What's new

Pakistan is expected to order its JF-17 Block-III in 2017.

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PAKISTAN EXPECTED TO ORDER ITS JF-17 BLOCK-IIIS IN 2017

http://quwa.org/2017/02/03/pakistan-expected-order-jf-17-block-iiis-2017/

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is expected to place its formal order for 50 JF-17 Block-IIIs from the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) in the first half of 2017, reports Alan Warnes (on Asian Military Review).

These are part of the initial allotment of 150 JF-17s the PAF committed to when it signed onto the program in 1999. Currently, the PAF has more than 70 JF-17s in service, with PAC crossing 30 JF-17 Block-IIs by 2017 and on-track to rolling out another 14 single-seat Block-IIs in 2017.

Three two-seater JF-17Bs will also be built, of which two will be assigned to the PAF. Alan Warnes learned that these JF-17Bs will be used in “testing and development” for accelerating weapons integration.

Air Marshal Arshad Malik, the Chairman of PAC, was also enthusiastic about the JF-17’s export prospects, noting that PAC’s production output could be increased to “cope with future exports.”

Currently, 3 and 16 JF-17s are on order by Nigeria and Myanmar, respectively. Azerbaijan is reportedly re-interested in the JF-17, while Myanmar is reportedly in talks for additional fighters.

Regarding the JF-17 Block-III, Warnes noted that the Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technologies (NRIET) KLJ-7A and a Leonardo radar (possibly Vixen 1000) are viewed as the leading options for the Block-III’s active electronically-scanned array (AESA) radar requirement.

Notes & Comments:

Based on the wording of the article, it appears that JF-17 Block-III production is scheduled to begin shortly after the conclusion of the PAF’s Block-II run.

While the AESA radar bid has narrowed to the KLJ-7A and a Leonardo system, the issues of helmet-mounted display and sight (HMD/S) systems, new electronic warfare and electronic countermeasures, and new munitions are still open. However, seeing that the Block-III program will be put into motion this year, there may be industry traction in each of these issues through 2017.

It also appears, though unconfirmed, that once currently set exports are completed, PAC will only produce Block-IIIs (for export and domestic use alike). In fact, Alan Warnes stated that PAC will “not halt” JF-17 production between Block-II and Block-III, meaning, prospective export customers from late 2017 or early 2018 will see the JF-17 Block-III.

I was about to post that here :D but you beat me to it ..
I have my doubts on the timeline, we have 70 JF-17 right now, 50 block 1, and 20 block 2's ..
and as per article 14 more to follow in 2017, so we are still short of ....16 block 2's to complete Hundred mark , so 2018 will be completion of block 2's 50 Fighters .. than comes the block 3 so its like 2019 ..

We have total of 83 JFT produced till date. 17 more to deliver this year appx. And then the final assembly of bulk 3 will start next year. That means that the contract for 50 more bulk 3 should be signed very soon if not already done. Blk 4 will be a 2 seater. My estimation is that paf will buy appx 40 of them

My estimate is that JFT program will end by 2021/ 2022 with appx 200 JFT for PAF.

Last edited:
There is one key info that has not yet been made public and that is the possible HMD that may be used in BLK 3 if any has been chosen!

Rolling Thunder

http://asianmilitaryreview.com/2017/...source=twitter

This year is going to be massive for the JF-17/B Thunder fighter. The Sino-Pakistan aircraft, which is being built by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), should achieve more milestones in 2017.

The first flight of a dual-seat JF-17B, is expected to take place by the end of the second quarter. Air Marshal (AM) Arshad Malik, the PAC’s chairman, told asianmilitaryreview.com: “These are very exciting times for an aircraft which will help to shape the future of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).” AM Malik continued that 2016 had been a very busy year, which saw the projected delivery of 16 aircraft to the PAF, being completed by the end of the year.

In 2017, PAC will build 14 single-seater JF-17s to complete the 50 aircraft ordered in JF-17 Block-2 status, the production of which commenced in December 2013: “We can increase our output even further to cope with future exports,” AM Malik added. On the export front, the Nigerian media recently announced that the Nigerian Air Force had ordered three JF-17s, but no further details are known.

Initially, three JF-17Bs will be built, two of which will equip the PAF. Having a two-seater in the testing and development programme, will speed up the integration of more weapons according to the CATIC (China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation) which offers the aircraft in its portfolio. At the same time, it will allow potential customers to actually experience the aircraft, rather than rely on a simulator.

