What's new

Pakistan faces economic challenges: A conversation with Princeton economist Professor Atif Mian and Shuja Nawaz

I would listen to them if they were having this conversation while living in Pakistan. At least then I ll know they have their stakes in Pakistan.
I believe there are enough Pakistani economists who know what’s wrong with Pakistan’s economy & what needs to be done.
It’s a common psychological condition in the global south to revere & respect those who live in Rome and are Romans by association.
Pakistan does not need help, Pakistan needs commitment. I don’t see people sitting in far away capitals, championing different causes from the comforts of their air conditioned rooms as committed to Pakistan.

You will see this struggle in almost every developing nation around the world. The American fanboys come in all shapes and sizes. There is a small and vocal cult present in every developing nation where the Americans want to impose their ideals. Pakistan is unfortunately no exception. From the armed forces to politicians, businessmen and ordinary folks. American tentacles run deep. The Pakistani armed forces send their officers to lenghty exchange programs with the US military. What is a Pakistani military officer going to learn from such exchange programs? You get my point. In Pakistan we have a small, but very loyal American fanbase. Some of them can be found on this very patriotic forum. They don't even shy away from admitting their allegiance.

Patriotism is just a fancy word. In the end what triumphs is money and interests. Would you be able to criticize the US policies if your son or daughter are residing in the US? Would you be able to criticize flawed US policies if you had business, commercial or other interests in the US? I hope you get my point.

The moral of the story is that a person can never be totally committed until there are conflict of interests. This topic is a classic example where nation is demoted to second place and personal interests promoted to the top.

Last edited:
You will see this struggle in almost every developing nation around the world. The American fanboys come in all shapes and sizes. There is a small and vocal cult present in every developing nation where the Americans want to impose their ideals. Pakistan is unfortunately no exception. From the armed forces to politicians, businessmen and ordinary folks. American tentacles run deep. The Pakistani armed forces send their officers to lenghty exchange programs with the US military. What is a Pakistani military officer going to learn from such exchange programs? You get my point. In Pakistan we have a small, but very loyal American fanbase. Some of them can be found on this very patriotic forum. They don't even shy away from admitting their allegiance.

Patriotism is just a fancy word. In the end what triumphs is money and interests. Would you be able to criticize the US policies if your son or daughter are residing in the US? Would you be able to criticize flawed US policies if you had business, commercial or other interests in the US? I hope you get my point.

The moral of the story is that a person can never be totally committed until there are conflict of interests. This topic is a classic example where nation is demoted to second place and personal interests promoted to the top.

Absolutely.
In Pakistan’s case that presence has been particularly strong.
That’s why I believe the State of Pakistan is Strategically Compromised & its been the case since the days of Ghulam Mahmood the Loola.

The other more important fact is that America today is the epicentre of Corruption of all sorts on Planet Earth, especially it’s Financial & Economic sector. Any sane mind would naturally be cautious to ideas emanating from the land of Wall Street ( Money Lenders of the Temple Mount ).

How is it that these great luminaries hold the key to Pakistan’s economic revival when the country & institutions they claim their authority from are going down the drain right in front of our eyes.

Gosh, what a waste of an hour during covid infection! No value, nothing new at all. Ultimate message - it's all doom!

Every issue highlighted by Atif is known and public knowledge. Solutions are the same that IK has been banging on about for years, and Atif had absolutely no solution for the circular debt / capacity payments - 'it is a major issue' type of comment and that's pretty much it.

Atif should have been running his department in government. Meritocracy my a**, its the law of the jungle in Pakistan. Too much false pride and ego. When that comes down then they will understand the differences they create in their minds are all an illusion.

Why alone he? Let's handover everything to the person having foreign degree! Spare one for me! lol

Atif's ideas helped 250+ countries to become super powers except Pakistan. No mean NO!

He would have been our financial minister hadn’t it been for TLP

Problems in Pakistan are very clear to everyone even the child vendor knows much about it! We don't need ideas but implementations.

Pakistan is a wheat producing country. Today price of one kg flour is twice the price 3 year ago. Same for sugar, oil, even vegetables and eggs!!! All these things are homegrown!

I repeat! We don't need guys having foreign degrees with 0 performance. That degree mean nothing to us.

A very healthy discussion indeed. The takeaway of this discussion in my view is:
1. Invest in humans.
2. Ask the world to train your youth rather than just begging for money.
3. Tax the landowners who escape taxes but not contributing to the economy of the country.
4. Think over the question of why productive people are leaving this county?
5. Put systems and institutions in place so that foreign investors can invest their money without fear of losing their capital.
6. We need courageous leaders who can think of national interest rather than just clinging to power.
7. Always rely on competent people who can make the best use of national assets.
8. Heavy defence spending that doesn't generate any revenue, corruption of generals and military having chokehold on economy through running businesses and awarding itself projects that should go to more efficient private business.

As for the example of frog, it is only the salaried class who are actually bearing the brunt of taxes which is the hot water that is getting hotter and hotter every day.

How about incompetent people who for self survival stifle talent? People who achieve success on the backs of public money laundering money to overseas? Brain drain to overseas countries where they are abused in low positions and mundane roles? Cheat today to forgo tomorrow mentality? Loan to pay loans enslavery?

A very healthy discussion indeed. The takeaway of this discussion in my view is:
1. Invest in humans.
2. Ask the world to train your youth rather than just begging for money.
3. Tax the landowners who escape taxes but not contributing to the economy of the country.
4. Think over the question of why productive people are leaving this county?
5. Put systems and institutions in place so that foreign investors can invest their money without fear of losing their capital.
6. We need courageous leaders who can think of national interest rather than just clinging to power.
7. Always rely on competent people who can make the best use of national assets.
8. Heavy defence spending that doesn't generate any revenue, corruption of generals and military having chokehold on economy through running businesses and awarding itself projects that should go to more efficient private business.

As for the example of frog, it is only the salaried class who are actually bearing the brunt of taxes which is the hot water that is getting hotter and hotter every day.
Agreed except for point 8.

Lower productivity is the key reason.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom