What's new

Pakistan Navy Frigates & Destroyers Information pool

The case of OHP is interesting one , as its size would have certainly made it stand out with Pakistan Navy specially with the stuff we are making locally in Pakistan

However , its sad that we never recieved 4-5 OHP when we requested them and that was the end of things

Or if the final approaval never materialized etc

Now all focus is on Turkish Frigate/Corvette option and F22P or larger vessels

Looks like f22 is carrying 4 launchers for c-802a and 3 launchers rounded for a different version of land attack ??? /anti ship missiles, looks like launchers on 4th Azmat class FAC, unless its my vision and impression is wrong

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/pakistan-military-multimedia.30020/page-409#ixzz4XT9SraPy

image-jpeg.372820

Karachi%20steel%20cutting%205%20Jan.jpg
Neh. The front F22P just misses a single canister. The rear has 2x4 of the same missile

Neh. The front F22P just misses a single canister. The rear has 2x4 of the same missile

Not all ships may be upgraded but looks like rounded launcher but I may be wrong and it could be square shaped 4 shot launcher missing one or it could be round shape heavier cj10 type Missile launcher or some local version any way a cleaner pic will help in answering the question

The case of OHP is interesting one , as its size would have certainly made it stand out with Pakistan Navy specially with the stuff we are making locally in Pakistan

However , its sad that we never recieved 4-5 OHP when we requested them and that was the end of things

Or if the final approaval never materialized etc

Now all focus is on Turkish Frigate/Corvette option and F22P or larger vessels

As unlikely as they are to appear in PN, there are 3 Adelaides in service (Australian OHPs) which will be retiring in the next 3-4 years and one the was retired amd awaiting either scuttling or being turned into a museum. I would strongly advise PN to acquire these (3-4) ships. All have 8 cell mk41 and the mk13 arms still attached. Pu them through the GENESIS Upgrade with new ASELSAN SMART S MK2 radars ect. Acquire CAMM or KSAAM (from S Korea) for quad-packing in mk41 amd inthese vessels the Mk13 could carry up to 40 Harpoon AShM (mk13 has a 40 missile magazine which was usually a mix of Sm1-mr and harpoon... Since PN cant get SM1, equip 40 harpoon.

Then get VLS and same SAM for Alamghir and GENESIS upgrade and you have 4-5 ships of which the Adelaides carry far better and more firepower than any ship in IN.

As unlikely as they are to appear in PN, there are 3 Adelaides in service (Australian OHPs) which will be retiring in the next 3-4 years and one the was retired amd awaiting either scuttling or being turned into a museum. I would strongly advise PN to acquire these (3-4) ships. All have 8 cell mk41 and the mk13 arms still attached. Pu them through the GENESIS Upgrade with new ASELSAN SMART S MK2 radars ect. Acquire CAMM or KSAAM (from S Korea) for quad-packing in mk41 amd inthese vessels the Mk13 could carry up to 40 Harpoon AShM (mk13 has a 40 missile magazine which was usually a mix of Sm1-mr and harpoon... Since PN cant get SM1, equip 40 harpoon.

Then get VLS and same SAM for Alamghir and GENESIS upgrade and you have 4-5 ships of which the Adelaides carry far better and more firepower than any ship in IN.
It'll be unlikely. The U.S. is shaky in how it intends to treat Pakistan and that may translate into a lack of access to U.S. arms, be it directly or indirectly (from third-parties). But the PN needs to phase the remaining Type 21s out. I think pursuing some retired or retiring Type 053s from China could be a good idea, especially since their is some commonality with the F-22P. These can serve as a stopgap as new-built frigates are manufactured.

That said, pursuing the K-SAAM from South Korea for the new frigates is a pretty good idea. This is a Korean-Russian program, so on the surface Seoul shouldn't have much trouble exporting it. Ideally, we'll get to see the NORINCO DK-10 and others (e.g. Umkhonto EIR or R and Hisar-O) materialize by then too.

