What's new

Pakistan has 326m barrels in oil reserves, Senate informed

For the nth time; please understand that Thar coal is brown coal or Lignite, lowest grade of coal. If this could solve our energy problems, why do you think we import 2-million tons of coal every year to meet Steel and Cement Industry demand? And why are we wiling to invest in $7-billion IPI gas pipeline?

Thar coal needs huge investment and the result would only be good for use in power generation and not good enough to replace good quality bituminous coal or anthracite for use in cement and steel industries. We have quantity but not quality. Thar coal can help in meeting power shortage but will not solve Pakistan’s energy problem.

I guess I was paying more attention to the quantity of Thar coal and not the quality. Well 185 billion in Thar region is a huge amount, I'm sure Pakistan can make some good use out of it.

By the way, I agree with you that education should be given to every Pakistani...many people in Pakistan are very intelligent and hard working..they can bring the country ahead if they are given the opportunity. I hope people in Pakistan can conquer their dreams for their nation. I hope Pakistan becomes a successful and wealthy nation soon, Pakistanis have suffered enough throughout history its time the people of Pakistan now enjoy.

Hi All,

I have recently joined Pakistan Defense forum. The discussion on Oil reserves in Pakistan can be consider true by expecting more than 326 million barrels.

If you see the over all geographical structure of Pakistan we can expect Oil. Although is might not be comparatively huge like Gulf Countries but still it might be sufficient for Pakistan internal requirement.

I have read a comment mentioned Dubai, we have a misconception that the development of Dubai basis on the production of Oil. Dubai does not have any oil reserves.

But yes other Gulf countries implemented a strong strategies in order to take benefit of Oil production. As I am in Oman, and here it is expected 80-90 thousand barrels/day. Major Share Holder in Government have 60% and rest is belongs to International companies like BP and specially Shell which hold almost 38%.

What happen after implementing this strategy, is although major investment is from Government Side, which I heard they have taken Loan from World Bank but involving international companies brought quality of work and strong monitoring systems and with this that nationalist are getting profitable experience while working with International companies.

All above information is for sharing view, our government have to really look into this by bring experience guy's from similar field and specially with no corruption behavior ;)

We should not invite forigen companies to develop these assets as they will return us pennies on dollar. We need to make joint venture by contributing cash for expertise so we retain the maximum profit as well train local industries in the lurcative sector of mining and minerals. Dr Samar Mubarak accomplishment on coal gassification project are a sucess story by itself.

This reserve is minuscule compared to the reserves of our Arab neighbours who have billions of barrels of oil.

Sad thing is that most of this black gold has been sold to foreign countries to make a quick buck. :frown:

Pak oil reserves r average but coal reserves r impressive.At least those can solve ur power needs in short term.But for long term pak must switch to nuclear power and hydel power. I had read before that pak has great untapped hydel power generating potential

Back
Top Bottom