Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan can become world's 18th largest economy by 2050: expert

By APP
January 19, 2014 - Updated 2143 PKT
From Web Edition

Pakistan-workd-18th-largest-economy-2050-expert_1-19-2014_134740_l.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has the potential to become the 18th largest economy of world by 2050, leaving behind many strong economies, according to Jim O'Neill, a British economist.

Jim O'Neill is famous for coining the term BRIC - Brazil, Russia, India and China in 2001, analyzing their potential to become the world's most powerful economies.

Now he has come up with a new term MINT - Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey, projecting their economies to see the strong growth in the coming decades.

According to his projections for 2050, Pakistan would become the 18th largest economy in the world by 2050 with a GDP of $3.33 trillion (almost the same size as the current German economy). Currently, Pakistan stands at the 44th largest economy in the world with a GDP of $225.14 billion. This means that, if O'Neill's projections are correct, Pakistan's economy would grow 15 times in the next 35 years or so.

The BBC in its recently published article, termed it as the envy of many developed countries but also two of the BRIC countries, China and Russia. So, if Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey get their act together, some of them could match Chinese-style double-digit rates between 2003 and 2008.

Something else three of them share, which Mexican Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade Kuribrena pointed out, is that they all have geographical positions that should be an advantage as patterns of world trade change. For example, Mexico is next door to the US, but also Latin America. Indonesia is in the heart of South-east Asia but also has deep connections with China. And Turkey is in both the West and East.

Nigeria is not really similar in this regard for now, partly because of Africa's lack of development, but it could be in the future if African countries stop fighting and trade with each other. This might, in fact be the basis for the MINT countries developing their own economic-political club just as the BRIC countries did - one of the biggest surprises of the whole BRIC thing.

This was something the charismatic Nigerian finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was keen to talk about: “We know our time will come,” she said. “We think they are missing something by not having us.” Mexican Economist Meade Kuribrena went so far as to suggest that, as a group of four countries, the Mints have more in common than the Brics. “I am not sure about that, but it is an interesting idea,” he said.

Economically three of them - Mexico, Indonesia and Nigeria - are commodity producers and only Turkey isn't. This contrasts with the BRIC countries where two - Brazil and Russia - are commodity producers and the other two - China and India - aren't.

In terms of wealth, Mexico and Turkey are at about the same level, earning annually about $10,000 per head. This compares with $3,500 per head in Indonesia and $1,500 per head in Nigeria, which is on a par with India. They are a bit behind Russia - $14,000 per head - and Brazil on $11,300, but still a bit ahead of China - $6,000.

According to BBC, Indonesia's challenges were big and the country needs more of a sense of commercial purpose beyond commodities, and has to improve its infrastructure. In Turkey, visits to white goods manufacturer Beko and Turkish Airlines, the world's fastest growing airline, definitely made me go “Wow”, and in Nigeria, I was saying it all the time.

Sorting out energy policy was seen in both Mexico and Nigeria as a top priority and each country has launched a major initiatives this year, which if implemented, will accelerate growth rates significantly. In Indonesia, the fourth largest country in the world, leadership and infrastructure were the major challenges, though there were many more too. But challenges and opportunities sit side by side.

In one of Jakarta's slum areas, Pluit, the land is sinking by 20cm per year because of over-extraction of water, but property prices elsewhere in the city are rocketing. So, according to the BBC, the Mints can join the top 10 largest economies in the world, though it may take 30 years. (APP)

Last edited by a moderator:
That can happen we get rid off those pocketing half the resources and money that Pakistan can possibly make! Or those who stop progress as well as those who keep causing problems in Pakistan....

Not good enough with 6th or 7th largest population . Like i say for India till it becomes second largest economy it would not be good enough and i am sure i will not live to see that happening .

by 2050 ....it should be better than 18th rank

Not good enough with 6th or 7th largest population . Like i say for India till it becomes second largest economy it would not be good enough and i am sure i will not live to see that happening .

Nothing wrong in India or its population or Indians in general. It always triggers me the most when I get to see the Gov't acting reluctantly to develop its infrastructure.

