What's new

Pakistan Navy capable of blocking Strait of Hormuz?

Now Gwadar & Ormara bases can easily send a couple of corvettes or a submarine just 100 miles to do the job.
Couple of Corvettes or a submarine for a blockade? Are you serious?

100 miles? From Ormara the distance is 300 NM to completely cover the entire gulf of Oman. From Gwadar it is more than 200 Nm.
The size and area is so big that assets required to cover it, is beyond the current capability of PN and PAF.

One way distance to Strait of Hormuz is more than 350 NMs from Gwadar and 470 Nm from Ormara. It is beyond the reach of current PAF assets. It is not about one mission but sustained effort over a certain period which is beyond current PAF capability.

To be able to operate at these ranges, the support required is beyond PN too.
I don’t see PN or PAF having that capability for atleast next decade.

I have a few questions
1. Is this blockade selective and only against ships bound to india, if yes then how will PN differentiate which ship is bound to india and which is not.

2. Why do you think the gulf (specially the saudis) will stay silent and let PN block billions worth of its cargo bound to india.

3. India as of now has enough oil reserves to last atleast 2 months, can PN maintain a blockade for 2 months.

4. Since India is one of the biggest oil importers in the world, a halt in supply to india will cause oil prices to shoot up so why do think the world (specially US, China etc) will not pressure PN to end this blockade as it will be affecting them too, do you think pakistan is diplomatically strong enough to resist this diplomatic pressure for 2 months.

5. Top 5 oil exporters to india in 2021 were iraq, saudi, uae, usa nigeria 3 of which export oil to us through the suez canal and the gulf of aden how will the PN block that, (how will pakistan block russian oil coming to india through the strait of malacca) even if PN blocks the strait of hormuz, india can mostly sit back and relax because we dont even trade that much from there, We trade through suez and red sea.

6. How will PN enforce this blockade and protect its coast at the same time given its relatively small size in comparison to the IN, also lets not forget that IN operates some of the best anti submarine warfare aircrafts which can effectively counter pakistani submarines (did i mention that india has military access of omani airbases and ports) and pakistani surface vessels stand nowhere in comparison to IN surface vessels most of which can fire bramhos and are protected by barak 8 (Remember, its the same SAM Azerbaijan used to shoot down a mach 5 iskander).

7. How will pakistan react on being militarily challenged by india to end the blockade, will it use tactical nuclear bombs if it starts loosing (mind you india has limited anti ballistic missile capability and has stated to use its full nuclear might if it is hit by a nuclear bomb).

8. IAF (with its 260 sukhois, 36 rafales and 70 mig 29s) is more than competent to engage and keep PAF distracted long enough for IN surface vessels to attack pakistani coastal cities and bases.

WITH ALL THINGS CONSIDERED THIS THOUGHT OF BLOCKING STRAIT OF HORMUZ IS NOTHING MORE THAN A BRAINFART. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Couple of Corvettes or a submarine for a blockade? Are you serious?

I don't understand why indians are being so insecure and unrealistic to admit this. How many ships you really need to detect & stop oil tankers ? Even a single submarine is too much for this job or a single missile corvette. Couple of PAF Fighters armed with Anti-ship missile aircrafts can deliver the strong message as well. All they have to do is destroy one indian bound ship and that's about it.

Be realistic, its a WAR. Everything will be done to destroy you. There is NO WAY PN or PAF will let pass the oil supplies right in front of them. Gwadar is at the mouth of Strait of Hormuz.

Here is the map. Look for yourself, throw your bias out of your mind (if you can). There WILL be NO supplies going out of here for India. Period.

map_gwadar.jpg

PN may acquire the cost effective STM-500, AIP powerered mini subs with heavy torpedoes, with TOT to deploy in numbers to do the job...

I have a few questions
1. Is this blockade selective and only against ships bound to india, if yes then how will PN differentiate which ship is bound to india and which is not.

2. Why do you think the gulf (specially the saudis) will stay silent and let PN block billions worth of its cargo bound to india.

3. India as of now has enough oil reserves to last atleast 2 months, can PN maintain a blockade for 2 months.

4. Since India is one of the biggest oil importers in the world, a halt in supply to india will cause oil prices to shoot up and why do think the world (specially US, China etc) will not pressure PN to end this blockade, do you think pakistan is diplomatically strong enough to resist this diplomatic pressure for 2 months.

5. Top 5 oil exporters to india in 2021 were iraq, saudi, uae, usa nigeria 3 of which export oil to us through the suez canal and the gulf of aden how will the PN block that, (how will pakistan block russian oil coming to india through the strait of malacca) even if PN blocks the strait of hormuz, india can mostly sit back and relax because we dont even trade that much from there, We trade through suez and red sea.

6. How will PN enforce this blockade and protect its coast at the same time given its relatively small size in comparison to the IN, also lets not forget that IN operates some of the best anti submarine warfare aircrafts which can effectively counter pakistani submarines (did i mention that india has military access of omani airbases and ports) and pakistani surface vessels stand nowhere in comparison to IN surface vessels most of which can fire bramhos and are protected by barak 8 (Remember, its the same SAM Azerbaijan used to shoot down a mach 5 iskander).

7. How will pakistan react on being militarily challenged by india to end the blockade, will it use tactical nuclear bombs if they starts loosing (mind you india has limited anti ballistic missile technology and has stated to use its full nuclear might if it is hit by a nuclear bomb).

8. IAF (with its 260 sukhois, 36 rafales and 70 mig 29s) is more than competent to engage and keep PAF distracted long enough for IN surface vessels to attack pakistani coastal cities and bases.

WITH ALL THINGS CONSIDERED THIS THOUGHT OF BLOCKING STRAIT OF HORMUZ IS NOTHING MORE THAN A BRAINFART. 😂😂😂
What could the IAF do on 02-27 that they would be different now?

How many ships you really need to detect & stop oil tankers ?
To detect and identify India bound tankers. Not just any tankers.
Work out the math yourself.

Gwadar is at the mouth that is 200 Nms or 360 Kms wide. A ship sailing at 20 knots would need 10 hours to reach the other end from Gwadar. While it is just sailing and not stopping to investigate a ship. If it is in the middle it would still have 5 hours of sea on either side. Just to sail.
Unless PN has acquired Superman Corvettes.
All they have to do is destroy one indian bound ship and that's about it.
How to identify that is something you haven’t spelled out yet. Unless you think that no one would question Pakistan trying to destroy all oil tankers.

If you think that is feasible then please say so. Because there is no argument against that logic.

PN may acquire the cost effective STM-500, AIP powerered mini subs with heavy torpedoes, with TOT to deploy in numbers to do the job...

What could the IAF do on 02-27 that they would be different now?
I thought we were talking about current capabilities, not future

Sheer numberical difference would beg to differ, IAF doesn't even need to go for a fight, it only needs to keep PAF busy by constant non engaging incursions which will give IN enough time to carry out its operations.
Anyways what about my other questions.

LET ME REPEAT MYSELF THIS THOUGHT OF BLOCKING STRAIT OF HORMUZ IS NOTHING MORE THAN A BRAINFART. 😂😂😂

To detect and identify India bound tankers. Not just any tankers.
Work out the math yourself.

Gwadar is at the mouth that is 200 Nms or 360 Kms wide. A ship sailing at 20 knots would need 10 hours to reach the other end from Gwadar. While it is just sailing and not stopping to investigate a ship. If it is in the middle it would still have 5 hours of sea on either side. Just to sail.
Unless PN has acquired Superman Corvettes.

How to identify that is something you haven’t spelled out yet. Unless you think that no one would question Pakistan trying to destroy all oil tankers.

If you think that is feasible then please say so. Because there is no argument against that logic.

Knew you guys won't throw out usual bias. The whole itinerary of oil tankers, cargo ships is already available. Even if india somehow conceals that information even then detecting huge oil tankers for a modern corvette aided by drones is not a difficult job, Once detected you can find out whether its indian or not.

You mentioned 5 hours of sail on either side, Don't you think you are going too far to prove ridiculous theories just to somehow emphasize your point that nothing will happen to indian bound ships from this route ? Do you think corvettes will sail around switching off their entire suite of sensors and won't get any help from drones or helis ?. FFS! Navies are trained to fight stealthy enemy warships and you are expecting me to believe that a modern corvette will struggle finding indian oil tanker LMAO!..

There is no concept of oil passing through strait of Hormuz for India if the fullscale war breaks out. Forget Pakistan navy, Even Pakistan maritime Agency has 25 odd corvettes that can do the job. Remember, its not about capability, its about intent. The intent will be absolute in full scale war. For a small skirmish or a event like in 2019 then nothing of this sort would happen, but these type of things happen when you are fighting to destroy each other at full extent.

There is no concept of oil passing through strait of Hormuz for India if the fullscale war breaks out. Forget Pakistan navy, Even Pakistan maritime Agency has 25 odd corvettes that can do the job.
Good luck with your theory.

Pakistan is the South Asian version of Egypt. The corrupt westernized elite rules the country and ensures it stays subservient to the regional enemy because uncle Sam throws money at this elite to keep everyone else down.

Are sure you're not describing India? Because that's exactly what India is as well. Only the poverty is several times higher.

In any case, I'd rather Pakistan become like Egypt than Bangladesh.🙏

Less poverty. Much lower population density. Less pollution. More secular. Well, even there I can accredit Bangladesh for being less radicalized than Pakistan.

As for the rest. No by any means.

Are sure you're not describing India? Because that's exactly what India is as well. Only the poverty is several times higher.

In any case, I'd rather Pakistan become like Egypt than Bangladesh.🙏

Less poverty. Much lower population density. Less pollution. More secular. Well, even there I can accredit Bangladesh for being less radicalized than Pakistan.

As for the rest. No by any means.
no, I’m describing Pakistan. At least the d0theads do not overthrow their popular government for outsiders, they don’t allow outsiders to come and bomb their own people and cities. They don’t allow infiltration of their military by outsiders. You guys need to stop projecting on the Indians. I don’t like them much but I deeply hate hypocrisy and lack of self awareness amongst some of our Pakistani members . We have no right to talk when the begheirets running banana republic will sell their sisters and mothers to kiss the as$ of the Goras. I saw with my own the deep moral corruption entrenched within ISB, how Pakistan has been sold.

Back
Top Bottom