What's new

Pakistan Becomes Majority Middle Class Country

Doesn't matter at all, as long as you keep the number of Urban cities the same. If you got 4-5 urban cities and all population is being concentric to those it doesn't help at all. Its is only good when the number of Urbanized Cities grows that in case of Pakistan is very very low and In case of India Major cities are already quite big rest are growing but at a slow rate.

I have to disagree with you that it "doesn't matter at all". India has more cities than Pakistan and yet significantly lower urbanization rate. You to have to look at it from a relative perspective, India has 10x population of Pakistan and many more cities and yet significantly lower urbanization rate, that is an indisputable fact. The only country in terms of population India can be compared to is China, and China had 53% urbanized population in 2013 according to World Bank data.

If you got 4-5 urban cities and all population is being concentric to those it doesn't help at all.

That isn't the case here is it? So I don't know why you are bringing up a hypothetical.

I have to disagree with you that it "doesn't matter at all". India has more cities than Pakistan and yet significantly lower urbanization rate. You to have to look at it from a relative perspective, India has 10x population of Pakistan and many more cities and yet significantly lower urbanization rate. The only country in terms of population India can be compared to is China, and China had 53% urbanized population in 2013 according to World Bank data.
Yes Bro, I ain't comparing it with India, thats the thing I meant to say Less cities more population coming it spoils it.....

In my opinion the problem is as clear as the day light...Pakistan has been experiencing economic growth without any doubt. GDP bla bla bla other indicators have all been going up...but the damn population is just out of control...therefore the current state of affairs.

There are resources and money...but just not enough of them....200 million people with their present and future demands/consumption...no economic growth rate can uplift this kind of "hujoom".

In my opinion the problem is as clear as the day light...Pakistan has been experiencing economic growth without any doubt. GDP bla bla bla other indicators have all been going up...but the damn population is just out of control...therefore the current state of affairs.

There are resources and money...but just not enough of them....200 million people with their present and future demands/consumption...no economic growth rate can uplift this kind of "hujoom".

Do you think Government should impose birth rate control or restrictions by law?

Unbelievable growth story. I wish India followed Pakistan's policies.... or it would be better for Pakistan to annex India and lead us in the right path....

He-men is very jelous sardar, get well soon son.

In my opinion...yes. Heck even emulate the One-Child Policy if we're to survive.

In the long run, Pakistan's population is a plus, not a minus. Countries with declining populations will die off. Lack of youthful energy will kill them.

Dramatic declines in fertility are not necessarily good for society. In a book titled "The Empty Cradle", the author Philip Longman warns that the declining birth rates around the world will cause many social and economic problems. As a consequence of declining fertility, by 2050 the population of Europe will have fallen to what it was in 1950. Mr. Longman says this is happening all around the world: Women are having fewer children. It's happening in Brazil, it's happening in China, India and Japan. It's even happening in the Middle East. Wherever there is rapid urbanization, education for women and visions of urban affluence, birthrates are falling. Having and raising children is seen as an expense and a burden.

"So we have a "free rider" problem. You don't need to have children to provide for your old age -- but the pension systems need them." Says Longman, referring to the coming Social Security crunch as the number of retired people rises faster than the number of workers.

Haq's Musings: Do South Asian Slums Offer Hope?

In the long run, Pakistan's population is a plus, not a minus. Countries with declining populations will die off. Lack of youthful energy will kill them.

Dramatic declines in fertility are not necessarily good for society. In a book titled "The Empty Cradle", the author Philip Longman warns that the declining birth rates around the world will cause many social and economic problems. As a consequence of declining fertility, by 2050 the population of Europe will have fallen to what it was in 1950. Mr. Longman says this is happening all around the world: Women are having fewer children. It's happening in Brazil, it's happening in China, India and Japan. It's even happening in the Middle East. Wherever there is rapid urbanization, education for women and visions of urban affluence, birthrates are falling. Having and raising children is seen as an expense and a burden.

"So we have a "free rider" problem. You don't need to have children to provide for your old age -- but the pension systems need them." Says Longman, referring to the coming Social Security crunch as the number of retired people rises faster than the number of workers.

The focus is more on quality rather than quantity....populations should be managed and I reckon all those developed countries will be able to manage their population growth accordingly.

I seriously doubt it will ever be an advantage for us....look at "quality" of Pakistani population per say....the quantity means nothing.

The focus is more on quality rather than quantity....populations should be managed and I reckon all those developed countries will be able to manage their population growth accordingly.

I seriously doubt it will ever be an advantage for us....look at "quality" of Pakistani population per say....the quantity means nothing.

It's already a huge advantage with the population better educated than ever before and yielding demographic dividends.

Pakistan's work force is over 60 million strong, according to the Federal Bureau of Statistics. With increasing female participation, the country's labor pool is rising at a rate of 3.5% a year, faster than the population, according to International Labor Organization.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Expected Demographic Dividend

Pakistan's 7th largest diaspora in the world is sending home record remittances.

Haq's Musings: Pakistani Diaspora is the World's 7th Largest

A reader has cited India's higher per capita income and HDI to challenge my contention that average Pakistanis are better off than their Indian counterparts.

The fact is that India has much bigger problems in terms of multi-dimensional poverty which includes income poverty, inequality, disease burdens and basic hygiene. India also has a huge problem of inequality relative to Pakistan. All these affect quality of life more than just average composite indicators you quote.

Haq's Musings: Multi-dimensional Poverty Index Captures Depth of Deprivation in India

One data point to note here is that median per capita income in India ($60 per month) is significantly lower than that in Pakistan ($73 per month) in 2005 PPP $. Income poverty rate (those below $1.25 per capita per day) in India is 33% vs 13% in Pakistan

PovcalNet

Another point to note is that agriculture value added per capita in Pakistan is about twice that in India. Agriculture employs the largest number of people in India and Pakistan.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Leads South Asia in Agriculture Value Addition

India leads the world in open defecation. Disease burdens in India are much higher than in Pakistan.

Haq's Musings: World Health Day in Pakistan: Premature Death Rate Declines Amidst Rising Violence

Ok so the % of Middle class has increased according to Pakistan's decided value.
-
that waht @HeMan pointed out..
mr.haq has own set of tools of anaylis which most of time like half baked cake.. as its a cake for sure but cant eat
----
An unpublished paper by Martin Ravallion at the World Bank uses a range of $2 to $13 at 2005 PPP prices. Two dollars a day is a commonly accepted definition of the poverty line in developing countries; people above this line are middle-class in the sense that they have moved out of poverty. Thirteen dollars a day is the poverty line in America, so this category might be described as people who are middle-class by developing-country standards but not by American ones. It is the developing world's own middle class.
Who's in the middle? | The Economist

RIP he man, get well soon.
--
Sorry to be rude..
same can be said many here including few in top brass.....

11068838_1102828316409393_1739472548_n.jpg

Now first go and read what Povcal Net survey uses then consider quoting me next time.
--
you are making things difficult for him.. :-)

--
this is trap we are in specialy i can say india..
big population one plus but same time its big minisu if cant use it ..
population is like nuclear reaction..
if you able to control it with good education ,,health, skills .. opportunities .. then it give wonders ..
but if not then ..

A reader has cited India's higher per capita income and HDI to challenge my contention that average Pakistanis are better off than their Indian counterparts.

The fact is that India has much bigger problems in terms of multi-dimensional poverty which includes income poverty, inequality, disease burdens and basic hygiene. India also has a huge problem of inequality relative to Pakistan. All these affect quality of life more than just average composite indicators you quote.

Haq's Musings: Multi-dimensional Poverty Index Captures Depth of Deprivation in India

One data point to note here is that median per capita income in India ($60 per month) is significantly lower than that in Pakistan ($73 per month) in 2005 PPP $. Income poverty rate (those below $1.25 per capita per day) in India is 33% vs 13% in Pakistan

PovcalNet

Another point to note is that agriculture value added per capita in Pakistan is about twice that in India. Agriculture employs the largest number of people in India and Pakistan.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan Leads South Asia in Agriculture Value Addition

India leads the world in open defecation. Disease burdens in India are much higher than in Pakistan.

Haq's Musings: World Health Day in Pakistan: Premature Death Rate Declines Amidst Rising Violence
--
is your analsis necceay to compare india ..
india is country which have full of NEG .. but we accept it and work on it..
i can give many link of action on same .. but then its not thread topic right

To my understanding if true Pakistani GDP is now counted included black uncounted GDP, other than officially, GDP is easily overall $1 trillion dollars now.

Back
Top Bottom