Sounds great.. However, lets look at it more closely.. To grow to 3.3 trillion USD economy by 2050, Pakistan will grow at approx 7.5% absolute growth rate (including inflation).. Does not look too great if you compare it with last 10 years growth (from 80 billion to 230 billion) of 10.4% or last 5 years (worst in Pak economy history) of 8.1 % (from 152 to 230 billion).. Something is amiss

Sounds great.. However, lets look at it more closely.. To grow to 3.3 trillion USD economy by 2050, Pakistan will grow at approx 7.5% absolute growth rate (including inflation).. Does not look too great if you compare it with last 10 years growth (from 80 billion to 230 billion) of 10.4% or last 5 years (worst in Pak economy history) of 8.1 % (from 152 to 230 billion).. Something is amiss

Well i was looking at the past figure of Indian GDP and its historic growth rate

in 2004-05 and onwards India GDP grew by 80-90billion dollars a year with growth rate just 7-8%.Which when i converted meant the actual growth rate to be only 33-36billion dollars.

Same happened with PAkistan GDP numbers and growth rate

in 2011 the GDP was 2011billion dollars and growth rate of 3.6% in 2012 but still the GDP increased to 231billion dollars in 2012 while the 3.6% growth rate just translate into 9billion dollars change

Last year it increased from 231billion dollars to 248-259billion dollars with growth rate of just 4.2% means having a increase of roughly 25billion dollars but 4.2% translate to just 10-11billion dollars

This year according to Economic traders the GDP will increase to 279billion dollars if it grow by 3.5% and by 2015 beyond 300billion dollars.

How is this possible?i have also checked chinese gdp growth rates and GDP numbers.the GDP increase is much much beyond the growth rate if we calculate

All Pakistan need to do is get law and order in place, and many many many Ex-pats with deep pockets are itching to come back

Well i was looking at the past figure of Indian GDP and its historic growth rate

in 2004-05 and onwards India GDP grew by 80-90billion dollars a year with growth rate just 7-8%.Which when i converted meant the actual growth rate to be only 33-36billion dollars.

Same happened with PAkistan GDP numbers and growth rate

in 2011 the GDP was 2011billion dollars and growth rate of 3.6% in 2012 but still the GDP increased to 231billion dollars in 2012 while the 3.6% growth rate just translate into 9billion dollars change

Last year it increased from 231billion dollars to 248-259billion dollars with growth rate of just 4.2% means having a increase of roughly 25billion dollars but 4.2% translate to just 10-11billion dollars

This year according to Economic traders the GDP will increase to 279billion dollars if it grow by 3.5% and by 2015 beyond 300billion dollars.

How is this possible?i have also checked chinese gdp growth rates and GDP numbers.the GDP increase is much much beyond the growth rate if we calculate

Calculate the growth rate in PK rupees and not in dollars. The figures should match.

Pakistan to become world's 18th economic power by 2050: British Economist

Jim O' Neill says Pakistan's per capita income will cross 20‚500 dollars by 2050.

Renowned British economist Jim O' Neill has predicted that Pakistan will become the world's 18th economic power in 2050. In an analysis for BBC News Magazine‚ he said Pakistan's overall domestic production will cross the mark of 3.33 trillion dollars in 2050‚ while its per capita income will cross 20‚500 dollars by that time. He said that the country's economy will grow fifteen times in next thirty five years.

Radio Pakistan-
Jim O' Neill says Pakistan's per capita income will cross 20‚500 dollars by 2050.

by 2050 ....it should be better than 18th rank

Pakistan need to undertake the following steps to go into an economic growth overdrive.

• Exploit its Thar coal reserves to create an energy surplus. Exploit the Nuclear technology to become an energy independent nation. Allow foreign investment to build industrial units in return for subsidised electricity.

• Revamp and reconstruct its obsolete taxation system.

• Exploit natural gas, and offshore oil and gas reserves.

• Exploit its Shale oil and gas reserves, using sea water pumped out of the Arabian sea.

• Exploit its mineral potential in Riko Diq, Saidak and in FATA in an orderly way.

• Boost software, IT, computer, engineering and services industries.

• Expand the network of TEVTA institutes to every Union Council to expand the trained, highly skilled workforce.

• Complete the Motorway project, linking all major economic hubs of the nation.

• Create up to ~ 60 new provinces to provide better governance through an e-govt apparatus.

• Tax the agriculture and land owners.

• Create Tax free industrial zones, especially for raw materials processing and fabrication.

