What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

New AWACS at bholari, Mirages moving out of Masroor. Then there are the rumors of J-15 coming to Pakistan in next 2 months. Lets play a very wild what if game. Is mirages moving out of masroor due to J-15 imminent arrival at Masroor?

There is absolutely no talk of J-15. Neither do we need it. Whatever J-15 does or can carry can be beautifully executed by JF-17. Masroor is slated to be an all JF-17 base just like Minhas, Peshawar and Samungli (soon)
One surprising thing in this J-15 rumor is, WHY J-15? J-15 is a Carrier Based jet. That is one of its prime features and we wont be needing that. So why opt for J-15 when there are similar options available if PAF was indeed looking for a heavier twin engine fighter for Naval role.

Anyway, just add this to EFT, Gripen, Su-35, F-16 Block 72, J-16 etc etc.

assuming that we are really serious with 5th generation fighter program the most feasible option is F16 Block 72, 1 to 2 squadron with an option to upgrade existing fleet to block 72 standard.

It means that in long term our fighter aircraft will remain limited to 3 categories (thunder, f16 and fifth generation) plus it is the cheapest option.

Otherwise whatever additional aircraft we get, it will cost us atleast double in terms of integration furthermore, it will again be really costly to upgrade and integrate existing fleet of F16s.

However, from political point it will be really difficult to get F16s block 72 and they are also sanction prone in case of war or uncle sam not in a mood.

In case Pakistan doesn't get the F-16V package there is a another upgrade potential down the pipeline. The Turkish radar itself is supposed to be ready by 2021 and 2022-3 for deployment. I personally think PAF will get it's F-16s upgraded eventually with US approval once CSF fund issue resolved, but new ones are a big question mark.

Either way F-16s will likely have a really long future with PAF just like Mirages where we will still be flying and maintaining them even after OEM ceases support. Similar to how US allows third party support and upgrades for F-4 and F-5s.

https://defence-point.com/2019/05/03/aselsan-s-new-aesa-radar-for-f-16s/

DEFENCE INDUSTRY
ASELSAN’s new AESA radar for F-16s
defencepoint | 03/05/2019 15:05
turkish-F-16-790x400.jpg

SHARES
FacebookTwitterEmailMore

Aselsan introduced another new technology at the IDEF 19 in Istanbul, which started on April 30. The Turkish company showcased an active electronically scanned array (AESA) design that is being pitched for integration on the Turkish Air Force’s F-16 fleet.

According to the company, the radar will be able to perform non-co-operative and automatic target recognition, while also featuring protection against radar frequency jamming, and has electronic support and electronic attack functions.

Aselsan sees the radar competing with systems such as Northrop Grumman’s APG-83 external link Scalable Agile Beam Radar on the domestic and export market.

One surprising thing in this J-15 rumor is, WHY J-15? J-15 is a Carrier Based jet.
First off - i'm not buying the J-15 rumor-mill b.s.

However, although the J-15 is a carrier based jet for the PLAAN, but, so is the F-18 (Super Hornet) for the US Navy.

But that hasn't stopped other nations from inducting it in their respective Air Force's (Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Kuwait, Finland, Spain and Switzerland).

Again, we have a better chance of getting J10C/E than the J-15. Don't wanna make life complicated with the Russians and I haven't heard anything from the Chinese camp 'bout putting an 'Export' variant in the Market.

But that hasn't stopped other nations from inducting it in their respective Air Force's (Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Kuwait, Finland, Spain and Switzerland)
The country's that selected the F18 over the F16, were the country's that
1) Wanted a twin engined aircraft for safety reasons
2) The US wanted that country to go for the F18 so it could help Boeing

The country's that selected the F18 over the F16, were the country's that
1) Wanted a twin engined aircraft for safety reasons
2) The US wanted that country to go for the F18 so it could help Boeing
You're missing the point, my good man.

Again, just because the J-15 has a hook and fold-able wings, does NOT mean it can't be inducted in another Nations Air Force.

What's the difference between the USN F-18's and the F-18's used by other Nations?
Ans. Hook & Fold-able Wings.

You remove those and its a basic Fighter Jet like the F-15 Eagle.

Pakistan does not need apples AND oranges. We need different kinds of apples to compliment the apples we already have. If fruits help you understand. I'd be glad.
Shayar iss shair (poetry) main f16 70/72 ka zikr kr raha h

I may be.

Pakistan does not need apples AND oranges. We need different kinds of apples to compliment the apples we already have. If fruits help you understand. I'd be glad.

Soon.

so maritime role will totally be taken over by JF-17's ?

Well J15/J16 can carry 4 YJ12s.
O yaar. Mairay bhai.

There is no J-15/16 coming in our direction.

C-130's (maybe).
F-16's (maybe - someday - after playing hardball - and selling our soul, yet again).
J-10C/E (you never know).

But the whole J-15/16 is falling in the conversation of kayali pulao.

[Pakatay raho - pakatay raho, aur akhir may jal he jaey ga]

My advice to you and some of our brothers that may be getting information from other forums is that 'thanday dil say' just think about the complications and ratifications that could unfold attempting to acquire a jet that belongs to another Nation.

Yes, China pulled it off and the Russians aren't all to pleased about it - but that is where the buck stops. Only China can get away with it 'cause Russia needs them. But even Russia won't allow for China to start selling their designs off to other Nations. And I do not care if our fellow Chinese Members start selling the narrative that those are their own designs (respectfully).

Yeah, the J-10, J-20, Y-20 and even the FC-31* are fair game - but lets not beat about bush that there is even the slightest possibility that we'll get the J-15/16.

The PAF knows better. If they want those jets, then go through the proper channel - Russia. And quite frankly speaking, I have a better shot of getting a date with Jessica Alba (at my age) then that happening.

*A so-called esteemed Member (currently on PDF) claimed that the US Congress had/has warned China not to go ahead with the FC-31 Program. Yeah well, they've already announced that the new and improved version is going to making its First Flight next year. So much for empty threats. Ab wo Member jaey aur US Congress kay bahir cholay bachaey.

assuming that we are really serious with 5th generation fighter program the most feasible option is F16 Block 72, 1 to 2 squadron with an option to upgrade existing fleet to block 72 standard.

It means that in long term our fighter aircraft will remain limited to 3 categories (thunder, f16 and fifth generation) plus it is the cheapest option.

Otherwise whatever additional aircraft we get, it will cost us atleast double in terms of integration furthermore, it will again be really costly to upgrade and integrate existing fleet of F16s.

However, from political point it will be really difficult to get F16s block 72 and they are also sanction prone in case of war or uncle sam not in a mood.
Fully agree on the F16 point. Most sensible acquisition. However the US arms sales are an extension of its foreign policy and so our experience has not been a good one with embargoes and reneging on agreed terms. If US was a bit more reliable then I would wholeheartedly support your reasoning. I still agree that 2 squadrons plus 20 OLDER 42s airframes with upgrade package for the 52s that we have plus the 42s. Radars and other bits from our 52s can go into the ADFs.
A

Well J15/J16 can carry 4 YJ12s.
That maybe the case but if the sale to third party is not sanctioned by the russians that would be a problem for us. As the poster said J10 is more likely than J15 but I still think that these rumours are targetted misinformation to get another platform.
A

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom