What's new

Pakistan must not give India MFN status

Are u kidding me...there are many Fortuners,pulsar,TVS apaches,TATA nano's,Jaguar...

I think u haaven't seen them in pakistan..

It's all left to u,don't flame on me...
And i'm also in favor of pakistan not giving MFN status to India..:yahoo:
i hope they never give:cheers:

FYI... when Indians were using Ambassadors we were using Chevrolet, Opel, Mercedes, Ford, while Japanese entered market by only selling cars to Pakistanis.

Don't fool us with concept car pictures.
Not a single Indian is using those cars. If you have one than give one to your President, first.

Don't try to gauge us with your little scales.

I prefer to buy Chinese made any day.....
http://www.byd.com/

byd-f3dm-610b.jpg

Hello everybody..
@BATman i think ur a fan of chinese car,
But u should look chinese crash test on youtube..
There are many on youtube..u can check them
Best of luck with China cars...:wave:
Maybe u haven't seen those cars in pakistan roads so for u it seems they r concept cars,it will be concept car for u all ur life..:rofl:
:smokin:

Hello everybody..

Clever guy. :rolleyes:

Even in a thread about India/Pakistan MFN trade status, you guys still manage to bring up some China-bashing.

Hello everybody..
Best of luck with China cars...:wave:
Maybe u haven't seen those cars in pakistan roads so for u it seems they r concept cars,it will be concept car for u all ur life..:rofl:
:smokin:

Before getting roasted open the weblink, i gave in my post.

i think you missed the list of car names, which were running in Pakistan streets when Ambassador was a wonder for Indians.

BTW... Chinese own Hummer more than you own Landrover.
:china:

Does MFN matters for india....i dont think so.even without MFN india prevails all over pakistan.go to any market you'll find made in india there.But then hardly you will find made in pakistan in india only coz of restricted items on the list.Its for the pakistan which loses 1.2 billion indian market .

This is true in last 3 years Pakistan market is flooded with Indian products, movies, cables and even manufacturers advertise on PTV for the smuggled goods.

This is amazing country, which has just raised taxes to raise revenues but failed to check duty free import of Indian goods.

Pakistan never be able to sell gold in India at the price of iron, thanks to their text books and daily media poison dose.

Pakistan already has an MFN status in India and as mentioned in a previous thread some specialty pakistani products are actually quite popular in india.
Cynicism wouldn't help you guys, pragmatism will.

This is true in last 3 years Pakistan market is flooded with Indian products, movies, cables and even manufacturers advertise on PTV for the smuggled goods.

This is amazing country, which has just raised taxes to raise revenues but failed to check duty free import of Indian goods.

Pakistan never be able to sell gold in India at the price of iron, thanks to their text books and daily media poison dose.

Lets not talk about "propaganda" shall we? When was the last time an Indian wrote some cr@p about Pakistanis dumping their shoddy products in our country?
With all the negative publicity you guys get from world media , you think the our school next books will be the reason to create an opinion about Pakistan?

Dude, economies of scale is dependent on quantity but only theoretically, practically its quantity + quality.

dont u think a rising middle class in india wud care bout basic quality need. if u are sure that pakistani rice is of better quality the it shud be an advantage for u by opening up markets. coz then it wud be a head to head competition between both rice and better quality will win.

Also, an open free market wud increase the no of sellers from both sides. so economies of scale will hold true for both indian and pakistani vendors......

plz analyse !

Thanks !

I was actually thinking of manufacturing and engineering capabilty. Pakistan will never develop these capabilities if we get flooded with cheaper products from China or India.

And it is not easy for a newcomer to break into the market unless they have established a reputation elsewhere. Established Chinese, Japanese and Korean companies can compete with Indian cars/bikes/buses, not a Pakistani startup.

No wonder you signed a free trade agreement with China :rolleyes:

That was not a good idea, either. Trade should be like (non-love) marriage; you marry 'up'.

In the case of trade, you want to trade with countries where your goods will be competitive, either because of quality or price, or both.

That was not a good idea, either. Trade should be like (non-love) marriage; you marry 'up'.

In the case of trade, you want to trade with countries where your goods will be competitive, either because of quality or price, or both.

Most major economies have put protectionist measures into place, in order to protect their own domestic industries (according to the World Bank at least). This is especially true after the credit crunch, and applies to both developing and developed countries.

I don't think anyone would begrudge Pakistan for putting more protectionist measures into place for certain industries.

Most major economies have put protectionist measures into place, in order to protect their own domestic industries (according to the World Bank at least). This is especially true after the credit crunch, and applies to both developing and developed countries.

I don't think anyone would begrudge Pakistan for putting more protectionist measures into place for certain industries.

And there is always the sneaky way of using government subsidies to help local industries get an advantage over imports.

Honestly what does pakistan export other than

Terrorism
Counterfeit Indian Rupees
Propaganda
& Mangos :rolleyes:

Honestly if you don't know anything about our country, I suggest you shut up and fix the mess that your country had made of itself

Dude, how can you forget your ex-girlfriend? :lol:

New Delhi: India has expressed the hope that the Pakistan Government implements the recommendations of the Panel of Economists appointed by the Pakistani Planning Commission, to give MFN status to India and shift from a positive list of imports to a negative list regime to achieve a five-fold increase in bilateral trade from US$ 2 billion to US$ 10 billion.

This expectation came today from Ms. Nirupama Rao, India’s Foreign Secretary, while inaugurating the FICCI Conference on India-Pakistan Economic Relations: Prospects & Challenges.

The Foreign Secretary assured business leaders from Pakistan and India of her country’s commitment to facilitating greater economic cooperation and integration between India and Pakistan and the South Asia region. She said, “India has maintained a ‘sensitive list’ of around 850 tariff lines for all the non-LDC Member of SAFTA, including Pakistan. Trade under these items is allowed under MFN basis. Over the years, our tariff rates have come down to the levels prevailing globally”.

Ms. Rao said that to improve infrastructure and streamline and harmonise customs procedures at the land borders, the Government of India was setting up a modern integrated check post at the India-Pakistan border at Attari for trade facilitation. This is expected to be ready by April 2011. Arguing for the opening up of more rail and road routes and expanding the existing capacities on operational routes, the Foreign Secretary said, “As things stand, Pakistan allows only the import of about 110 items from India through the land route, while it allows the export of only one item, cement, to India by the road route”. Pakistan should permit all permissible items for trade via the Attari-Wagah route, she declared.

On its part, India, she said, was open to looking at the existing bilateral visa agreement signed in 1974 to facilitate travel by bonafide businessmen from both countries. Regarding the oft-repeated complaint about non-tariff barriers imposed by India on exports from Pakistan, Ms. Rao clarified that during all the multilateral trade talks under SAFTA, India’s consistent position has been that it welcomes the growth of exports from Pakistan to India.

“We would request that instead of raising issues related to NTBs in a generalized manner, it would be more useful if specific instances can be brought to our notice, which are found to be specifically discriminatory for Pakistani exports to India. Most non-tariff issues raised by Pakistan are linked with phyto-sanitary measures, and other domestic regulations of consumer protection. There is no discrimination against Pakistani exports because the same standards are being applied for imports from any other country,” she pointed out.

Ms. Rao said that India and Pakistan have complementarities in their economies which can create a ‘win-win’ for all sides. India’s fast growing economy and a large market should be seen as an opportunity by Pakistani business and industry. India could also be a reliable and cost effective source of investments, tested technology, raw materials and entrepreneurial skills for Pakistan. Likewise, Indian could draw upon the strength of the Pakistan economy. The Foreign Secretary listed out areas of mutually beneficial cooperation in sectors such as agriculture, food processing, energy, Small & Medium Enterprises, Information Technology, social & economic infrastructure. “Opportunities for cooperation are plentiful; we only have tom seize them, by rising above our political differences, for the welfare of our two people,” she said.

Mr. Sultan Chawla, President, Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI), in his remarks, noted that there was huge scope for growth of trade between the two sides. He called for removal of NTBs by India and facilitation of movement of people across borders. To start with there was a need for increasing the traffic frequency by road, rail and air, increase in customs check posts, allowing bank branches to be opened in both countries and trade facilitation. While agreeing as fair the grant of MFN status to India by Pakistan, Mr. Chawla called upon India to lower the tariffs on goods of interest to Pakistan. In the longer term, he said there would be need to cooperate on regular cross-border investment flows and encouragement to FDI in each other’s country.

Mr. Rajan Bharti Mittal, President, FICCI, stated that the fulcrum of India-Pakistan relations should be business-to-business and people-to-people contacts. For this, restrictions on the issuance of visas needed to be eased and traffic from the Wagah border increased. Mr. Vikramjit Singh Sahney, Senior Vice President, SAARC Chamber of Commerce and Industry, noted that the business community of both India and Pakistan realize that by more open and free trade, the economies of both nations would reap huge gains. “We are confident that a move would be mutually beneficial since our economies have a lot of complementarities, as we are natural partners of trade”.

Mr. S M Muneer, President, India-Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, pointed out that greater economic cooperation between the two countries could provide mutual economic benefits, such as lower prices for the consumers, the much needed revenue for the governments and cost effective gas import to India via Pakistan. Most importantly, it could generate a new linkage between the two business communities, thereby nurturing constituencies for peace in the region, he said.

The inaugural session of the conference was also addressed by Mr. Tariq Sayeed, Immediate Past President, SAARC Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Mr. Siegfried Herzog, Regional Director-South Asia, Friedrich Naumann Foundation.

The manufacturing costs in the EU and US are much higher than Pakistan, giving us a trade advantage. The same is not true with India. In fact it's worse, since Indians companies enjoy economies of scale.

Free trade with India would ruin Pakistani industries.

Moreover, it would stifle any chance of developing our own capabilities if the market is flooded with inexpensive Indian products.

DUH!!!! and FTA with China is because they have higher cost of production there and and they have no economies of scale ... hence ....FTA is absolutely valid as Chine has no cheap goods to flood Pakistan and kill the local Industry......

Man ... i'll have to go through my Economics101 paper all over again.

:coffee:

I was actually thinking of manufacturing and engineering capabilty. Pakistan will never develop these capabilities if we get flooded with cheaper products from China or India.

And it is not easy for a newcomer to break into the market unless they have established a reputation elsewhere. Established Chinese, Japanese and Korean companies can compete with Indian cars/bikes/buses, not a Pakistani startup.

Monopoly doesn't get you anywhere. For 20 years we drove rickety ambassadors and premier padmini. Only after market was opened Indian companies worked hard facing competition from established foreign brands. They shed off the rust and came out as front runner.

But also, some protection is needed from govt for native companies. Let them face the chin music but don't forget to arm them as well.

Back
Top Bottom