What's new

Pakistan Breaks Ground on a 2,200-megawatt Nuclear Plant Project With China.

You are not privy to the details of the deal and inspite of that you are making ridiculous claims. The people at PAEC have a lot more knowledge than a self professed armchair PDF Think tank analyst who is full of hot air.

First of all who told you Pakistan has a short fall of 30,000 megawatt. Show me a link if you have any an stop pulling numbers out your ____ .

The best estimates that I have seen were in 6,000 megawatt range and today it is even less as some newer Projects have added capacity and some of the idle thermal Plants have been given back owed funds so they have started producing again.

Bhai Sahib

I should be the last one you need to pick a fight.

6000 mega watt shortfall is only for the bare minimum
check out the needs for next 15 years.

India is planning an investment of $20 billion to produce 20 Gigawatts of Solar power. That's about twice the cost of this planned nuclear plant, to produce about 10 times the output. Why doesn't Pakistan invest in Solar Power with the same zeal? It may attract a wide variety of investors, and not only the Chinese ones - that should be good for business.

@Pakistanisage
I don't know much about Pakistani scientists but deals r signed by politicians n not scientists n do i really need tell u anything about ur politicians.:azn:

PS:
Why i m not able to use rply function in this thread??
I really hate this new site:taz:

So the needs of next 15 years already being addressed. In addition to these two 2200 megawatt nuclear reactors in Karachi , 6 more are being built in other parts of Pakistan in next 15 years adding another 6600 megawatt capacity from Nuclear Plants. Another 12000 to 15000 capacity is being planned over next 15 years from Hydroelectric Dams. This is in addition to the new projects for Wind and Solar projects planned in Sindh and Punjab. Thousands of Meqawatt is being added from Coal gasification project worked on by Dr. Samar Mubarakmand in next few years. Keep in mind that Pakistan has a capacity of almost 12000 megawatt thru Thermal plants half of which are idle because of boilers that have been destroyed by using Cheap fuel. These boilers could be changed for gas burning Boilers once IP Gas line opens in 2015 and they will add another 6000 MW capacity to the grid.

I think siting in your arm chair and putting an "Think Tank Title" can get you to make statements without backing up statements with factual data.

@Pakistanisage
I don't know much about Pakistani scientists but deals r signed by politicians n not scientists n do i really need tell u anything about ur politicians.:azn:

PS:
Why i m not able to use rply function in this thread??
I really hate this new site:taz:

Which Politicians are you talking about ?

Many of these Projects were planned during Musharraf Era.

Since then this the second govt. breaking ground on this project.

You don't much about China's relations with Pakistan. China has walked in the past when people like Zardari asked for Commission so Nawaz Sharif knows better to ask for any commissions.

This deal has been under the auspices of PAEC who have vetted this project and I trust those guys.

Last edited:
@Pakistanisage
The projects discussions may have started in Musharraf era but the final negotiations have been concluded by the current govt.

But anyways i don't mind if pakistanis themselves r so much enthusiastic about being:D

I am sorry, I stand corrected. The planned addition to the Grid from Hydroelectric dams in next few years is not 12,000 megawatt but 21,000 Megawatt as work is proceeding on 27 Hydroelectric Projects. This is the addition to the National Grid just through Hydroelectric Dams.

Construction work on 27 hydropower projects underway

So that is another 21,000 Megawatt added to National Grid.

Add to that the 8,800 Megawatts from Nuclear.

Also add Coal Gasification project by Dr. Samar Mubarakmand which will add 1000's of Megawatts.

Plus add the planned purchase of Gas Boilers which will bring nearly 5,000 to 6,000 Megawatt additional to the National Grid.

Plus add to this the additional planned capacity from Wind and Solar projects recently signed wth French and German Firms.

I am not sure if Pakistan will have any shortage of energy in next few years and for a long time to come.

The credit for this goes to Nawaz Sharif because Zardari was sitting on his A$$ for five years.

Do u have any source to back ur claim Mr.Professional or just making castles outta thin air???:)

OT:
$10 billion for 2x1000MW reactors :woot: looks like somebody got robbed.:D

We do not know the exact details of this deal, that what is included and what not.

So let's not jump to conclusions.

If you do not have anything technical to add to discussion, please take the robbing off talk somewhere else.

They are different reactors, so the price is bound to be different too.

These are the 1100 mega watt Westinghouse reactors that China bought the design.

I see the main difference is that

Chinese paid cash $$$

$8 billion for 4400 mega watts (high side of estimate) cash can do wonders to Toshiba/Westinghouse in 2006

American companies tend to do that kind of thing. Qualcomm Samsung deal is another example.

Pakistani intellectuals on the other hand do not look at global business as cash business. They are always begging for loans

Result

price gouging and 500% daily interest by Chinese.

Also add Coal Gasification project by Dr. Samar Mubarakmand which will add 1000's of Megawatts.

Plus add the planned purchase of Gas Boilers which will bring nearly 5,000 to 6,000 Megawatt additional to the National Grid.

Plus add to this the additional planned capacity from Wind and Solar projects recently signed wth French and German Firms.

I am not sure if Pakistan will have any shortage of energy in next few years and for a long time to come.

The credit for this goes to Nawaz Sharif because Zardari was sitting on his A$$ for five years.

All well and good.

Hope the loadshedding in summer will be over in 5 years :lol:

p.s.

We must add water car engineer when we talk about Samar mubarak burning hot gas.

let's be realistic please.

I will believe these projects when they actually start pumping all this power into the grid to relieve loadshedding.

for sake of comparison India is discussing new two units in kudankulam with russia for 2000 MW 2 X VVER-1000 nuclear unit for cost around 6.25$ B with nuclear liability

Installed 2000 MW 2 X VVER-1000 nuclear unit for cost around 2.79$ B

both dollar conversion as per today's date.

The NPCIL will build two more such reactors at Kudankulam. Officials from the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) said the third and fourth units would cost more than Rs. 39,000 crore — almost at Rs. 20 crore for a MWe.

Last edited:

1. Has this model already installed anywhere?

2. Who is liable in case of nuclear accident?

compare this to coal or hydro..its very expenisve.
although nuclear is important base of power generation it should come after most of power is switched to coal and hydro primary due to costs..e.g the bungi dam is expected to cost 9.2 billion dollars or dasu at 7 billion dollars each producing 7 and 4 thousand MW
however if it comes with TOT then it could be useful in long term planning.
but who will fiinace the project. govt cant finance basha, dasu and thar which are far more important and less costly

1. Has this model already installed anywhere?

2. Who is liable in case of nuclear accident?

Yes bhai,

These are based on Toshiba/Westinghouse design that is among the most reliable in the world.

China paid cash for the design and the first 4 units back in 2006.

As for liability,

ask your Russian friends as to how they handled Chernobyl.

compare this to coal or hydro..its very expenisve.
although nuclear is important base of power generation it should come after most of power is switched to coal and hydro primary due to costs..e.g the bungi dam is expected to cost 9.2 billion dollars or dasu at 7 billion dollars each producing 7 and 4 thousand MW
however if it comes with TOT then it could be useful in long term planning.
but who will fiinace the project. govt cant finance basha, dasu and thar which are far more important and less costly

No TOT

Chinese bought the design from Toshiba/Westinghouse.

Your cost comparison kind of shows that you live overseas in a gora "kuntry".

Its like a man is dying of thurst and hunger, but he cannot stop haggling about the price of glass of water or piece of bread.

Oh Bhai spend 3 months of summer with us in load-shedding. Then I'l;l ask kitni mehngi hai bijli. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom