What's new

Pakistan in talks for 4 Ada Class Corvettes, T-129 Helicopters & modernization of agosta fleet

gazwa-e-hind.gif

Last edited:
Strange remark.

The Pakistan navy and those corvettes have defend your coastlines

The enemy is the Indian navy so how can this not be relevant.

The question is a good one

Can these corvettes defend your coastline from that huge threat in the vedio.

It's not off-topic
indian navy has 11 destroyers, 14 frigates, 13 subs( most going retrofit) and around 24 FAC/small corvetes. i am not going to count amphibious, support axillary crafts for massive Indian shoreline or AC carrier, they dont matter.

to deter this threat we would need a good airforce, decent coastal antiship batteries, powerful surveillance to augment these, along with strong submarine force

we probably would benefit from 1/5 th of surface fleet as that size of our shore is smaller

may be 10-12 frigates, 7-8 subs and 10-12 small corvettes/FAC against current indian force of (11+14 frigates/destroyers & 24 corvettes)

indian projected under construction ships till 2030 (super best case scenario)are
1. Destroyers:
4 destroyers (2 planned and 2 under construction)(current force 11, among them rajput class will be 50 years old by 2030)
2. Frigates:
4 talwar class under planned construction and 7 project 17 which are facing delays(Current strength 14, with 2 godavari class ship to be retired in next couple of years)
3. light Corvettes/FAC:
8 project 28 corvettes still in planning phase(24 in service)
4. Submarines:
6 scorpion class subs(by 2020-27) and 6 new under consideration(unlikely to be started before 2025, so none should come online before 2030)
current: 13 in service most are decades old, its been confirmed that Sindhughosh class will be partially replaced by scorpion i.e equal numbers will be retired(6 older will be retired), it has been plauged with issues (losing two subs in maintenance,1 in accident written off), this along with German ships which will be 50 years old mean that the size will not increase at all by 2030 and even beyond, infact analyst believable that number will fall less than 10)

bottom line indian navy strength is going to not change radically over next decade due to retirements unless india aggressively buy ships off the shelf. india is ever lossing it ground to PLAAN and this would become critical especially in sub department

pakistan requirements will be a stronger air force, and 10-12 frigates with 10-12 FAC/light corvettes to successfully deter any Indian aggression

the greater threat PN will have is air wing of IN so PAF needs more than 20 squadrons to cover PN

Last edited:
bottom line indian navy strength is going to not change radically over next decade due to retirements unless india aggressively buy ships off the shelf.

Much of these is wrong & borderline delusional, let me tell you how.

Before starting, let me add 1 X Indigenous aircraft carrier & 4 X LHD

4 destroyers (2 planned and 2 under construction)(current force 11

Actually the 5 Rajputs in service would be replaced by the 4 Vizags (upgraded version of 3 earlier Kolkata class). These are in as good as most European destroyers with area defense SAMs (Barak 8) & 16 Brahmos LACM/Anti Ship missile. Far more capable than Rajputs if I should make myself clear.

The older Delhi class will see upgrades with 16/32 Barak 8 SAMs, MF STAR radar, new CMS, Humsa NG Sonar & 8 Brahmos.

And the slipways at our 2 warship building yards will be free by 2022- IN is already designing future destroyers & they might definitely be ready before 2030.

7 project 17 which are facing delays

There are no delays-the first vessel will be delivered in 2022, with 6 in following 3 years. These are as good as many destroyers with 32 X Barak 8, MF-STAR & 8 X Brahmos ER/II. Shivalik class will see same upgrades as Delhi class may be not by early 2020s but definitely by late 2020s.

So you can expect in some 17 'destroyers'(by armament) by 2025 & over 20 by 2030.

Then there are 4 upcoming Talwar class, which would have 24 X VL-Stihls & 8 X Brahmos. Older 6 Talwars would be upgraded with the same weapons outfit.

Adding to that would be 7 X Next Generation Corvettes (actually light frigates) which would have better armament than F22P Zulfiqar class

So let me say, 20 'frigates' (again, by armament not the designation IN gives) ?

3. light Corvettes/FAC:
8 project 28 corvettes still in planning phase(24 in service)

Project 28 is the Kamorta class ASW corvettes, of which 2 are in service & 2 more will join by 2017-18.

