What's new

Pakistan grants India Most Favoured Nation trade status

India given MFN status under US pressure: Senators
Published: November 04, 2011

ISLAMABAD - Opposition benches in the Senate have strongly protested against giving Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India by the federal cabinet as well as the decision of two weekly offs by government.
Jamaat-i-Islami Senator Professor Khurshid Ahmad said according MFN status by cabinet to India runs counter to the desires of the people and this decision has been taken without taking parliament into confidence.
“We are not opposed to trade but national interest should be kept supreme in this regard. Our fiscal deficit will further grow owing to trade with India and India will be the main beneficiary in this way”, he cautioned. India has been declared MFN under US pressure, he charged.
Speaking on points of orders, members said two holidays a week were affecting the common man more while bureaucracy was enjoying them. In addition the economy was daily suffering losses of billions of rupees. Prof Khurshid said two holidays are against the interest of the country as it were causing Rs20 to 25 billion losses daily. He said the decision of two holidays was taken by the cabinet and it must bear the responsibility.
Speaking on a point of order ANP Senator Ilyas Bilour said that the house would like to know how much electricity was being saved from the decision. He said he had submitted an adjournment motion on two holidays but it has not been brought to the house. He said with the onset of winter, ACs and fans were not being used in offices and the two holidays were of no benefit to the country. He said the country was already in deep economic crisis and two holidays would further negatively impact it.
PML-Q Senator Wasim Sajjad said that in any country holidays are announced in line with traditions and economic conditions. He said two weekly offs are observed in those countries whose economy is vibrant. No holiday is observed on birth and death anniversaries of its national leaders in UK, for example. In Pakistan, only one holiday is being observed since independence and we cannot afford more holidays. The country cannot afford two weekly offs, he added. JUI-F Senator Azam Khan Swati said problems cannot be resolved through adhoc arrangements. He was of the view that people would have to come to the street to force the rulers to attend to their problems.
Opposition and treasury benches also voiced their strong protest against non-presence of ministers in the house. Senate Acting Vice Chairman Jan Muhammad Jamali adjourned the session for 10 minutes in protest against the absence of ministers.
Taking serious note on the issue, Senate presiding officer directed chief whip and leader of the house to ensure presence of ministers in next session and bring the matter to the notice of the prime minister.
Senator Safdar Abbasi regretted that federal cabinet lacked discipline. Ministers were staging walk out from cabinet meeting, he said, adding that one minister had approached Supreme Court against the government. Cabinet had been split up and there was disorder of top order in the ranks of cabinet, he remarked. He pointed out that funds have not been released to Senators. The prime minister holds Rs28 billion under discretionary funds head then as to why he was not releasing Rs2 billion, he questioned.
India given MFN status under US pressure: Senators | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Maybe you should take that up with the Pakistani media.

Businessmen call for expanding trade with India
now where will he dump his head??:rofl: this is called foot in the mouth:rofl:nice slap of a proof roy :D

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

India given MFN status under US pressure: Senators
Published: November 04, 2011

ISLAMABAD - Opposition benches in the Senate have strongly protested against giving Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India by the federal cabinet as well as the decision of two weekly offs by government.
Jamaat-i-Islami Senator Professor Khurshid Ahmad said according MFN status by cabinet to India runs counter to the desires of the people and this decision has been taken without taking parliament into confidence.
“We are not opposed to trade but national interest should be kept supreme in this regard. Our fiscal deficit will further grow owing to trade with India and India will be the main beneficiary in this way”, he cautioned. India has been declared MFN under US pressure, he charged.
Speaking on points of orders, members said two holidays a week were affecting the common man more while bureaucracy was enjoying them. In addition the economy was daily suffering losses of billions of rupees. Prof Khurshid said two holidays are against the interest of the country as it were causing Rs20 to 25 billion losses daily. He said the decision of two holidays was taken by the cabinet and it must bear the responsibility.
Speaking on a point of order ANP Senator Ilyas Bilour said that the house would like to know how much electricity was being saved from the decision. He said he had submitted an adjournment motion on two holidays but it has not been brought to the house. He said with the onset of winter, ACs and fans were not being used in offices and the two holidays were of no benefit to the country. He said the country was already in deep economic crisis and two holidays would further negatively impact it.
PML-Q Senator Wasim Sajjad said that in any country holidays are announced in line with traditions and economic conditions. He said two weekly offs are observed in those countries whose economy is vibrant. No holiday is observed on birth and death anniversaries of its national leaders in UK, for example. In Pakistan, only one holiday is being observed since independence and we cannot afford more holidays. The country cannot afford two weekly offs, he added. JUI-F Senator Azam Khan Swati said problems cannot be resolved through adhoc arrangements. He was of the view that people would have to come to the street to force the rulers to attend to their problems.
Opposition and treasury benches also voiced their strong protest against non-presence of ministers in the house. Senate Acting Vice Chairman Jan Muhammad Jamali adjourned the session for 10 minutes in protest against the absence of ministers.
Taking serious note on the issue, Senate presiding officer directed chief whip and leader of the house to ensure presence of ministers in next session and bring the matter to the notice of the prime minister.
Senator Safdar Abbasi regretted that federal cabinet lacked discipline. Ministers were staging walk out from cabinet meeting, he said, adding that one minister had approached Supreme Court against the government. Cabinet had been split up and there was disorder of top order in the ranks of cabinet, he remarked. He pointed out that funds have not been released to Senators. The prime minister holds Rs28 billion under discretionary funds head then as to why he was not releasing Rs2 billion, he questioned.
India given MFN status under US pressure: Senators | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online
whatever or whoever behind this thing it doesnt matter...the only guys going to benefit is Indian businessmen and really happy that we are going to make more money out of the arch rival and create more jobs back home....:cheers:

Get in line ,
Royal Enfield Bikes have 3-8 Months Waiting period

I myself am a proud owner of the 500cc Royal Enfield classic , The Bike cost me 2700 USD or 130000 INR , I also spent some 300 USD on High Performance Exhaust and ECU remap which added some 7 hp to the engines 28 Hp output
I do recomend the exhaust upgrade to all prospective enfield buyers , simply becoz its risk free and you can yourself remove the Mods so your warranty stays ,Though you will do see a drop in Mileage to under 20 Kmpl
So now My bike is More powerful than the Entry level 800 cc Maruti Suzuki Alto and the 600cc Tata Nano

3-8 months? lol im still waitin for my CJ5 since almost 4 months....toyota motors ppl r restoring it n im fed up!

So i dnt thnk 3-8 months would be a problem... a simple cg125 Honda atlas costs above a lakh rs in Pakistan....

Motor industry is looting people here...

Good thing... Problems aside the trade should be enhanced....Its sad some people are playing politics on this as well.....

3-8 months? lol im still waitin for my CJ5 since almost 4 months....toyota motors ppl r restoring it n im fed up!

So i dnt thnk 3-8 months would be a problem... a simple cg125 Honda atlas costs above a lakh rs in Pakistan....

Then congrats in advance, i am sure you will go for this bike.

Pakistan not backtracking on Indian MFN status: FO

By Reuters
Published: November 4, 2011
ISLAMABAD / NEW DELHI: Pakistan on Friday denied that it had backtracked on giving India Most Favoured Nation (MFN) trade status.
“Pakistan is not backtracking,” said foreign office spokeswoman Tehmina Janjua after a senior Indian official earlier said Pakistan was bowing to domestic business interests opposed to finalising MFN status.
(Read: Business community welcomes MFN status to India)
“Pakistan clearly stated that our cabinet gave approval to move forward on MFN status in principle,” she said.
Reuters had earlier quoted a senior Indian government source stating that Pakistan had backtracked on granting MFN status to India.
“From the initial announcement of an unconditional grant of an MFN, there appears to be a clear backtrack,” the source had said.
Wednesday’s announcement was trumpeted on both sides as a milestone in improving fragile relations between the two countries.
India and Pakistan may be home to some 1.4 billion people but bilateral trade flows are paltry, a legacy of mistrust between the neighbours.
The hope is that an increase in trade will feed into wider trust between the two countries and help the rivals resolve major flashpoints like the disputed Kashmir region, although a solution to this problem has proved intractable for decades.
The two sides have also pledged to liberalise restrictions on business visas, curb non-tariff barriers and bolster trade on their land border. As things stand, exporters are forced to route many goods via third parties such as Dubai, slowing delivery times and upping costs.
Less than one percent of India’s merchandise exports are sold to Pakistan, in terms of dollar value, but in September a joint statement pledged to double bilateral trade flows within three years to about $6 billion.

LMAO. Untill and unless Kashmir issue is settled, nothing will chance and Kashmir issue will never be solved.

Yeah i have heard a lot of you guys COMPLAIN ABOUT THE QUALITY OF BIKES IN PAK

infact from my travel to pak , most bikes that i saw in pakistan , specially around Lahore looked like they belonged to 1980-90s and not 2005-11
Also 100000 PKR is way too much to pay for a 125 cc Bike
Here in India a 125cc Bike like the segment leader Bajaj Discover cost around 1000 USD or 85000 PKR

While you can get a 350 cc Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twin-spark for 2000 USD or 170000 PKR

Back
Top Bottom