What's new

Pakistan Navy will request for 6 Oliver Hazard Perry Class FFG from U.S

so far
6 ex-RN type-21 frigates
8 chinese type -22 frigates (under construction)
3 french mine-hunters
4 corvettes (?)

so far
6 ex-RN type-21 frigates
3 french mine-hunters
4 corvettes (?)

Well Fatman as far as I know the type 21 will be gone by the time the type 22 are all delivered and as for how many so far it is only 4 the other 4 could be something different they will be far more advanced and larger ship like the type 54's or something and also Pakistan will be introducing a few new corvettes too so lets wait and see what happens:cheers:

so far
6 ex-RN type-21 frigates
3 french mine-hunters
4 corvettes (?)

Yeah the F22's is incorrect, only 4 of them.
6 OHP's (to replace the type 21's in the short term)
4 Corvettes
And potentially 4 other frigates possibly MEKO's (with the U214 deal) or Type 54

Gung-HO!
i am all for it
i will run this by my brother-in-law who is a serving Capt in the PN. lets see what he says.
stay tuned.

20+ years old Oliver hazard perry class is a waste of money

we should go for the new one

Chinese Type 054 class Frigates with the displacement of 4,000 to 4,500 tonnes, French FREMM multipurpose class frigates with the displacement of 5,600 tonnes, French Horizon class frigates with the displacement of 6,600 tons, French Formidable class frigates with the displacemnt of 3200 tonnes are the better options as compare to oliver hazard perry class

*stab in the heart* But the context you said it would was wrong, I think PN will still procure new-built frigates above the 3000 ton displacement range.:)

You both are right, PN are looking to buy seconhd hand ships most likely US OHP frigates, but i am of the strong belief that the PN will look to acquire n ew build frigates as well. The Type 21 are over due for replacment and the OHP are essentially i think a short term solution. There are reports that PN are interest in the Meko D frigate, if the U214 sub deals goes through then there is no reason except funding for the PN to acquire them. The PN also has well established ties with the French so if roumours come true then the PN may go for FREMM frigate in the future.

They will do just fine for now to fill the gap until funds are there for the new goodies iam all for it!!

20+ years old Oliver hazard perry class is a waste of money

we should go for the new one

Not really, since these would be obtained via Foreign Military Assistance program (i.e. 'free'). Besides, the Perry is an excellent ASW platform. It's air defenses need work though and some anti-ship capability would be nice (present OHPs had their Mk13 launcher removed, which eliminaties the ability to fire Harpoon and SM-1)

Not really, since these would be obtained via Foreign Military Assistance program (i.e. 'free'). Besides, the Perry is an excellent ASW platform. It's air defenses need work though and some anti-ship capability would be nice (present OHPs had their Mk13 launcher removed, which eliminaties the ability to fire Harpoon and SM-1)

It is a waste of money. Although it will come under what ever assistance program, however it will come stripped of from its sensors and equipment and alot and i mean alot will have to be spent inorder to make is usable for the PN, not at all a cost effective solution for a budget constraint navy.

before pakistan they offered these ships to turkey and some other countries.all of them rejected.

we need to rebuild our navy in any means necesary our navy always kept low priority now it seems our govt worring about our navy to indian navy has 52 ships and 16 subs as compare to pak 12 old ships and 6 subs in which 3 are old any way we need to buy more ships speciallly anti aircarft role and some of them would be foe anti ship and anti sub role as we also know that india signed a deal with usa to get state of the art P8 ORION to destroy our submarines we need 2 to 3 anti aircarft frigayes equipeed with long range sea sparrow anti aircraft missile systems and anti aircraft gun oliver class of frigates are very good for both anti ship and anti aircraft role and i heared that pakistan will get long range anti ship cruise missle from china which will counter large indian surface fleet so pakistan get a chance to destroy them first even before they get close to pakistani waters good developments please conmfirm it i also read it in asian defence news that long range missle system is called C602 long range anti ship cruise missile read the article

Pakistan Navy have purchased 120 C-602 long range anti-ship cruise missiles from china to counter the threat posed to the surface fleet of Pakistan navy by the Proliferation of Russian supersonic AntiShip missiles P-800 Oniks / Yakhont / PJ-10 Brahmos (Indian assembled version of Yakhont). Long range of the C-602 AntiShip missile will make sure that Pakistan Navy have first shoot advantage in case of an encounter with the Indian ships equipped with Russian Yakhont AntiShip missiles.

The C-602 long-range subsonic anti-ship cruise missile is developed by the CASIC 3rd Academy. The C-602 outperforms most Western and Russian anti-ship missiles in terms of range and warhead mass. The YJ-62 was first offered for export by the China National Precision Machinery Import and Export Corporation (CPMIEC) during the Defense Systems & Equipment International (DSEI) Land and Naval Systems Exhibition in September 2005. The missile is fitted with a strap-down inertial guidance coupled with GPS, and active radar for the terminal phase. CPMIEC claims that the C-602 is fitted with a frequency agile radar seeker which offers greater resistance to jamming from targeted ship. The active radar seeker has an acquisition range of up to 40km.

The C-602 is a conventional cruise missile design, with mid-body wings that deploy following launch. The fixed ventral air inlet is mounted slightly forward of the cruciform tail fins. The missile is 6.1 meters long (without the 0.9 meter-long launch booster), and weighs 1,140kg. The solid propellant booster weighs an additional 210kg. The C-602 has a cruise speed of Mach 0.6, carries a 300kg HE blast warhead, is powered by a small turbojet, and has a stated range of 280km, with the missile flying at an altitude of 30 meters during the cruise phase of an engagement. In the terminal phase, the missile descends to a height of seven meters, and it can be launched from truck-mounted launchers, from warships as well as from medium multi-role combat aircraft.C-602 anti-ship missile employs a cylinder-shape launcher.

It is a waste of money. Although it will come under what ever assistance program, however it will come stripped of from its sensors and equipment and alot and i mean alot will have to be spent inorder to make is usable for the PN, not at all a cost effective solution for a budget constraint navy.

I don't know where you get this but AFAIK this simply need not be the case, particularly not if the transfer would be 'hot ship' transfer of relatively recently decommed ships (much like how India got the Austin LPD, and Egypt their Perry's) rather than a cold ship transfer (a ship reactivation: the oldest ships of the class that are left may have been mothballed for years e.g. last couple of Perry offered to Turkey, which were rejected). See, for example, the OHPs that went to Turkey, Bahrein, Poland and Egypt.

U.S. Arms Transfers to Turkey, 1992 to Present
Transferred to Turkey:
3/16/2000 1 FFG-19 Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate (USS John A Moore) FMS $27,056,600
12/6/1999 1 FFG-21 Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate (USS Flatley) FMS $42,932,400
11/16/1998 Three FFG-7 PERRY class frigates and eight currently leased FF 1052 KNOX class frigates, also ammunition and support. FMS $205,000,000
11/16/1998 3 Perry-Class Frigates EDA $89,309,400
7/24/1997 Two "Perry"-class frigates and 75 STANDARD missiles EDA free
5/24/1995 Guided missile frigates Clifton Sprague (FFG-16), Antrim (FFG-20) and Flatley (FFG-21) EDA free

FMS = government-negotiated Foreign Military Sales (FMS) agreements,
EDA = Excess Defense Article (reduced price or free)

On average, it appears that Turkey paid around $30 million for a used Perry (if it payed at all)

Back
Top Bottom