What's new

Pakistan Can Live Without United States of America

or "Chicom".
'Chicom' is an acronym for 'Chinese Communists'. US used this term during the Cold War, for convenience and to separate the Chinese communists from Russian communists.

It is not a racist slur. It is a political term.

'Chicom' is an acronym for 'Chinese Communists'. US used this term during the Cold War, for convenience and to separate the Chinese communists from Russian communists.

As if he didn't know that to start with! ;)

Both China and India a share long running history. Our language, cultures, religious believes are unique and very complexed. It isn't something that we can get a grasp of overnight. It can be quite intimidating and baffling (almost as baffling as landing in Mumbai 12AM and was told that outside is 30degrees in temperature :rofl:) when you are not familiar with your neighbours, but it's a good thing to have a curiosity to learn and understand one another. Just don't let the trolls spoil it for you. :cheers:

I am trying mate. I am not hostile to China, I am happy for its people when they grow and find their potential.

My personal experience with the Chinese in the real world is only positive and that carries the day for me over anonymous internet forums and "suppressed soul" trolls any day.

Yes it maybe a political term, but when addressed by as a 'Chicom' in itself is an racist insult.
Just as bad as being referred to as a 'commie'.

Yes it maybe a political term, but when addressed by as a 'Chicom' in itself is an racist insult.

Or a capitalist dog! ;)

I never heard anyone complaining of being called a commie or capitalist (dog) as a racist taunt though, it is just about ideological affinity.

Perception, they say, is reality. So if you perceive 'Chicom' as being racist, then it must be so in your 'reality'. There is nothing I can do. However, personally, I am still trying to figure out how 'race' is reflected in an acronym for 'Chinese Communist'.

'Commie', again, is a political slang. Nothing racist about it. Then again, each, to his own 'reality'.

I am trying mate. I am not hostile to China, I am happy for its people when they grow and find their potential.

My personal experience with the Chinese in the real world is only positive and that carries the day for me over anonymous internet forums and "suppressed soul" trolls any day.

Chinese Dragon already pointed out. The fact that majority of Chinese in general have very little political interest and just gets on with their daily lives. Majority also haven't ventured out far enough or often enough to acquire the experience needed for them to put up with a suitable response when they are greeted or met by someone who is foreign. Seeing someone who isn't local for many is a culture shock.
So I personally wouldn't assume it was racially intensional. Say a black guy sat in a bus and others distanced themselves from him or is reluctant to sit next to him. This is why I spend time on such forums. I am here not because I have more political interests than the average Chinese people, but also to keep myself updated on other cultures so when I go abroad or is greeted by someone from India and Pakistan, I will know how to respond to them appropriately and have more things to talk about.

Perception, they say, is reality. So if you perceive 'Chicom' as being racist, then it must be so in your 'reality'. There is nothing I can do. However, personally, I am still trying to figure out how 'race' is reflected in an acronym for 'Chinese Communist'.

'Commie', again, is a political slang. Nothing racist about it. Then again, each, to his own 'reality'.

Yeah when you read it, it is fine in itself. But you do get people who use it to their own individual intentions. Slowly it becomes a form of racial abuse used to target us Chinese people. That is why we prefer anyone with a respectable mind to simply address us as 'Chinese'. :cheers:

Chicom is not a racist term.

It is political.

And who says Commie is a slur.

It is short for Communist.

'Chinese' encompasses all sorts of people who have Chinese heritage and lineage. Taiwanese, Overseas, people like Wei Wei and Liu and all sorts. Therefore, one has to differentiate.

Or a capitalist dog! ;)

I never heard anyone complaining of being called a commie or capitalist (dog) as a racist taunt though, it is just about ideological affinity.

Most of the time it depends on the context of how it was used. If it was a friend or someone I know of (who I know is not offensive to me), then I would take it as a joke or perhaps lightly. For me it is a bit like how afro caribbeans call eachother the N-word for laughs but when others does it to them, they get offended. I know it's more political and less offensive than being called a ch*nk, but each to its own I guess.

Chinese Dragon already pointed out. The fact that majority of Chinese in general have very little political interest and just gets on with their daily lives. Majority also haven't ventured out far enough or often enough to acquire the experience needed for them to put up with a suitable response when they are greeted or met by someone who is foreign. Seeing someone who isn't local for many is a culture shock.
So I personally wouldn't assume it was racially intensional. Say a black guy sat in a bus and others distanced themselves from him or is reluctant to sit next to him. This is why I spend time on such forums. I am here not because I have more political interests than the average Chinese people, but also to keep myself updated on other cultures so when I go abroad or is greeted by someone from India and Pakistan, I will know how to respond to them appropriately and have more things to talk about.

This is true for most people everywhere.

Calling anyone Chi.ki is a slur or a Chinaman.

Just not done.

And anyway, Chinaman is a bowling term in cricket!

That is true to some extent but is a far stretched assumtion. Even somalia is living without any help from anyone. But the standard of living gets compromised.

There is a huge difference my friend.. Somalia is not a developing country.. it hasn't got the infra structure that Pakistan has.. It hasn't got such resources as Pakistan has.. so their life becomes compromised..

With Pakistan.. If the Politicians come out of Western @$$.. and use the resources of Pakistan to its fullest.. we do not need anyone's help.. 80% of Pakistani is agricultural land so we can easily fulfill our requirements of food..

These days it has become public knowledge that Pakistan has MASSIVE reserves of mineral.. only a mine i know in Swat near Mingora holds enough emerald to run the country for decades.. Business community is also not weak in Pakistan either.. we manufacture a lot of things and export them..

It is really a surprise why we consider a 1.5 hundred billion dollars on a term of five years to be so necessary money that we cannot cut our ties with America.. Maybe its the money which goes directly in the Pockets of Politicians..

Back
Top Bottom