces of developing a new frigate (FFX)

Admiral Muhammad Afzal Tahir - Chief of the Naval Staff, Pakistan Navy

According to Janes the Pakistan Navy is expected to place a formal request to the U.S for six Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates to augment its surface fleet. These may replace the Type-21s and act as stop-gaps until new-built frigates and corvettes are commissioned. The weapons and systems on the PN FFG-7 have not yet been disclosed, but they could include the Mk 41 Vertical Launch System for the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) as well as Mk 32 torpedo tubes for Mk 46 Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) torpedoes.

According to Janes' IDEAS2004 interview with former Pakistan Navy Chief ex-Admiral Karimullah at least 4 additional new-built frigates will be acquired by the navy. The new frigate will be larger and superior to the F-22P; it will likely have a better air defence system and anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability; and use more advanced sensors, radar and electronics. Kanwa
recently reported that the Pakistan Navy has shown recent interest in the Chinese Type 054 frigate.

since our ex naval chief of staff have gone it has been 4 years to him but till now we did not saw any new development in pak navy only u 214 when does our navy open its eyes

According to Janes the Pakistan Navy is expected to place a formal request to the U.S for six Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates to augment its surface fleet. These may replace the Type-21s and act as stop-gaps until new-built frigates and corvettes are commissioned. The weapons and systems on the PN FFG-7 have not yet been disclosed, but they could include the Mk 41 Vertical Launch System for the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) as well as Mk 32 torpedo tubes for Mk 46 Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) torpedoes.

According to Janes' IDEAS2004 interview with former Pakistan Navy Chief ex-Admiral Karimullah at least 4 additional new-built frigates will be acquired by the navy. The new frigate will be larger and superior to the F-22P; it will likely have a better air defence system and anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability; and use more advanced sensors, radar and electronics. Kanwa
recently reported that the Pakistan Navy has shown recent interest in the Chinese Type 054 frigate.

since our ex naval chief of staff have gone it has been 4 years to him but till now we did not saw any new development in pak navy only u 214 when does our navy open its eyes

i will be very surprised if the OHPs land in PN colours. PN fleet enhancement program will come from China and Turkey. if the U214 program is signed, then the MEKO has a chance!

Yes iam hoping for the ohp as well atleast one is coming so far!!

That's more like it.

Would it be correct to say "a new frigate design built in Pakistan" could be any of the following:
a) locally built, possibly modified, version of the 2500ton F-22P,
b) locally built version of 2000 ton Milgem,
c) some MEKO design [e.g. 1650ton A100, 2700ton MEKO CSL, 3500ton A200 or 3500ton Meko D variant (though not likely the 5000/6500tons MEKO D 500/600)] or
d) another chinese frigate design [e.g 4500ton Type 054A]

And you might end up with an all-F22P force.

I'm surprised PN does not seem to be interested in South Korean ships. They are in the proces of developing a new frigate (FFX)
I asked him for details, and he did confirm that the PN has drawn a distinction between corvettes and frigates, and MILGEM is - as per PN - a corvette. He also said that the PN might just acquire another 4 F-22P, but this still leaves room for 6 "new frigates built in Pakistan". As for what these new-built frigates are, I do not know...but H Khan did say that PN is looking towards German and Turkish assistance in this area.

If I had to warrant a guess, I'd say the frigate to be built in Pakistan would be close to the South Korean FFX: 3200 tonnes displacement, stealthy/low-RCS design; high automation, etc. The key differences I think would be PN's focus on solid multi-mission capability as opposed to ROK's coastal focus on such a frigate. Hence the PN would probably have a VLS for a medium-range SAM and potentially ASROC. I think it is safe to say that the 3500 ton MEKO D could be an option.

This suggests replacement of 6 Type 21s one-for-one plus 4 additional hulls i.e. a fleet of 10 major surface combattants, doesn't it?

I asked him for details, and he did confirm that the PN has drawn a distinction between corvettes and frigates, and MILGEM is - as per PN - a corvette. He also said that the PN might just acquire another 4 F-22P, but this still leaves room for 6 "new frigates built in Pakistan". As for what these new-built frigates are, I do not know...but H Khan did say that PN is looking towards German and Turkish assistance in this area.

If I had to warrant a guess, I'd say the frigate to be built in Pakistan would be close to the South Korean FFX: 3200 tonnes displacement, stealthy/low-RCS design; high automation, etc. The key differences I think would be PN's focus on solid multi-mission capability as opposed to ROK's coastal focus on such a frigate. Hence the PN would probably have a VLS for a medium-range SAM and potentially ASROC. I think it is safe to say that the 3500 ton MEKO D could be an option.

So, in related to the number of major surface ships, corvettes would be in addition to the earlier number of 14 frigates? Or are they part of that number?

Back
Top Bottom