What's new

Pakistan Navy P-3C Orion Thread

Yes. But in light of the OBL incident, further transfer of such tech to Pakistan will be under stricter Congress scrutiny (read next to impossible) as the common citizen in US is questioning the rationale for providing Pakistan with cutting edge technology when it was in fact Pakistan which apparently had been hiding OBL for seven years and that too adjacent to its prestigious military academy. No one on street in US or for that matter anywhere else will accept that ISI/PA Int Corps was not aware of his presence in a proximity to such an institute which was by default a target for any militant attack in backdrop of the 'active' role played by Pakistan as an ally of US in GWoT.

My friend The State, and the Pentagon has already stated that there is no evidence that the GOP or senior leadership knew that OBL was in Abbottabad and that is on record. Yes the US Congress will make a hue and cry (I am sure some quite diplomacy by our friends in the east must also be adding fuel to the fire and why no? I would do the same thing if given the chance).

The bottom line is that US wants to withdraw and wrap up its war mission and scale it down to a security station and move on. This can not be done with out a broad based government in Afghanistan. To form one, Pakhtun leadership needs to be inducted in large enough number to enusre legitamacy of Afghan Govt. in South Eastern Afghanistan. For this they need the influence of GOP on certain groups to ensure success with this plan.

On top of this, US wants to remain engaged in the region due to China and the continuing probability of terrorism spill over to the mainland US & Europe and American interests in other parts othe world. The more destabalised Pakistan the bigger the headache for US. Hence, the Aid will continue and mission objectives will be met or atleast they will try. Failure for Obama is not an option specially when he can have a second term in office.

My 2C Worth.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Even if US provides the two air crafts.. There will still remains some gap between now and the time when the two aircraft will be delivered.

Two more were scheduled to be delivered this year or early next.

I do not know Santro. But if I was incharge of policy at US State and Pentagon, I would certainly do so as it would sent a strong signal to both the Terrs. and the Pakistani people that US stands by them in their hour of need. But than that is me.

I doubt such will happen in last 10 yrs over 70% of US aid Pakistan(20 Billion dollars) has been given to Pakistan armed forces...but a very common sentiment in Pakistan remains.."that US only provides money to Pakistan's corrupt politicians only ".

Yes. But in light of the OBL incident, further transfer of such tech to Pakistan will be under stricter Congress scrutiny (read next to impossible) as the common citizen in US is questioning the rationale for providing Pakistan with cutting edge technology when it was in fact Pakistan which apparently had been hiding OBL for seven years and that too adjacent to its prestigious military academy. No one on street in US or for that matter anywhere else will accept that ISI/PA Int Corps was not aware of his presence in a proximity to such an institute which was by default a target for any militant attack in backdrop of the 'active' role played by Pakistan as an ally of US in GWoT.

US still to prove that OBL was there and they killed him. By the way Pakistan is the only country to have sacrificed the lives of thousands of soldiers in war on terrorism and daily our innocent people are being killed by the so-called Taliban (God knows who these Talibans are in reality.......Americans or Indians). the rcent attack on Naval base seems done by the same so-called Talibans.

After the loss of Osama, who is going to be teaching the counter-counter terrorism courses at PMA Kakul is the more potent question....lol jk

funny_pictures_your_cat_is_not_really_interested_in_what_you_are_saying-41c80915d1ff8618f94cb0ff1eaf4525.jpg

I doubt such will happen in last 10 yrs over 70% of US aid Pakistan(20 Billion dollars) has been given to Pakistan armed forces...but a very common sentiment in Pakistan remains.."that US only provides money to Pakistan's corrupt politicians only ".

There is an element of vested interests in our media the same type as found in many more countries. US for some reason, has had bad track record in sending career diplomats to Pakistan. I am not just talking obout the Ambassadors or CJ's. The mid to lower ranking cadre assigned to Pakistan untill very recently were junior career diplomats in State Department, hence seasoned diplomats avoided this hardship post -- quality input from field became a casualty.

As a result, projection of US and any good that they have done is not coordinated in a usefull manner. Furthermore, their understnading of the ground situation due to lack of seasoned station officers hampers their ability to engage key opinion makers at various levels.

This failure is acknowledged at the state deprtment where untill very recently the lead role for Pakistan was with Richard Hollbrooke who was reporting on in country affairs of Paksitan on a parallel reporting to the President. The State was practically sidelined.

After Richard Hollbrooke, State has started taking the lead role and it reflects in the increasing engagement by the in-country state department team with GOP and opinion makers as a whole.

There are other valid reasons for the general perception that the biggest enemy of Pakistan is US .... one is our misrepresentation of the facts right from 1958 till now and the other -- not owning up to our mistakes.

A large part of that money is reimbursement for the losses incurred by Pakistan. Seeing we are a much smaller country with a weakened economy, the US agreed to compensate for the losses.
So the over 70% statement is untrue.

common man is USA also think Elvis is alive and Canadians live in igloos

The more destabalised Pakistan the bigger the headache for US. Hence, the Aid will continue and mission objectives will be met or atleast they will try. Failure for Obama is not an option specially when he can have a second term in office

Actually the more destabilised Pakistan remains, the more advantageous it is to both US and India. Especially India. As you recall, the planned pull out by US was not taken too well in South Block. Thats because as long as US-NATO remain in Afghanistan, the major focus of the fundamentalists remains there thus keeping the pressure off India. And the more US applies pressure on Pakistan, the more it acts against these elements which are using Pakistani territory as launch pads and hence the more they are engaged by Pakistani Security Forces which keeps pressure off us in Kashmir. Suits us just fine.

For US too, the fight remains in Afghanistan-Pakistan border region and not in US homeland.

US still to prove that OBL was there and they killed him. By the way Pakistan is the only country to have sacrificed the lives of thousands of soldiers in war on terrorism and daily our innocent people are being killed by the so-called Taliban (God knows who these Talibans are in reality.......Americans or Indians). the rcent attack on Naval base seems done by the same so-called Talibans.

prove to whom? actually your whole post is a waste of bandwidth if you can not back up your claim of talibs being US/Indians and not just fundamentalists

well there are still Orion aircrafts that are to be delivered. .

the media talks about one Orion totally destroyed, another one damaged. Will the ''damaged'' one be repaired (i dont know the extent of the damage)? Can it be salvaged for parts and cannibalization?

I don't know much about Chinese naval aviation --especially as far as anti-submarine and naval reccon is concerned. What equivalents do they have? We shouldnt just blindly go back to US and ask for replacements. We should analyze all options on the table. Whatever losses there were must be filled in, in order to keep a credible balance and deterrant over the enemy.

Here is the latest news about P-3C:

May 22/10:

Pakistani Taliban/al-Qaeda guerrillas armed with automatic weapons and RPGs infiltrate Pakistan Naval Station Mehran, setting off a 15 hour battle. Casualties of the small-group raid include both of the upgraded P-3Cs delivered to Pakistan thus far, which are left as smoking wrecks.

Pakistan will reportedly ask the USA to replace the 2 lost aircraft, but after discovering Osama Bin Laden sheltered in Pakistan, and listening to Pakistan take huge steps toward becoming a Chinese client, the mood in America isn’t exactly receptive. To that, add 2 more significant concerns, created by the attack itself.

One is that Pakistani officials add that 11 Chinese engineers were at the base, and escaped unharmed. It isn’t clear what they were doing there, and their proximity to modernized American sea control aircraft could well become another friction point between the USA and Pakistan. The second issue is that Pakistan’s inability to secure Mehran, and difficulty in recovering control, leads to even more disturbing questions about the safety of its nuclear weapons. Nor is the idea of such attacks far fetched. Bradford University’s Prof. Shaun Gregory says that those facilities have been attacked at least 3 times in the past 5 years, at Wah, Sargodha, and Kamra.

Pakistan’s P-3 Orion Maritime Aircraft - and their Harpoons

Back
Top Bottom