What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

img2774a.jpg

img3221a.jpg

img1504a.jpg

img1461a.jpg

img2906ao.jpg

Are they coming back from red/green flag?

An extract from a WikiLeak cable.

F-16s: Don’t Violate Our Deal
-----------------------------
¶14. (C) In closing, Musharraf said that the Pakistan Air Force was upset over what they felt was the U.S. undermining “by design” the agreement to sell Pakistan F-16s. Musharraf said, “don’t violate this deal as it would unnecessarily upset bilateral relations.”

So...we are not getting the full package? :undecided:

According to software point of view, a kill switch cannot just turn of the systems of an aircraft when airborne. It could cause a crash. Rebooting isn't easy in air. One more thing to consider is that all systems are tested prior to take off and ammunitions updated in the aircraft's digital inventory. If a F-16 is to fly with 2 AMRAAMs then the inventory would be updated accordingly. There is no question of jamming of missiles when the pilot tries to fire on a locked target. Though it is possible for a transmitting device in range of the aircraft that is specially built to target systems on a F-16 to jam the inventory and its functionality. IMO we need not to worry about the kill switches. There aren't any.

Kill switch may shut off the Fly by wire...but the aircraft must be built for manual controls as well?

An extract from a WikiLeak cable.

F-16s: Don’t Violate Our Deal
-----------------------------
¶14. (C) In closing, Musharraf said that the Pakistan Air Force was upset over what they felt was the U.S. undermining “by design” the agreement to sell Pakistan F-16s. Musharraf said, “don’t violate this deal as it would unnecessarily upset bilateral relations.”

So...we are not getting the full package? :undecided:

means what !!! he's referring to changing 'conditions' of the agreement not about any hardware!

means what !!! he's referring to changing 'conditions' of the agreement not about any hardware!

Oh Okay.

@Safriz:

Well...There may be an alternative if the kill switch can shutdown the fly-by-wire system (which I highly doubt). I have asked some of my university professors who teach avionics courses about this and they said a kill switch is highly unlikely. F16 on board systems are tested on ground using testing devices. Lots of testing is done on the aircraft's software and it is made free of anomalies (if there are any). If there was a kill switch then it would have been found already.

Ive got a funny feeling that ten years later....if defence.pk exists.. there will still be talk to kill switches

Hope the kill switch idea makes PAF so paranoid that they stop relying on US made jets and make their own....

The whole JFT program and soon FC-20 is a big step to get rid of Yanks once and for all. I am told that blk 52s will most likely be, the last high tech american fighters in PAF until something drastic happens.

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI, aka Tusas) says it has finally signed the deal to upgrade Pakistan's F-16A/Bs. The contract, worth around $75 million, is to install Mid Life Update kits and structural modifications in 42 F-16s over 46 months beginning in October 2010 - about two years later than originally planned. Pakistan is also to receive 18 new F-16C/Ds beginning in 2010.

on monday 13th dec, LM will deliver the final batch of F-16C/D completing the contract for 18 blk-52s well ahead of schedule.

now i have been on this board going on 4 years and i remember majority of the pakistani 'PAF lovers' all expressing the view that PAF will never see the 'light of the day' or in other words, the a/c will never be delivered.

well here we are 2010, and all 18 birds safely (almost) delivered to shabaz AB and the 5th squadron will officially stand up with its full complement.

what does the future hold - look for the PAF to 'press' the US to resolve the delivery of 14 F-16A/B (11 As and 3Bs) from the embargoed a/c or agree to deliver 18 new models.

this issue will be resolved in 2011.

PAF to get six new F-16 jets from US

LAHORE: Six new F-16 C/D block 52 high-tech aircraft will reach Pakistan from the US on December 13, a private TV channel reported on Friday. According to the reports, Pakistan has so far received 12 fighter aircraft. The new batch of six F-16 aircraft would bring the number of F-16 aircraft in the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) to 18. Pakistan had signed a contract with the US in 2005-06 for the acquisition of 18 F-16 aircraft, the channel said. daily times monitor

Oh Okay.

@Safriz:

Well...There may be an alternative if the kill switch can shutdown the fly-by-wire system (which I highly doubt). I have asked some of my university professors who teach avionics courses about this and they said a kill switch is highly unlikely. F16 on board systems are tested on ground using testing devices. Lots of testing is done on the aircraft's software and it is made free of anomalies (if there are any). If there was a kill switch then it would have been found already.

Hi,

What can be done is a program that can shut off systems once you cross certain latitude or longitude---you cross a certain point the trigger is initiated and the sleeper program gets a pulse to wake up and initiates the program to shut down---you are over enemy territory---the plane goes down---can't recover the black box.

Is it doable----you computer jocks tell me.

Turkey to upgrade PAF F-16s

By: Maqbool Malik | Published: December 11, 2010

ISLAMABAD – Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has opted for Turkish Aerospace Industrial Complex ‘TAI’ for the Mid Life Upgrade (MLU) of its F-16A/B aircraft fleet in a bid to enhance its operational capability.

Well-placed defence sources told The Nation on Friday that Pakistan and Turkey signed an agreement in this regard last week and the multimillion dollars project would begin soon. Sources said that Pakistan has opted for ‘TAI’ - the Ankara-based Turkish aerospace industrial complex - just for the cost-effectiveness after its lengthy negotiations with the US manufacturers failed to bear fruits. “The US manufacturers of the F-16 aircraft were very expensive. Therefore Pakistan had to opt for Turkey,” a source said.

Sources further said that under the agreement the project, that was expected to kick-start within next two months or so, would be executed in phases. The PAF, which currently has more than 40 F-16 A/B multi-roller fighter fleet, would soon start sending its F-16 aircraft to Turkey for the MLU.

TAI, established in 1984, is a joint venture of various Turkish companies and had successfully realised the co-production of F-16 fighters, CN-235 light transport/maritime patrol/surveillance aircraft, SF-260 trainers, Cougar AS-532 general purpose helicopters.

With its proven experience and know-how, TAI has improved its capabilities in the fields of design, production, modernisation, modification and systems integration of fixed and rotary wing air platforms, unmanned aerial vehicles and satellite.

Because of the high quality stringent standards including the NATO AQAP-2110, ISO-9001: 2000 and AS EN 9100, TAI has won position of a qualified supplier for Aermacchi, Agusta Westland, Airbus, Boeing, EADS CASA, Eurocopter, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, MDHI, Sikorsky etc.

seems the MLU program is 2 months behind schedule!

Back
Top Bottom