Not all ships may be upgraded but looks like rounded launcher but I may be wrong and it could be square shaped 4 shot launcher missing one or it could be round shape heavier cj10 type Missile launcher or some local version any way a cleaner pic will help in answering the question
I made a cut out and enlarged on both ships. IMHO all are the normal square canisters for C-802.

SM1 is out of production. The only remaining version of the Standard missile 1 in service is the RIM-66E (SM-1MR Block VI). While no longer in service with the USN, the RIM-66E is still in service with many navies globally and is expected to remain in service until 2020. These current non-US users either have domestic/used OHPs [e.g. Poland, Egypt, Taiwan, Spain] or have Mk13 equipped domestic ships [e.g. France, Italy]). So, in any case, you'ld be looking at RIM-66C/D Standard SM-2MR. Which is unlikely to be had by Pakistan in the current situation

I would agree with Mk41 + an IIRH or ARH missile (like CAMM). If relations with US preclude this, a Sylver A43 or K-VLS could be a good alternative. Possible a Chinese VLS with quad packed SD-10. Primarily because this improves firepower without the need for much more than installation of a new 3D search rader to replace the old US 2D radar.

The supersonic Standard missiles, being semi-active radar homing, can also be used against surface targets. This gave the Mk13 with 32 SM1 and 8 Harpoon great sustained anti-surface fire power. However, I doubt a 40 Harpoon load out for the Mk13 would be the most usefull (there's a fairly large change of the ships being put out of action before they can use up all these AShM in action). Plus, you'ld be stuck with 1 Perry that doesn't have. For a moment I thought, possibly, the Mk13 could fire ASROC, which could improve the ASW potential of the ships. However, the Mk 13 GMLS is not able to fire this weapon, as the launcher rail is too short (http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/VIDEOS/Asroc_Weapon_System.html). But in all cases, this is US weaponry. And I don't see, if US refuses to deliver Standard missile of whatever kind, why they would deliver such numbers of Harpoon or other missiles.

Another option would be to remove the Mk13 arm and used that space for e.g. a 24-round FL-3000N. If you build a small deck house right over the Mk13 base, it would be feasible. With a bit of luck, Harpoons could fit as on PNS Alamgir. If Harpoon can then not be mounted forward, it could be put atop the superstructure, just like on Taiwanese ships.

The Taiwanese ships are interesting due to having 2 additional 40mm cannon and AShM atop the superstructure.
post-32885-0-73600700-1338940048.jpg

The Australian modernized Adelaide class is interesting due to SM2 and Mk41/ESSM
maxresdefault.jpg

The Turkish G-class are interesting due to modenization of the CMS and use of Smart-S Mk2 (the Mk41/ESSM aside, since this first done by Australia)
JS61991361.jpg

Some US ships sport an additional weapons platform forward, over the Mk13 base
gary.jpg

PNS Alamgir is interesting due to forward mounted Harpoons
DSC_0634.jpg

5647574239356.jpg

Last edited:
I made a cut out and enlarged on both ships. IMHO all are the normal square canisters for C-802.

SM1 is out of production. The only remaining version of the Standard missile 1 in service is the RIM-66E (SM-1MR Block VI). While no longer in service with the USN, the RIM-66E is still in service with many navies globally and is expected to remain in service until 2020. These current non-US users either have domestic/used OHPs [e.g. Poland, Egypt, Taiwan, Spain] or have Mk13 equipped domestic ships [e.g. France, Italy]). So, in any case, you'ld be looking at RIM-66C/D Standard SM-2MR. Which is unlikely to be had by Pakistan in the current situation

I would agree with Mk41 + an IIRH or ARH missile (like CAMM). If relations with US preclude this, a Sylver A43 or K-VLS could be a good alternative. Possible a Chinese VLS with quad packed SD-10. Primarily because this improves firepower without the need for much more than installation of a new 3D search rader to replace the old US 2D radar.

The supersonic Standard missiles, being semi-active radar homing, can also be used against surface targets. This gave the Mk13 with 32 SM1 and 8 Harpoon great sustained anti-surface fire power. However, I doubt a 40 Harpoon load out for the Mk13 would be the most usefull (there's a fairly large change of the ships being put out of action before they can use up all these AShM in action). Plus, you'ld be stuck with 1 Perry that doesn't have. For a moment I thought, possibly, the Mk13 could fire ASROC, which could improve the ASW potential of the ships. However, the Mk 13 GMLS is not able to fire this weapon, as the launcher rail is too short (http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/VIDEOS/Asroc_Weapon_System.html). But in all cases, this is US weaponry. And I don't see, if US refuses to deliver Standard missile of whatever kind, why they would deliver such numbers of Harpoon or other missiles.

Another option would be to remove the Mk13 arm and used that space for e.g. a 24-round FL-3000N. If you build a small deck house right over the Mk13 base, it would be feasible. With a bit of luck, Harpoons could fit as on PNS Alamgir. If Harpoon can then not be mounted forward, it could be put atop the superstructure, just like on Taiwanese ships.

The Taiwanese ships are interesting due to having 2 additional 40mm cannon and AShM atop the superstructure.

The Australian modernized Adelaide class is interesting due to SM2 and Mk41/ESSM
maxresdefault.jpg

The Turkish G-class are interesting due to modenization of the CMS and use of Smart-S Mk2 (the Mk41/ESSM aside, since this first done by Australia)
JS61991361.jpg

gary.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

5647574239356.jpg
I feel PNS Alamgir has more space to carry offensive hw. What do you say?

maxresdefault.jpg

JS61991361.jpg

gary.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

5647574239356.jpg

@Penguin, i think you misunderstand my point, i dont think Pakistan will ever be able to get SM-1 of any type. However the Mk13 is used for BOTH Harpoon and SM-1. The Adelaides could use the Mk13 for Harpoon only. That allows for 40 AShM and their 8 cell VLS allows for 32 quad-packable SAMs (CAMM or KSAAM). For Alamghir you would need A43 or a different VLS system with MRSAM But i like the idea of using the superstructure to fit an extra 8 AShM on Alamghir (wouldn't be needed for Adelaides as the Mk13 can hold 40 Harpoons)

@Penguin, i think you misunderstand my point, i dont think Pakistan will ever be able to get SM-1 of any type. However the Mk13 is used for BOTH Harpoon and SM-1. The Adelaides could use the Mk13 for Harpoon only. That allows for 40 AShM and their 8 cell VLS allows for 32 quad-packable SAMs (CAMM or KSAAM). For Alamghir you would need A43 or a different VLS system with MRSAM But i like the idea of using the superstructure to fit an extra 8 AShM on Alamghir (wouldn't be needed for Adelaides as the Mk13 can hold 40 Harpoons)
No, I didn't misunderstand. I doubt US would provide any kind of Standard missiles, whether SM1MR or SM21MR. Technically you could shove 40 Harpoon in a Mk13, yes. But if that was your plan and you get 3 ex Australian ships, you need to acquire 120 Harpoons at least for just one load. I doubt the US, if they knew that was the intent, would agree to supply that number of additional Harpoons. Also, I doubt fitting 40 antiship missiles to these ships is usefull, particularly if not the long-range Harpoon version currently being developed: present Harpoon range is far less than e.g. Brahmos in some flight profiles and e.g. some C-802 family missiles. When I talk about A43 Sylver, I mean as alternative to Mk41, on Alamgir or on any other ship.

How many Sea Kings we bought recently ? 7-8

• 2 to be used on 2 Dutch OPV
  • 2 to be used on 2 Swift Corvettes from USA
  • 4 to be used on Milgem corvettes
Seems like just about right what we are getting

Back
Top Bottom