Meanwhile a contract for 50 JF-17 Block-3s is expected to be signed in the first half of this year, which will ensure production does not halt when all the JF-17 Block-2 aircraft are completed. The most advanced version of the Thunder will include new avionics, better electronic warfare systems, increased payload and more sophisticated weapons.

The Block-3 variant will be the ultimate JF-17 with an AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) X-band (8.5-10.68 gigahertz) radar replacing the older Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technologies’ (NRIET) KLJ-7 X-band fire control radar equipping legacy versions of the aircraft. Two possibilities exist for the JF-17 Block-3, including NRIET’s enhanced KLJ-7A while Leonardo is also believed to have approached the PAF with an undisclosed, proposed solution. There is a possibility, if such a requirement is there, that the legacy JF-17 Block-1/2 aircraft flown by the PAF could be upgraded to the Block-3 standard.

I was about to post that here :D but you beat me to it ..
I have my doubts on the timeline, we have 70 JF-17 right now, 50 block 1, and 20 block 2's ..
and as per article 14 more to follow in 2017, so we are still short of ....16 block 2's to complete Hundred mark , so 2018 will be completion of block 2's 50 Fighters .. than comes the block 3 so its like 2019 ..
We have total of 83 JFT produced till date. 17 more to deliver this year appx. And then the final assembly of bulk 3 will start next year. That means that the contract for 50 more bulk 3 should be signed very soon if not already done. Blk 4 will be a 2 seater. My estimation is that paf will buy appx 40 of them

My estimate is that JFT program will end by 2021/ 2022 with appx 200 JFT for PAF.
We if blk_III is ready for production than PAF should immediately order the latest block instead of waiting for remaining blk-II JFTs because ultimately all JFT blk-II have to be upgraded to blk_III standards ...what do you say @MastanKhan

We if blk_III is ready for production than PAF should immediately order the latest block instead of waiting for remaining blk-II JFTs because ultimately all JFT blk-II have to be upgraded to blk_III standards ...what do you say @MastanKhan

Hi,

The BLK2 numbers are a necessity at this time---because the BLK 3 will have to go thru the periods of integration and we still need aircraft to fill in the hole---.

As the BLK2's will be later on upgraded to the EW standards of the BLK3---so it would not effect the balance.

Hi,

The BLK2 numbers are a necessity at this time---because the BLK 3 will have to go thru the periods of integration and we still need aircraft to fill in the hole---.

As the BLK2's will be later on upgraded to the EW standards of the BLK3---so it would not effect the balance.
That's a valid point but I'm wondering how much extra time would it take for integration of the systems on blk-III if they have already been integrated with blk-I/II since the mechanical and aerodynamic configurations are mainly the same across the blocks, the only difference will be in the avionics and making the weapons to talk to the new avionics especially the AESA radar and EW / ECM and IRST.

That's a valid point but I'm wondering how much extra time would it take for integration of the systems on blk-III if they have already been integrated with blk-I/II since the mechanical and aerodynamic configurations are mainly the same across the blocks, the only difference will be in the avionics and making the weapons to talk to the new avionics especially the AESA radar and EW / ECM and IRST.

Hi,

I would say that another 5---8 years for the minimum---maybe 10 years---.

With the new EW suite aesa---you will see the new source of power---you will have to learn and know what it is---then you will have to learn how to operate and then manipulate it---train on it---change the game plans---.

The thing is---with aesa---JHMCS---off bore sight missiles---you will have to learn to use new parameters of combat and dis-engagement.

Hi,

I would say that another 5---8 years for the minimum---maybe 10 years---.

With the new EW suite aesa---you will see the new source of power---you will have to learn and know what it is---then you will have to learn how to operate and then manipulate it---train on it---change the game plans---.

The thing is---with aesa---JHMCS---off bore sight missiles---you will have to learn to use new parameters of combat and dis-engagement.
Sir,
I would put around 3-4 years and I'm not being time optimistic...that's because PAF has gained sufficient experience and all blocks , as per my info, use the same data-bus.

Last edited:
Blk 4 will be a 2 seater. My estimation is that paf will buy appx 40 of them

both estimations are wrong and contradict with what PAC have Planned. and as per their Plans. there is nothing called JF-17 block 4. [for now]
and we have great chances of a "large" deal in coming years. so no. Production won't stop in 2021-22. maybe 2025.

Back
Top Bottom