What's new

Pakistan faces economic challenges: A conversation with Princeton economist Professor Atif Mian and Shuja Nawaz

Tomcats

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Prime Minister Imran Khan is facing an uphill battle on Pakistan’s economy under the double pressures of COVID-19 and the strict demands of the International Monetary Fund (IMF). His government announced an expansionary budget this year that some saw as a first step toward the campaign for re-election in 2023 or sooner. Yet, the underlying conditions of fiscal deficits and an imbalance between the center and the provinces, as well as difficult global developments, have created a governance challenge for the Prime Minister.

As a follow-up to our previous roundtable discussion and issue brief focused on Pakistan’s budget, economy, and growth, the Atlantic Council will host Professor Atif Mian. Professor Mian will assess the current situation and suggest ways to navigate it in the short-term, while identifying longer-term paths toward stability and growth. This discussion will be moderated by Atlantic Council distinguished fellow Shuja Nawaz.

Featuring
Atif Mian
Professor of Economics, Public Policy, and Finance
Princeton University
Safiya Ghori-Ahmad
Director, South Asia
McLarty Associates
Shahid Yusuf
Chief Economist, The Growth Dialogue
George Washington University School of Business
Moderated by
Shuja Nawaz
Distinguished Fellow, South Asia Center
Atlantic Council

Can somebody with sound fiscal/economic knowledge summarize the pts made?

He is been barking a lot lately Atif Mian. He is a favorite of libturds in Pakistan. That is all I need to know.

This guy is a foreign asset. Look at his credentials and CV. They pushed this guy to the front during PTI election victory. You know who I mean with they. He didn't make it for a multitude of reasons and rightly so. He is nowadays a so-called expert on Pakistani economy and US/Western powers pretend he is an authority who knows the ins and outs. I would advice you to take every letter coming out of his mouth with precaution.

All you need to know is that once American institutions are involved in any Pakistan related discussion there are a pack of lies. We are very lucky in a sense in Pakistan. Not many people have internet access in Pakistan even though the number is increasing. Today half the battle is won and lost on the internet through social media etc. The American think tanks and intelligence community have been trying to use the internet as a platform to wage a battle of hearts and minds. They are luckily fighting a lost battle. Our populace is smart enough, but this is a very sophisticated war being fought. It is a blessing in disguise for Pakistan.

Last edited:
He is been barking a lot lately Atif Mian. He is a favorite of libturds in Pakistan. That is all I need to know.

This guy is a foreign asset. Look at his credentials and CV. They pushed this guy to the front during PTI election victory. You know who I mean with they. He didn't make it for a multitude of reasons and rightly so. He is nowadays a so-called expert on Pakistani economy and US/Western powers pretend he is an authority who knows the ins and outs. I would advice you to take every letter coming out of his mouth with precaution.

Please do not commit the genetic logical fallacy. Listen to what he is saying and give convincing arguments on why you believe what he is saying is incorrect rather than attacking his person based on where he comes from. You have had an entire PM that was "imported" and worked in the same Western world's corporate corridors. Even our ex- FM Sheikh has served with the same multilateral financial institutions.

The global economic circles acclaim him highly not because of a plan to install him at some position in Pakistan but based on his academic credentials and research output. Let us not shun our brightest and best just because our assumed enemies think highly of them. Their metrics for judging their intellect might be more benign and academic than you could imagine. Therefore, evaluate the person based on what he is saying rather than where he comes from. A kind word of caution.
I would try to do that after I listen to this exchange. It might be a couple of days, though. I am sure this interview would be a treat to watch.

Last edited:
Please do not commit the genetic logical fallacy. Listen to what he is saying and give convincing arguments on why you believe what he is saying is incorrect rather than attacking his person based on where he comes from. You have had an entire PM that was "imported" and worked in the same Western world's corporate corridors. Even our ex- FM Sheikh has served with the same multilateral financial institutions.

The global economic circles acclaim him highly not because of a plan to install him at some position in Pakistan but based on his academic credentials and his research output. Let us not shun our brightest and best just because our assumed enemies think highly of them. Their metrics for judging their intellect might be more benign and academic than you could imagine. Therefore, evaluate the person based on what he is saying rather than where he comes from. A kind word of caution.

Let me give you a very simple example. Let's compare two persons who have been living and working in the US. There is a day and night difference between Atif Mian and Moeed Yusuf. You know why? When Moeed Yusuf used to walk in US think tank corridors they used to call him an ISI agent. You know why Western media don't call Atif Mian an ISI agent? Because he doesn't have any loyalty towards Pakistan.

I am not attacking Atif Mian because he lives and works in the US. I am calling his analysis into question because his credentials speak volume. Atif Mian is not a Moeed Yusuf.

Hussain Haqqani is also bright. Very bright in fact. Is he loyal towards Pakistan? You already know the answer. Don't confuse patriotism and loyalty with IQ. You can have the best mind on the planet, but if your allegiance lies elsewhere it is practically useless.

Last edited:
Import data should be released in detail of each and every company in pakistan along with details of the companies from goods are being imported including the details of every item being imported including quantity, size, color, quality / grade, weight, etc

Such needs to be open to public to scrutinize companies saturating our local markets with inferior quality goods and avoiding anti dumping duties, which is causing headaches for local manufacturers to compete

Let me give you a very simple example. Let's compare two persons who have been living and working in the US. There is a day and night difference between Atif Mian and Moeed Yusuf. You know why? When Moeed Yusuf used to walk in US think tank corridors they used to call him an ISI agent. You know why Western media don't call Atif Mian an ISI agent? Because he doesn't have any loyalty towards Pakistan.

I am not attacking Atif Mian because he lives and works in the US. I am calling his analysis into question because his credentials speak volume. Atif Mian is not a Moeed Yusuf.

Hussain Haqqani is also bright. Very bright in fact. Is he loyal towards Pakistan? You already know the answer. Don't confuse patriotism and loyalty with IQ. You can have the best mind on the planet, but if your allegiance lies elsewhere it is practically useless.
Why would an economist be called an ISI agent? He has nothing to do with geopolitics or advocating for the politics of his country of origin. His subject matter is economy. Period

I am sure you would not want to compare apples and oranges.

Import data should be released in detail of each and every company in pakistan along with details of the companies from goods are being imported including the details of every item being imported including quantity, size, color, quality / grade, weight, etc

Such needs to be open to public to scrutinize companies saturating our local markets with inferior quality goods and avoiding anti dumping duties, which is causing headaches for local manufacturers to compete

Why is it always that a US think thank has to organise topics related to Pakistan? Think about it for a moment. Why is the US always so overly concerned and obsessed about other nations?

An economist cannot be called an ISI agent. he has nothing to do with geopolitics or advocating for the politics of his country of origin. his subject matter is economy. Period

Rubbish. Any person in any field can be bought for the right amount of money. Just because a person is an economist doesn't mean that we should ignore his affiliations, credentials etc.

An economist cannot be called an ISI agent. he has nothing to do with geopolitics or advocating for the politics of his country of origin. his subject matter is economy. Period

Having said that, I would appreciate it if you talked about the merits of the content he is discussing in this video. That now would be a fruitful discussion and more in line with what the OP wanted to achieve by posting this thread, i.e., an informed debate about the state of our economy and whether what Atif is saying here holds merit or not.

Why is it always that a US think thank has to organise topics related to Pakistan?
Are there any counter arguments to the points raised in the video that you have, or you just want to approach this from this illogically biased perspective.
Do note that all of the speakers were Pakistani and the moderator is the brother of COAS Asif Nawaz who has written several well acclaimed books recognized in Pakistan too as being good literature. Not everything is some sort of grand conspiracy you know...
I would reccomend watching the video.

Having said that, I would appreciate it if you talked about the merits of the content he is discussing in this video. That now would be a fruitful discussion and more in line with what the OP wanted to achieve by posting this thread, i.e., an informed debate about the state of our economy and whether what Atif is saying here holds merit or not.

Any opinion manufactured in US think tanks needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. We need all viewers to remember that the US is a hostile nations towards Pakistan.

Rubbish. Any person in any field can be bought for the right amount of money. Just because a person is an economist doesn't mean that we should ignore his affiliations, credentials etc.
[/QUOTE]

I said that an economist cannot be given the titles you "claim" Moeed was awarded by lobbies in the think tank community of West because his area/domain is not pitching the politics of his country of origin, or defending its geopolitical decisions through scholastic writings. Apples and oranges. Let us discuss the merits/demerits of what he says rather than scuttle the possibility of what could be an educative/fruitful discussion based on paranoia.

Are there any counter arguments to the points raised in the video that you have, or you just want to approach this from this illogically biased perspective.
Do note that all of the speakers were Pakistani and the moderator is the brother of COAS Asif Nawaz who has written several well acclaimed books recognized in Pakistan too as being good literature. Not everything is some sort of grand conspiracy you know...
I would reccomend watching the video.

The people you mention have no loyalty towards Pakistan. Just because a person is related to the COAS doesn't mean we should automatically worship that person. Besides, most of these people are settled in the US and are participating in a US think tank forum. First and foremost, I want forum members to be cognizant of the fact that US sponsored topics related to Pakistan need to be viewed with a critical lens. The Americans are experts at manufacturing BS. It is also no secret that US think tanks are involved in nefarious propaganda against Pakistan. Are you going to deny this?

Now let's get to the crux of the matter. Why are US think tanks suddenly so interested in Pakistani economy? There are elections on the way. The Americans want Imran Khan gone. It is no secret that the Americans don't approve of Imran Khan. Imran Khan speaks for Pakistan first. Every lie the Americans can make up they will manufacture against PTI and Imran Khan.

Last edited:

All you need to know is that once American institutions are involved in any Pakistan related discussion there are a pack of lies. We are very lucky in a sense in Pakistan. Not many people have internet access in Pakistan even though the number is increasing. Today half the battle is won and lost on the internet through social media etc. The American think tanks and intelligence community have been trying to use the internet as a platform to wage a battle of hearts and minds. They are luckily fighting a lost battle. Our populace is smart enough, but this is a very sophisticated war being fought. It is a blessing in disguise for Pakistan.

I hear you; Trust is important, especially if people are going to be asked to make tough reforms. If we have an issue with this specific person, let’s take what he has to say and hire experts we trust to review it. Considering how well they have developed and the economic integration we hope to achieve with them, let’s hire Chinese experts to go over what is proposed.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom