Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

C4iSR: Air
USAF releases M7.2+ upgrade to more than 600 F-16s
Gareth Jennings, London - Jane's International Defence Review
28 April 2020
Follow

RSS

p1742546_main.jpg

An OFP M7.2+ standard F-16 undergoing pre-release flight trials. The USAF plans to roll out the upgrade to more than 600 of its F-16 aircraft. Source: US Air Force
The US Air Force (USAF) has released the latest software and hardware upgrade planned for more than 600 of its Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft, the service disclosed on 28 April.

The Operational Flight Program (OFP) M-series 7.2+ upgrade, earmarked for retrofit to current Block 40/42/50/52 F-16s, was released in April following a USD455 million development programme led by the F-16 System Program Office (SPO) located at both Hill Air Force Base (AFB) in Utah and Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio.

As noted by the USAF, OFP M7.2+ adds 42 major capability enhancements onto older model F-16s, including the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar (deemed to be the top priority for Northern Command [USNORTHCOM]), the ability to employ the Lockheed Martin AGM-158B Joint Air-To-Surface Standoff Missile Extended Range (JASSM-ER) and latest variant Raytheon AIM-120D Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM).

The F-16 SPO, the 309th Software Engineering Group (SWEG), the OFP Combined Test Force (CTF) including the Air Force Test Center Developmental Test, 53 Wing Operational Test, and the Air National Guard Air Force Reserve Test Center are partnered to develop and field software capability upgrades, the air force said.

OFP M7.2+ has been a totally in-house development for the USAF, with the OFP CTF located at Eglin AFB in Florida conducting more than 4,200 sorties and 4,600 flight hours, including participation in the 2019 Northern Edge Exercise.

The OFP M7.2+ is part of a wider modernisation process planned for the USAF's F-16 that includes a service-life extension programme (SLEP) to extend the service lives of up to 841 Block 40-52 F-16C/D aircraft from the current 8,000 hours to nearly 14,000 hours

I was being sarcastic. In 99% of cases, if there's a deal, we'll know about it from official channels first -- like gov't officials, state disclosures (e.g., DSCA), or credible journalists (who will name who they heard it from).

The stuff on forums is rarely a lock, and more often than not, we end up with people angry why the rumoured deal never went through, and then they concoct other stories (like how China told IK Pak can get anything, and IK said we want to pay for them -- Lol), and not accept that the rumour wasn't accurate.

I believe Khafee is telling the truth based on what he was told or heard (as is any source), but as you go up the chain on unofficial news, it's rarely firm info. You should hear something from at least 2-3 sources before having confidence in it. I'm actually sitting on info I recently heard from 2 different people, but will still wait for an official statement before spilling it (don't worry it's not related to F-16s).
Who knows. We 'Secretly' Got VT-4s

Who knows. We 'Secretly' Got VT-4s
We actually got 3-4 different people confirm the news first though. On this forum alone, there's @Ark_Angel and @PAR 5 , while the Chinese side had 1-2 people of their own. My criteria is always 3 different people with a track record of true news.

Former (F-16) Chief Test Pilot who tested the F-16 Conformal Aerial Refueling Tank System (CARTS) is expected to be there with a F-16 Simulator. Not sure which one.

This information is based on our interaction at last years Dubai Air show. However, with all that's going on with Covid-19 - I doubt he'll be making that trip.
That's a news from LM

That's a news from LM
Well, not to get too overly excited 'bout it.

Look the way I see it, Lockheed Martin or any other Defense Contractor wants business. Money Talks. Everyone will agree to that bit.

Now if LM gets the business directly from a Country or via DoD are minor details. At the end of the day, they just want the Cash to flow into their Bank Account.

This former Test Pilot did say that he definitely had plans to attend IDEAS 2020 and was a taking Simulator* with him.

*Since the Air Show had 02 of them. I can't fabricate something I do not know.
-One was the [hidden] Block 70/72.
-The other one seemed like that basic.

For all we know, he may be sent over there to pitch just the Simulator.

Now..., based on the present situation relating to Covid-19, I have my doubts if we should expect anything, let alone the IDEAS 2020 event later this year.

Well, not to get too overly excited 'bout it.

Look the way I see it, Lockheed Martin or any other Defense Contractor wants business. Money Talks. Everyone will agree to that bit.

Now if LM gets the business directly from a Country or via DoD are minor details. At the end of the day, they just want the Cash to flow into their Bank Account.

This former Test Pilot did say that he definitely had plans to attend IDEAS 2020 and was a taking Simulator* with him.

*Since the Air Show had 02 of them. I can't fabricate something I do not know.
-One was the [hidden] Block 70/72.
-The other one seemed like that basic.

For all we know, he may be sent over there to pitch just the Simulator.

Now..., based on the present situation relating to Covid-19, I have my doubts if we should expect anything, let alone the IDEAS 2020 event later this year.

I doubt it, LM does not make simulators, of the LM Test pilot is working for CAE or Link then you may be right, but PAF already has 2 full scale simulators. If he working for LM then discussion will certainly be on V version or upgrade to it. Now that Tawain has it US not worried about this tech falling into Chinese hands

I doubt it, LM does not make simulators, of the LM Test pilot is working for CAE or Link then you may be right, but PAF already has 2 full scale simulators. If he working for LM then discussion will certainly be on V version or upgrade to it. Now that Tawain has it US not worried about this tech falling into Chinese hands
Probably L3 for F-16s. If it was CAE I would have known, I work there. The LM test pilot is working for LM, independent of the simulation companies.

Back
Top Bottom