• Boost SMEs

• Raise the literacy rate to 100% and boost higher education, especially in science and engineering.

• Finish the Gul train, C.Asia and SinoPak transit routes.

• Create a fully taxed housing boom, with 300,000 houses deficit every year, its no biggy.

• Have FTAs with all regional nations and larger markets.

• Have a functional PTA with China

• Build a robust, small and medium arms industry along with sub systems and advanced weapon systems manufacturing.

• Build a small but growing auto industry as well as marine engineering industry.

• Have an export driven economy but evolve a domestic consumerism boom.

Pakistan's place is in the G-10, that is where we ought to be. What we need is leadership, peace, stability and a tax paying nation.

Regards

Pakistan can become world's 18th largest economy by 2050: expert

By APP
January 19, 2014 - Updated 2143 PKT
From Web Edition

Pakistan-workd-18th-largest-economy-2050-expert_1-19-2014_134740_l.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has the potential to become the 18th largest economy of world by 2050, leaving behind many strong economies, according to Jim O'Neill, a British economist.

Jim O'Neill is famous for coining the term BRIC - Brazil, Russia, India and China in 2001, analyzing their potential to become the world's most powerful economies.

Now he has come up with a new term MINT - Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey, projecting their economies to see the strong growth in the coming decades.

According to his projections for 2050, Pakistan would become the 18th largest economy in the world by 2050 with a GDP of $3.33 trillion (almost the same size as the current German economy). Currently, Pakistan stands at the 44th largest economy in the world with a GDP of $225.14 billion. This means that, if O'Neill's projections are correct, Pakistan's economy would grow 15 times in the next 35 years or so.

The BBC in its recently published article, termed it as the envy of many developed countries but also two of the BRIC countries, China and Russia. So, if Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey get their act together, some of them could match Chinese-style double-digit rates between 2003 and 2008.

Something else three of them share, which Mexican Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade Kuribrena pointed out, is that they all have geographical positions that should be an advantage as patterns of world trade change. For example, Mexico is next door to the US, but also Latin America. Indonesia is in the heart of South-east Asia but also has deep connections with China. And Turkey is in both the West and East.

Nigeria is not really similar in this regard for now, partly because of Africa's lack of development, but it could be in the future if African countries stop fighting and trade with each other. This might, in fact be the basis for the MINT countries developing their own economic-political club just as the BRIC countries did - one of the biggest surprises of the whole BRIC thing.

This was something the charismatic Nigerian finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was keen to talk about: “We know our time will come,” she said. “We think they are missing something by not having us.” Mexican Economist Meade Kuribrena went so far as to suggest that, as a group of four countries, the Mints have more in common than the Brics. “I am not sure about that, but it is an interesting idea,” he said.

Economically three of them - Mexico, Indonesia and Nigeria - are commodity producers and only Turkey isn't. This contrasts with the BRIC countries where two - Brazil and Russia - are commodity producers and the other two - China and India - aren't.

In terms of wealth, Mexico and Turkey are at about the same level, earning annually about $10,000 per head. This compares with $3,500 per head in Indonesia and $1,500 per head in Nigeria, which is on a par with India. They are a bit behind Russia - $14,000 per head - and Brazil on $11,300, but still a bit ahead of China - $6,000.

According to BBC, Indonesia's challenges were big and the country needs more of a sense of commercial purpose beyond commodities, and has to improve its infrastructure. In Turkey, visits to white goods manufacturer Beko and Turkish Airlines, the world's fastest growing airline, definitely made me go “Wow”, and in Nigeria, I was saying it all the time.

Sorting out energy policy was seen in both Mexico and Nigeria as a top priority and each country has launched a major initiatives this year, which if implemented, will accelerate growth rates significantly. In Indonesia, the fourth largest country in the world, leadership and infrastructure were the major challenges, though there were many more too. But challenges and opportunities sit side by side.

In one of Jakarta's slum areas, Pluit, the land is sinking by 20cm per year because of over-extraction of water, but property prices elsewhere in the city are rocketing. So, according to the BBC, the Mints can join the top 10 largest economies in the world, though it may take 30 years. (APP)
this is really shit....................we will be just 18th largest....................shit.............we should have been atleast in top 10 in 35 years..........atleast.......................:angry:

Back
Top Bottom