In addition to that there will be 6X NGMVs (missile corvette) & 16 X much smaller ASW vessels.

Submarines

Add 6 Indigenous SSNs (2023-) + 1 Chakra + 1 Yasen. I'm not counting SSBNs.

6 scorpion class subs(by 2020-27)

Ahem, no. those will be inducted before 2020 & their manufacturer Mazagon Docks is pushing for ordering 3 more vessels.

6 new under consideration(unlikely to be started before 2025

I would love to know why you think so.

13 in service most are decades old, its been confirmed that Sindhughosh class will be partially replaced this along with German ships which will be 50 years old mean that the size will not increase at all by 2030 and even beyond, infact analyst believable that number will fall less than 10

This is what I said, borderline delusional. The Sindhughosh class (inducted 1986-2000) & (inducted 1986-94) have lives of 35 years. So that still means that numbers will increase, not decrease as the new ones come in.

Much of these is wrong & borderline delusional, let me tell you how.

Before starting, let me add 1 X Indigenous aircraft carrier & 4 X LHD

Actually the 5 Rajputs in service would be replaced by the 4 Vizags (upgraded version of 3 earlier Kolkata class). These are in as good as most European destroyers with area defense SAMs (Barak 8) & 16 Brahmos LACM/Anti Ship missile. Far more capable than Rajputs if I should make myself clear.

The older Delhi class will see upgrades with 16/32 Barak 8 SAMs, MF STAR radar, new CMS, Humsa NG Sonar & 8 Brahmos.

And the slipways at our 2 warship building yards will be free by 2022- IN is already designing future destroyers & they might definitely be ready before 2030.

There are no delays-the first vessel will be delivered in 2022, with 6 in following 3 years. These are as good as many destroyers with 32 X Barak 8, MF-STAR & 8 X Brahmos ER/II. Shivalik class will see same upgrades as Delhi class may be not by early 2020s but definitely by late 2020s.

So you can expect in some 17 'destroyers'(by armament) by 2025 & over 20 by 2030.

Then there are 4 upcoming Talwar class, which would have 24 X VL-Stihls & 8 X Brahmos. Older 6 Talwars would be upgraded with the same weapons outfit.

Adding to that would be 7 X Next Generation Corvettes (actually light frigates) which would have better armament than F22P Zulfiqar class

So let me say, 20 'frigates' (again, by armament not the designation IN gives) ?

Project 28 is the Kamorta class ASW corvettes, of which 2 are in service & 2 more will join by 2017-18.

In addition to that there will be 6X NGMVs (missile corvette) & 16 X much smaller ASW vessels.

Add 6 Indigenous SSNs (2023-) + 1 Chakra + 1 Yasen. I'm not counting SSBNs.

Ahem, no. those will be inducted before 2020 & their manufacturer Mazagon Docks is pushing for ordering 3 more vessels.

I would love to know why you think so.

This is what I said, borderline delusional. The Sindhughosh class (inducted 1986-2000) & (inducted 1986-94) have lives of 35 years. So that still means that numbers will increase, not decrease as the new ones come in.
you are over estimating numbers, i mean 6 SSNs, thats a stretch by an imaginations
and yup i wasnt counting SSBNs either
i am simply quoting your official status, there are delays on porject 17

even if you are right on every account, it still means that IN will be seriously short as compared to PLAAN
and PN would require a surface fleet of no more than around 12-14 large vessels to keep a decent force per its size area(which of course is less than projected 8 that we would have, due to failure in acquiring and upgrading the OHP class from USA)

you are over estimating numbers, i mean 6 SSNs, thats a stretch by an imaginations

8 SSNs, actually-6 indigenous + 2 Russian.

There are hardly any delays. Where did you hear that ? 7 ships will be built by 2022-2025.

it still means that IN will be seriously short as compared to PLAAN

PLAN have to deal with USN, JMSDF & ROKN in the SCS. They can't bring every platform to IOT- meanwhile we only need to concentrate on our own 'pond'. :)

and yup i wasnt counting SSBNs either

even if you are right on every account, it still means that IN will be seriously short as compared to PLAAN
and PN would require a surface fleet of no more than around 12-14 large vessels to keep a decent force per its size area(which of course is less than projected 8 that we would have, due to failure in acquiring and upgrading the OHP class from USA)

bg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom