Status
Not open for further replies.

Jung

New Recruit

Reaction score
Pakistan ‘in’ South Asia
By Yaqoob Khan Bangash
Published: September 10, 2012
The writer is chairperson of the History Department at Forman Christian College Lahore
When I started research on my doctorate on the accession and integration of several princely states into Pakistan, my supervisor advised me to start by looking at the nature of princely rule in the states. Not knowing much about the states except a few general facts, at first, I simply assumed that they musthave a lot in common with other Muslim princely states in India. However, except for afew elements in Bahawalpur, I found that thePakistani states had a very different history and nature when compared with other states in South Asia. First, very few of them were ever part of any South Asian empire, except the British Indian Empire. Even Bahawalpur, the most eastern of states, owed allegiance to Kabul rather than to Delhi . On the other hand, the area of Kalat paid homage to the Mughal court only for a few decades in the 17 th century and had, since then, been closer to either Persia or Afghanistan. Secondly, their rulers were hardly ‘princes’ in the Indian sense of the word. There was no opulence that is usually associated with the Indian Nawabs and Maharajas, few grand palaces and buildings and no major patronage of music or art. These kingdoms were primarily tribal kingdoms where the ‘prince’ was in close touch with the people and to a large extent was not treated as a superior, set apart as a God-appointed person — as was evident in the Indian case. That said, the period of the British Raj was a transformative phase for these princely states as they were brought ina very close union with India, under whose influence these states modernised and developed. The Raj also imprinted an ‘Indian’ identity, however tentative, upon these statesas they willingly (Bahawalpur, for example) or unwillingly (Kalat) became part of the Indian discourse.
Since a large part of what is now Pakistan — most of Balochistan, Khairpur, Bahawalpur, Dir, Swat and Chitral — were princely states, the history and nature of these states has a bearing on the nature and identity of Pakistan. The fact that the princely states are a unique mixture of Central Asian, Persian, Afghan and Indian customs and traditions owes a lot to them lying on the main invasion routes to India, but also points towards their cosmopolitan culture — a strength which we rarely recognise these days.
Based on this rather mixed history of the region and the general yearning to be more ‘Muslim’, Pakistan embarked on an Islamic trajectory after independence. Contrary to general opinion, the Islamisation of Pakistan did not start with General Ziaul Haq but with the first prime minister of the country, Liaquat Ali Khan, when he decided that Pakistan should look more towards the Middle Eastern and Arab countries for inspiration. With that in mind, he changed the South Asian focus of the country, which had been patent in the region for over a century. This radical and uni-focus shift has left Pakistan confused and forlorn as neither has it been accepted in the Arab club, nor is it proud of its own heritage like Iran, while it has deliberately disengaged itself from its South Asian legacy. As a result, Pakistan has such a tenuous identity that it needs to be protected by the threat of criminal conviction.
The recent visa accord between India and Pakistan , I hope, is recognition of the South Asian heritage and linkages of Pakistan. While the actual results of the accord still remain to be seen, it is palpable that increased people-to-people contact will dramatically bring down barriers which havebeen erected for the past six decades and Pakistanis will now come to realise the other part of their identity. By all accounts, India is an emerging world power and we can learn and gain a lot from the country, especially in education, trade and technology. Our culturallinks with north India give us an edge, whichwe must utilise for the betterment of both countries.
Pakistan, indeed, stands at a confusing junction of several civilisations and ideas, butour strength is not in promoting one and rejecting others; our strength is certainly in bringing together the best of all traditions we are a part of — be it Islamic, Central Asianor Indian — to create a better world for our own people and the people around us.Pakistan

Cuz we are not Arab. We are successors of the Indus Valley Civilization (strongest muslim country on earth) and we dont have to prove ourselves to anybody

Some brilliant parts highlighted!

Pakistan ‘in’ South Asia
By Yaqoob Khan Bangash

The writer is chairperson of the History Department at Forman Christian College Lahore
also points towards their cosmopolitan culture — a strength which we rarely recognise these days.

Based on this rather mixed history of the region and the general yearning to be more ‘Muslim’, Pakistan embarked on an Islamic trajectory after independence.

This radical and uni-focus shift has left Pakistan confused and forlorn as neither has it been accepted in the Arab club, nor is it proud of its own heritage like Iran, while it has deliberately disengaged itself from its South Asian legacy. As a result, Pakistan has such a tenuous identity that it needs to be protected by the threat of criminal conviction.

The recent visa accord between India and Pakistan , I hope, is recognition of the South Asian heritage and linkages of Pakistan. While the actual results of the accord still remain to be seen, it is palpable that increased people-to-people contact will dramatically bring down barriers which havebeen erected for the past six decades and Pakistanis will now come to realise the other part of their identity. By all accounts, India is an emerging world power and we can learn and gain a lot from the country, especially in education, trade and technology. Our culturallinks with north India give us an edge, whichwe must utilise for the betterment of both countries.

Cuz we are not Arab. We are successors of the Indus Valley Civilization (strongest muslim country on earth) and we dont have to prove ourselves to anybody
Yes you are not arab. Unfortunately a good part of your population is confused about that.

No you are not successors of Indus Valley, you share the history of Indus Valley along with India. Unfortunately a good part of your population is also confused about this.

You are not even close to being the strongest Muslim country! Stop deluding yourself.

The author is mostly right except with the identity of Princely states identity.

Pakistanis are not Arab.

Pakistanis have a wide variety of ethnic mix into their gene pool which includes Arabs, Persians, Hindus, Central Asians, etc.

We are better than Arabs.
You are. But majority of your population is Indic. Unfortunately your people are not proud of its pre-Islamic heritage unlike Iran. Thus an identity crisis of sorts.
BTW you are definitely better than the Arabs ;)

After being treated so well by Arabs for for 55 years since 1947 pakistanis have realized what is true identity and started accepting as their IVC over last decade.Btw this foreign identity of Arabs etc was imposed by muslims of UP especially lucknow who went to pakistan in 1947 with their begums enforcing dress codes etc.

Why not to be all rounders , do in Roman as Romans do
In Arab follow Arab , With Iran be a good neighbor and show similarities with them , With Indians be like an Indian ( so much in common with Indians).
Why to be in one domain , why not to be multicolor society and get adjusted easily in globalization.

how can we be in Arab club...while we are in South Asia..To have strong friendly relations with Arabs and Muslim countries is part of our foreign policy.how can we be in Persia club,we are not persians,we have our own identity "Pakistan".

After being treated so well by Arabs for for 55 years since 1947 pakistanis have realized what is true identity and started accepting as their IVC over last decade.Btw this foreign identity of Arabs etc was imposed by muslims of UP especially lucknow who went to pakistan in 1947 with their begums enforcing dress codes etc.

Somehow i agree with you. But i dont think it started over last decade. I think it started in the last 5 years. Many Pakistani's are now questioning the official lines thrown at them and the established beliefs hitherto considered as gospel.

Why though? Why and how is this societal change happening?

Pakistanis should be proud of IVC, Gandhara, Meher, Raja Dahir, Ashokas, Guptas, Porus, Vedas, Mughals, Mohammad bin Qasim, delhi sultanates and all the people who ruled areas today covered by Pakistan. They should not be proud of what some arabs did or not did in other part of world.

I respect Iran a lot as they are proud of their Islamic as well as preIslamic heritage just like India. We are equally proud and greatful that mughals like akbar and shahajan or Mauya or Guptas are part of history of India.

Pakistan (from what I've gleened from this site)...does seem like a mixed-race child in the US...spurned by both blocs....but every now and then one does manage to span both worlds. (Obama?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom