What's new

Pakistan can become world's 18th largest economy by 2050 | Dr. Jim O'Neill

Pakistan should be in Top 20 before 2025. 18th largest in 2050 is not an achievement. By 2050 Pakistan should be in top 8.

One other thing that i don't understand is that why Pakistani govts are not utilizing the natural resources. Who know after a decade or 2 these resources would be no longer needed. Use/Sell these resources & make extra money to develop more faster.

One of the youngest populations in the world, a mass of natural resources and talent plentiful. But with the current political set up none of these strengths can be used to our advantage.

We dont need a foreign expert to predict what our economy will be like in future. We know we have the resourses, the skills and manpower, but we lack the will to do it.
Kalabagh Dam is the most essential requirement for Pakistan but we are so weak that we cant decide to build it because we are afraid of political consequences. It will take many years to build it. So it is already too late.

Well i was looking at the past figure of Indian GDP and its historic growth rate

in 2004-05 and onwards India GDP grew by 80-90billion dollars a year with growth rate just 7-8%.Which when i converted meant the actual growth rate to be only 33-36billion dollars.

Same happened with PAkistan GDP numbers and growth rate

in 2011 the GDP was 2011billion dollars and growth rate of 3.6% in 2012 but still the GDP increased to 231billion dollars in 2012 while the 3.6% growth rate just translate into 9billion dollars change

Last year it increased from 231billion dollars to 248-259billion dollars with growth rate of just 4.2% means having a increase of roughly 25billion dollars but 4.2% translate to just 10-11billion dollars

This year according to Economic traders the GDP will increase to 279billion dollars if it grow by 3.5% and by 2015 beyond 300billion dollars.

How is this possible?i have also checked chinese gdp growth rates and GDP numbers.the GDP increase is much much beyond the growth rate if we calculate
All ur figures are messed up. Dont confuse Real GDP numbers with Nominal GDP ones. Nominal is converted not calculated.Hence, the growth rate can go from 1% to 20% irrespective if Real growth numbers are around 8-10%.

Well i was looking at the past figure of Indian GDP and its historic growth rate

in 2004-05 and onwards India GDP grew by 80-90billion dollars a year with growth rate just 7-8%.Which when i converted meant the actual growth rate to be only 33-36billion dollars.

in 2011 the GDP was 2011billion dollars and growth rate of 3.6% in 2012 but still the GDP increased to 231billion dollars in 2012 while the 3.6% growth rate just translate into 9billion dollars change

Last year it increased from 231billion dollars to 248-259billion dollars with growth rate of just 4.2% means having a increase of roughly 25billion dollars but 4.2% translate to just 10-11billion dollars

This year according to Economic traders the GDP will increase to 279billion dollars if it grow by 3.5% and by 2015 beyond 300billion dollars.

How is this possible?i have also checked chinese gdp growth rates and GDP numbers.the GDP increase is much much beyond the growth rate if we calculate

That's because nominal GDP growth is used to calculate changes in GDP.

You're talking about the "real growth rate", which is the nominal growth rate minus inflation.

In developing countries, a great deal of the GDP increase is due to inflation or currency fluctuation.

what a failure....

5 largest population, and only 18th largest economy? (And that too, is, seemingly VERY hard!..)

Pakistanis need to get their shit together and start to FOCUS on economic development like East Asians...

See, when you talk about Gross GDP growth ((this year GPD - last year GDP)/Last year GDP), this is real growth rate + inflation..

However when you look at the Real GDP growth rate (the % number published in media etc), that is net of inflation.. So in your example of India out of 80-90 billion, 33-36 billion was the real gdp growth and the balance 47 billion was due to inflation

Now in this article, Pakistan becoming a 3.3 trillion economy from about 230 billion economy will give about 7.5% gross GDP growth rate(including inflation). Which i think is very low, considering Pakistan has grown at a gross rate of approx 10 % in last 10 years.

See, when you talk about Gross GDP growth ((this year GPD - last year GDP)/Last year GDP), this is real growth rate + inflation..

However when you look at the Real GDP growth rate (the % number published in media etc), that is net of inflation.. So in your example of India out of 80-90 billion, 33-36 billion was the real gdp growth and the balance 47 billion was due to inflation

Now in this article, Pakistan becoming a 3.3 trillion economy from about 230 billion economy will give about 7.5% gross GDP growth rate(including inflation). Which i think is very low, considering Pakistan has grown at a gross rate of approx 10 % in last 10 years.

Thanks for explaning

Pakistan will certainly have more than 300billion dollars by 2015 and atleast 500billion dollars by 2020.

India had a GDP of slightly less than 500billion dollars in 2000-04 and in 2007 they hit 1trillion dollars.So i believe if Pak hit 1trillion dollars by 2025.Than getting 3trillion by 2050 will be extremely easy and i believe we can have a GDP of 6-7trillion by 2050 or even more not just 3.3trillion dollars

Pakistan can reach there before 2050 if Pakistan gives MFN staus to India......

rather than Pakistanis day dreaming it really needs to FOCUS on issues at hand ... and there are many!

I am quite shocked by this honestly. I thought Pakistan would at least be in the top 12 but that it will be a struggle to get in the top 20 is just appalling for a nation who currently has the 5th largest population and it's population growth doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom