What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Coming to a Naval Station soon
IMG_20200610_080906.jpeg
IMG_20200610_080902.jpeg
IMG_20200610_080851.jpeg

The PAF was the most daring, but right now, the PN is ahead.

1. The PN broke out of its comfort zone and selected a clean-sheet design from Turkey, and then opted for design training from Turkey and learn how to build a frigate without OEM KoMs. It'll own the rights to this frigate, so it can build them on its own without OEM support.

Due respect to the PAF on the JF-17, but you look back at it you see that they went with a stable, lightweight fighter design rather than co-fund the larger, high-risk J-10. Not only that, but the end result of the JF-17 has largely been that of a Chinese fighter with limited customization on our end.

It's as if we bought a Chinese jet off-the-shelf, and are co-producing it in Pakistan. Proof? What radar do the Block-I, Block-II and now Block-III use? Chinese. What BVRAAM? Chinese. What AShM? Chinese.

In 1999, the thought the PAF planners had at that time was to have full rights and capacity to customizing this fighter, and we even began to talk with South Africa on this front (to co-develop munitions). But instead, later PAF planners regressed in this vision, and went with whatever China had, even for their 'own' fighter.

It can be due to a lack of capacity on our end to absorb the full technology. So, why not build that capacity? Why did national funds go into buying the one Block-52+ squadron ($1.5 billion!) instead of enough R&D so that we can configure the JF-17 to our will as well as develop our own munitions for it? What happened?

The PAF might have had the vision initially, but it went into old, comfortable thinking later on.

The PN, in contrast, went with a ship design that's barely in service (MILGEM), then got it customized with VLS (a subsystem it never had), then asked for the design rights so it can arm it to its own will. So, that's why the PN is able to talk about putting a Chinese SAM along with Pakistani AShM/LACM to the MILGEM.

Where's PAF? Chinese KLJ-7A? Chinese PL-15? Not even a pilot project to co-develop an HMD/S with someone, I bet they're waiting for a Chinese solution there too. Nothing wrong with it, but definitely not daring.

2. The PN opted for a 'J-10-moment' by taking on its own jet-powered LRMPA project. To even integrate hardpoints and weapons on a passenger jet needs serious capacity, which Pakistan doesn't have. So, the PN is either going out on a limb and working with a partner who does have it, or it's building that capacity in Pakistan.

You can talk to the PAF right now, they'd never do this unless they absolutely had no other option (i.e., no Chinese option). The PN could've waited or picked-up a workable Chinese option, but they opted to go the route of their own original solution (albeit with an undisclosed partner).

It's still a high-risk project, but again, the PN will likely go a step further and customize it with the subsystems and weapons of its choice. I wouldn't put it past the PN to try fitting the Ra'ad II ALCM to this LRMPA.

3. The PN's tried taking it even a step further with an in-house miniature SSK project, which opens them up to a whole other ball game, i.e., submarine design, testing, etc.
I think Project Azm is what is right now the biggest gamble of PAF. PN has pleasantly come a long way and I guess as you have said, PN was making all the right moves leaving PAF behind. Now that PAF is going to put all its bet on Project Azm as far as their future is concerned, we will just have to wait and pray all goes well.

From my POV, a Pakistani built Jinnah Class would be an equal to the initial JF-17 development. So, PN is still behind the PAF as PAF achieved that milestone almost 2 decades ago. While PN is still to achieve this.

Now, talking about sub-systems of the JF-17, the PAF and PN are in the same boat - both don't have meaningful local subsystem development so most of their systems will come from abroad. So, they are even on that score. Overall because of the first point, PAF has the lead. PAF 1 PN 0

61st POP of Pak Marines held at PNS QASIM, Khi. COMCOAST, V/ Adm Faisal Rasul Lodhi was Chief Guest. COMCOAST congratulated passing out batch of 444 Marines. The CG highlighted that POP is 1st milestone of the career to defend the motherland. Ali Hassan declared as Best Mar/ UT. https://t.co/parAc6vjIK

16x VLS, AESA Radar, Integrated Mast, Genesis Combat Management System. Its almost a Frigate. https://t.co/HLZfMMpWBB
View attachment 640321

Endurance is also a factor which will be more than standard Turkish Ada plus tonnage should also be greater so it is frigate size remember f-22p are max tonnage 3000 but in normal it’s less let’s see how much it’s went up but more room for additional week of supplies and fuel etc means more weight

very refreshing to see the navy getting its share

historically the army has consumed so much of our defence budget rest goes to the Air Force

and finally now the Navy is getting its fair share

however I still think we are short and we should invest more in the navy

in all 3 arms, sub-surface, surface and naval aviation

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom