What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

There is a reason why PAF buys F-16s. It will work flawlessly against India and is a very capable aircraft and it suits Pakistani requirements perfectly. Also to my Pakistani brothers here wither it is from US or China there will always be restrictions and sensitive technologies that can only be accessed by authorized personal.

For instance before I sat down with someone close to military industry I objected to the Saudi F-15 deal along the same lines some of my brothers here have pointed out but I got to know that things are not at all what is made public and the myths of bugs and inability to lock in and other such theories. When any country sells an aircraft it is sold to a third party who is in between and that third party inspects your purchase and tests thoroughly "that's why before aircrafts are delivered they go to an airport or base and sits there for like a month before heading to it's home destination" that third party then delivers the aircraft which itself undergoes harsh testings by its operator air force to make sure it can be used in all fields of it's respective requirements.

I have to point out one thing though there is a difference between buying an aircraft outright and getting it through "Military aid" as the third party is canceled and access to inspect sensitive technology is gone with it.

So if this aircraft is bought outright by Pakistan then the only worry is if in case of US "Sanctions" and country grade reduction it will lose access to buy spare parts for the aircraft will reduce operational reediness in times of conflict as the Airforce will be forced to cannibalize from other aircrafts. So in times of conflict operational readiness will go down from 80% to close to 60% in extreme cases.

PAF should spend money on JF17 and buying more jets from china insted of buying usa not reliable againt us :devil: cant trust them any more

Pakistan to receive surplus US F-16 fighters

Gareth Jennings Aviation Desk Editor - London
Pakistan is set to receive a number of modified Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft over the coming months, the US Embassy in Islamabad has revealed.

Pakistan looks set to receive a further 14 surplus F-16s from the US in the coming months.

According to a US Embassy statement issued in early January, "several ... F-16s purchased by Pakistan from the US are undergoing mid-life upgrades [MLU] and will arrive in Pakistan beginning in late January. Deliveries will continue throughout this year and next."

While Pakistan is known to be waiting on the delivery later this month of the last of 18 new-build F-16C/D fighters ordered under the 'Peace Drive' I programme, there has been no clear statement on the status of upgraded legacy F-16 platforms due to be delivered.

In July 2006 a US Defence Security and Cooperation Agency (DSCA) notification informed the US Congress of the possible sale of 36 F-16C/D Block 50/52 fighters and 60 Falcon Star MLU kits: the proposed F-16C/D deal was later halved to the 18 jets currently being delivered.

While some of the Falcon Star MLU kits are to be fitted to the Pakistan Air Force's existing F-16 inventory, 28 have been earmarked for ex-US Air Force F-16A/B (or perhaps early F-16C/D) aircraft to be donated to Pakistan at no cost (except for the cost of the upgrade and transportation to Pakistan). To date, only 14 surplus aircraft have been donated, with Pakistan waiting on the remaining 14 F-16s.

In March 2011 Pakistani Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman confirmed that talks were taking place with Washington for the acquisition of the 14 outstanding F-16s and it is thought that the US Embassy's statement refers to these aircraft.

Pakistan originally purchased F-16s from the US in the 1980s but delivery was suspended with 28 outstanding in 1989 by then President George HW Bush over Islamabad's nuclear weapons programme. In 1998 the US agreed to pay Pakistan compensation of USD325 million in cash and USD140 million worth of surplus wheat and soy for the outstanding aircraft.

COMMENT
The timing of this apparent agreement between the two countries for the release of the 14 F-16s is especially significant as it comes at possibly the lowest ebb in relations between the two countries.

Following the air strike by US helicopters on a Pakistan Army position close to the Afghan border on 26 November 2011, the already fraught and dysfunctional relationship between the reluctant allies hit an all-time low with Pakistan closing its border with Afghanistan to US and NATO supply convoys.

Despite US apologies over the incident, which left 26 Pakistani soldiers dead, Pakistan has so far rebuffed any overtures from Washington and, publically at least, steadfastly refuses any conciliation with its supposed partner in the war against the Taliban.

With coalition forces set to end combat operations in Afghanistan by the end of 2014, the US military has already drawn up plans to ship its more than USD30 billion of equipment out of the Central Asian country. With the Pakistan border crossings providing the route in and out of Afghanistan for more than 30 per cent of NATOs equipment, Washington will be eager for a normalisation of relations with Islamabad as quickly as possible.

Whether or not this F-16 deal is intended to help ease tensions between the US and Pakistan is unclear, but the arrival of additional fighters will no doubt go a long way to calming the waters between them.

So its our old vipers A-B's that will be given to us in the amount of 14 aircraft am i correct on this?

I cannot confirm it but if US deliver 14 F-16 in one year without asking, it would be a history in making.
When you have soldiers in Afghanistan having food and may i add diapers shortage etc with experts saying this
Retired US general Barry McCaffrey told NBC News that he believed the coalition effort in Afghanistan was “one step short of a strategic crisis.”

“I do not believe we can continue operations at this rate,” he said. “So we’ve got to talk to them, we’ve got to pay them, we’ve got to apologise for this strike. We have no option, literally.”

Now for this kind of problems they need a solution....and this could be a part of their solution...

In reply to FARHAN.

F-16 has edge over JFT II in range and payload
both are equal in agility
JFT has edge over F-16 in avionics.(JFT II)

Which F16 model are you comparing JFT MK2 too.

The latest F16/52 which PAF has acquired is a $75m multi role fighter...

What is in MK2 JFT. nothing is known

Thunder uses a chinease version of the russian MSA radar Zhuk ie KLJ7..

we have no definite info on chinease AESA at this stage its quite a few years away.

Even the Russians & EADS of euro fighter claim there AESA is 5 years away from operational point.

With regards to Avionics i wud be gobsmaked if chinease tech is better than USA even F16/52 level which med range

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

PS before somebody beats up re my comment

I am not saying JFT MK2 is bad or rubbish AT LEAST QUALIFY the remarks ie which model of F16 is JFT MK2 superir too AND WHY aND HOW

not just a remark out of thin air

(it is equal in quality) wat does this mean

nope block52 with full gadgets is far superior to the block2 jf-17..a j-10 B thats expected to be operational in a few years from now may equal it.

Pakistan is receiving 18 new Block 52+ F-16s is false,It's 14 C/D surplus F-16s from American inventory being delivered to Pakistan alongwith MLU jets and 1 Block 52+ serial no. #10801.

What they forget to tell us is that these birds are used to death!

What they forget to tell us is that these birds are used to death!

In past, PAK army had refused mi-17 and RQ-7 from US due to poor condition and inferior tech.

PAF shall also refuse trash.

@ Mosamania

well stated....yes the nature of the relationship does play a role here, as we learned (the hard way) throughout the 1990s

hopefully such would not be repeated again, though there must always be CONTINGENCY plans

what you said may only be possible IF PAF selected airframes of her choice which seems very unlikely. Blk 30 & 40s are most widely, not to forget battle used frames that may have very small life left in their airframe. If treated with Falcon Star, then more time and money required. Anyways, lets wait and watch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom