What's new

Pakistan in talks for 4 Ada Class Corvettes, T-129 Helicopters & modernization of agosta fleet

Pakistan shouldn't go for this, we need better ships with good displacement so they can house Air defence, Govt should delay the program for few years or cut the numbers for now and buy in phases, but plz get worthy ships and not sitting ducks for IAF. i am all for type 54A or Istanbul class ..

Last edited:
With ly-80 production moving to Pakistan i hope we can make decent AAW ships available for our naval forces.

It was a US report which stated Ly 16 also involved transfer and assembly or something also reported on one of the newspaper hang/dawn etc but nothing from mod or pak

As the STM LF-2400 shows, it is possible to lengthen (by 10 metres) the MILGEM Ada hull to accommodate a 16-cell VLS system. There are also affordable SAM options, such as the Denel Umkhonto. It cost Algeria $60 m to fit its two MEKO A-200AN - i.e. 32 VLS cells each - with the Umkhonto SAM.

As the STM LF-2400 shows, it is possible to lengthen (by 10 metres) the MILGEM Ada hull to accommodate a 16-cell VLS system. There are also affordable SAM options, such as the Denel Umkhonto. It cost Algeria $60 m to fit its two MEKO A-200AN - i.e. 32 VLS cells each - with the Umkhonto SAM.

Does Denel have it's own VLS for the Umkhonto or they use any western VLS for Umkhonto. I thought Umkhonto was the missile using the French Sylver VLS.

Does Denel have it's own VLS for the Umkhonto or they use any western VLS for Umkhonto. I thought Umkhonto was the missile using the French Sylver VLS.
They had used SYLVER on the MEKO A200AN. I don't think Pakistan would have trouble acquiring the SYLVER VLS, especially SYLVER A43 and A50. But Denel has the expertise to develop its own VLS, it technically uses one in-house solution for the Umkhonto GBADS. It could just be a naval version of that system.

Last edited:
They had used SYLVER on the MEKO A200AN. I don't think Pakistan would have trouble acquiring the SYLVER VLS, especially SYLVER A43 and A50. But Denel has the expertise to develop its own VLS, it technically uses one in-house solution for the Umkhonto GBADS. It could just be a naval version of that system.
These VLS on Meko 200AN "El Radii" frigate do not look like SYLVER VLS at all.
Meko-A200ALG-5.jpg

Meko_A-200AN_Frigate_Algeria_Navy_TKMS_model_Euronaval_2014_2.JPG

I think they are the same Umkhonto specific VLS as on MEKO-200SAN Valour class
Umkhonto_5.JPG

The Umkhonto system uses modules with missiles in sealed launch canisters. The sealed container has a cylindrical shape. During start, reactive gases are reflected from the bottom of the container and go straight up between the walls of the container and the body of the rocket. Spent containers are removed and replaced with a loaded container. Reloading the launcher is made either along shore, or in a calm sea using an auxiliary vessel. High reliability is achieved through the built-in self-test hardware that provides the minimum cost of maintenance staff.

Navy_article008.jpg

Umkhonto_4.jpg
umkhonto3_0.jpg

For comparison: Sylver family VLS

sylver-vls-2.jpg

7868361196_e8c52cc179_b.jpg

11308620423_3e36616ab2_b.jpg

@ Penguin , do we know what ship its going to be ?

Back
Top Bottom